Do barbers make a good living?

My barber has a pretty consistent flow of clients. He also charges a premium (wash is required with all cuts and that adds $5 to the price). It is always flying out to Cali and Seattle so I assume he makes bread.. Considering he has to pay 150 in rent a week I'll say he does okay.

^
Damn. Never heard of a wash being mandatory and being $5. I always shower before my haircut.

I think the guys at my barbershop do okay. 2 of them were driving bmws and I think they drive acura mdxs now. It's one of the most popular shops in the area.

I no longer go to him lol. I remember waiting 3 hours for a cut. Never again. Lol
Going to the barbershop when it's daylight and leaving at nighttime...
mean.gif

That's why with my new barber I had to make sure I was able to make appointments. 

Barbers are not cutting all day sun-thur. Maybe thur but everyone gets cut fri and sat to get fresh for the weekend. So those off days they cut 5 people a day tops. Plus the weekly chair rent. Id say they are not making much like some people think they do unless your are a celebrity barber

Barbers are not cutting all day sun-thur. Maybe thur but everyone gets cut fri and sat to get fresh for the weekend. So those off days they cut 5 people a day tops. Plus the weekly chair rent. Id say they are not making much like some people think they do unless your are a celebrity barber
You must live in a small city population = you.

I dont know which barber is only cutting 5 peoples hair a day. They must be turrible

Every barber I know does really well 8)
And they all have the same complaint: ie The health insurance for a small business owner is INSANE.

Some of yall gotta be referring to the Pablo Escobar's of the barbershop business. Real industry heavyweights. :lol:

I can only go by what I've seen over the course of 20 years at a half dozen barbershops in a few select cities. In a mid major urban city like Oakland with a population of plus or minus 500K and a barbershop or two in every single hood, 20 heads a day EVERYDAY, for a single barber has to be incredibly optimistic. 

****** getting cut at 6:00AM, what? :rofl:

I have never in my life heard this :lol: Beauticians/Hair Stylists don't even come in that early, and they can have **** the takes 2+ hours

Earliest I've seen is 9am, and that's just what it would say on the outside of the door.

Last edited:
You must live in a small city population = you.

I dont know which barber is only cutting 5 peoples hair a day. They must be turrible

You must get cut on mondays and not have it fresh om the weekends. Even my own barber who gets busy on weekends says its slow during the week. Walk-ins dont happen often everythings off appt. Plus theres other good barber shops in a 10 mile radius, like 6 and each have a good 4-10 barbers

Last edited:
My barber back home has a 90's convertible s class Benz, a 79 caddy same one as devin the dude except his is brown, and a 2 door Tahoe on 24's he has a few kids & a wife...he must be doing right lol...if I'm not mistaken everyone at the shop have nice cars,trucks,and bikes

This thread is funny. Usually nowadays barbers/hair cut people go to school tho. Seems like an alrite gig if you enjoy it. I'm in a foreign country and needed to get a haircut. Of course I checked out online and saw where other English speaking people went to. Nobody speaks much English here...so that's priority one.

I go to his shop and it's pretty nice. We chat up, and he says 90% of his customers are foreigners through word of mouth. He went to the UK to study how to cut hair/etc and came back and opened up a little shop. Seems like he enjoys his life and does quite well for himself. His rent in that area is ridiculously cheap, and people are willing to travel to come see him. He charges normal rates. I guess the money is from cutting women's hair though. An average cut/style etc for girls is probably between $30 and $100.

This is interesting to me though so let's break it down monthly (guesses on values of course):

Works 6 days a week, 1030 am to 7 pm, with lot's of down time.
An average week: 60 people
Average per person: $28
Total per week: $1680
Works 47 weeks a year (5 weeks of vaca):
Revenues per year: $78,980

Rent + utilities for his own person shop: $850
Random misc expenses, like new clippers: 1$50
Expenses per year: $12,000

Earnings before Income Tax: $66,980

That's pretty decent. Considering rent for a nice nice 2 bedroom spot in this country, in this city is probably about $1700...that's a very quality standard of living I'd think. No boss, lot's of down time, can take a reasonable amount of vacation (or more) when he wants.

With that income he could:
-Rent a nice condo
-Rent a great car
-etc

So yeah....i'd say barbers in business for themselves can do very well. I guess it just depends on what the situation is. He's got a niche market (foreigners that want to go to someone that speaks great English) so he crushes it.

my barber usually doesnt go to the barber shop til like 4pm :lol: , but he'll be there til like 1-2 am at times , in ny you can get a haircut at any time of the day almost

This thread is funny. Usually nowadays barbers/hair cut people go to school tho. Seems like an alrite gig if you enjoy it. I'm in a foreign country and needed to get a haircut. Of course I checked out online and saw where other English speaking people went to. Nobody speaks much English here...so that's priority one.

I go to his shop and it's pretty nice. We chat up, and he says 90% of his customers are foreigners through word of mouth. He went to the UK to study how to cut hair/etc and came back and opened up a little shop. Seems like he enjoys his life and does quite well for himself. His rent in that area is ridiculously cheap, and people are willing to travel to come see him. He charges normal rates. I guess the money is from cutting women's hair though. An average cut/style etc for girls is probably between $30 and $100.

This is interesting to me though so let's break it down monthly (guesses on values of course):

Works 6 days a week, 1030 am to 7 pm, with lot's of down time.
An average week: 60 people
Average per person: $28
Total per week: $1680
Works 47 weeks a year (5 weeks of vaca):
Revenues per year: $78,980

Rent + utilities for his own person shop: $850
Random misc expenses, like new clippers: 1$50
Expenses per year: $12,000

Earnings before Income Tax: $66,980

That's pretty decent. Considering rent for a nice nice 2 bedroom spot in this country, in this city is probably about $1700...that's a very quality standard of living I'd think. No boss, lot's of down time, can take a reasonable amount of vacation (or more) when he wants.

With that income he could:
-Rent a nice condo
-Rent a great car
-etc

So yeah....i'd say barbers in business for themselves can do very well. I guess it just depends on what the situation is. He's got a niche market (foreigners that want to go to someone that speaks great English) so he crushes it.

Plus tips and exaggerated tax returns.

My barber owns a nice house in a good neighborhood always at college football and basketball games has about a 60 pair sneaker collection 2 kids and a mustang and he charges 17 per cut (13 for kids) and has 2 kids of his own so they do pretty good and I'm starting to cut and making about 75 a day for 4 hour every 4 days every other week and my clippers were all in all about 100 for all of them and maintenance are some expenses so they do pretty good especially for a side job like me

Back
Top Bottom