Do any of you coach basketball?

I coach....well assistant coach at least. Mostly do skills related stuff for my old high school, 15-18 yr olds. Bear in mind this is Europe, and international schools at that, so the level is not high at all compared to Americans of the same age.

I coached 4th and 5th graders this past winter.  I enjoyed working with them, even though our number in the win column didn't reflect the improvement they had. 

I wanna coach, but it has to be HS
laugh.gif

I coached for three years at my old elementary school. I had 5th-8th grades. I loved it to death. Unfortunately we lost the area championship game and then I got promoted and couldn't adjust my schedule.

I hope to return in the 11-12 season.

I coach at the middle school and high school levels.  It was terrible for me at first, because at the time that AND 1 crap was VERY popular and so was the shoot first point guard Iverson.  It was hard to get kids to play basic basketball.  Now that both of those things have faded, it is ALOT easier to get kids to pay attention to the fundamentals.  It is funny I have the kids who played for me when that stuff was popular come back and say they never wish they put that stuff in their game.  At any level that kind of basketball will have you losing in the pick up scene or sitting on the bench in the organize scene.

Already replied above, just had a few questions for those that do coach.

As I said, I mostly do skills work, ages 15-18. Also helping to train one or two of the kids physically. As a player that taught myself virtually everything that I know (i.e. had no skills work done with me until age 20 or so, am now 22 years old), how do you motivate your kids to keep working at the basic skills they need. I'll give an example.

Got a 17 year old, just finishing up grade 11. Has only really been playing the past two years. He's a lefty, and EVERYONE knows it. He has no right hand game whatsoever, besides layup drills. He'll be playing as a forward next season. I've watched and used Better Basketball personally and have working with him on some of the stuff shown (basics first like power moves, drop-steps etc.) As I taught myself how to dribble etc. I'm unsure of how best to get him to work on his right hand moves, even just basic dribbling skills. Any ideas about what might work?

Thanks

i helped coach a local church's for a CYO league a couple years back...teams that consists of 6-8 graders

pretty fun and a headache at times...but i like this age cause the kids actually listen i cant imagine what these coaches go through in the pros

Back
Top Bottom