Do we underrate Gary Payton?

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Originally Posted by DMan14

he's rated where he should be. one of the better pgs of his era. as far as where he ranks among the greats, top 15. along with his defense, his durability (along with stockton) is what is most impressive.
Confused. Are you saying Top 15 all time? Because that's insane. Name the other 14.

in no order. magic, oscar, stockton, cousy, isiah, walt, nash, nate. next gen pgs that will probably bump gp off the top ten, drose, cp3, deron. dont get me wrong, gp was a beast, but he isnt in everyones top 10, but if you said 15, definitely.

he's rated where he should be. one of the better pgs of his era. as far as where he ranks among the greats, top 15. along with his defense, his durability (along with stockton) is what is most impressive.
Confused. Are you saying Top 15 all time? Because that's insane. Name the other 14.

in no order. magic, oscar, stockton, cousy, isiah, walt, nash, nate. next gen pgs that will probably bump gp off the top ten, drose, cp3, deron. dont get me wrong, gp was a beast, but he isnt in everyones top 10, but if you said 15, definitely.

^ Westbrook
pimp.gif

Na, hes in everybody's top 10 at the position

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

For PGs? GP is most definitely in everyone's top 10. Much appreciated.

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

For PGs? GP is most definitely in everyone's top 10. Much appreciated.

Wow! He asked you to name the other 14 and that's what you come up with?

Were talkin all time PG's, so why the hell would u mention any of the new age pgs? Just to add a few more names to your list, that's why. Sure they have potential, but they're not all timers just yet so they don't apply in this conversation.

Your list sounds real PC as well, like you googled top 10 pgs just for a few names. How did you manage to go all the way back to Cousy, Oscar, and Tiny Archibald (who I don't think is better than GP) ? But yet you didn't include Kidd, who is practically a lock for every top pg list in existence.

Ill admit I may have him a few spots high in most peoples eyes, but puttin him 15 is just crazy.

Wow! He asked you to name the other 14 and that's what you come up with?

Were talkin all time PG's, so why the hell would u mention any of the new age pgs? Just to add a few more names to your list, that's why. Sure they have potential, but they're not all timers just yet so they don't apply in this conversation.

Your list sounds real PC as well, like you googled top 10 pgs just for a few names. How did you manage to go all the way back to Cousy, Oscar, and Tiny Archibald (who I don't think is better than GP) ? But yet you didn't include Kidd, who is practically a lock for every top pg list in existence.

Ill admit I may have him a few spots high in most peoples eyes, but puttin him 15 is just crazy.

Originally Posted by Vietishi

I simply believe we don't give enough credit when it comes to defense. Winning DPOY as a point guard is an absolutely insane feat.
Agreed.  Sadly, offense will always get all the attention over defense in the NBA.
If there's a great offensive player with horrible defense and a player with great defense but doesn't average double digits in points, the offensive player will be seen as the better player by the majority.  That's just how it is.

Originally Posted by Vietishi

I simply believe we don't give enough credit when it comes to defense. Winning DPOY as a point guard is an absolutely insane feat.
Agreed.  Sadly, offense will always get all the attention over defense in the NBA.
If there's a great offensive player with horrible defense and a player with great defense but doesn't average double digits in points, the offensive player will be seen as the better player by the majority.  That's just how it is.

I dont know who overrated him because growing up, me and my friends emulated his defensive game religiously. 

I dont know who overrated him because growing up, me and my friends emulated his defensive game religiously. 

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

During the Sonics glory days with Kemp: Overrated. Flat out poor assist average for a starting point guard. Defense was great, but not the best thing since sliced bread like it's sometimes portrayed. Gets credit for "shutting down" Jordan in the 96 finals, but that was more due to Jordan himself, whose shot had not been falling that entire playoffs prior to the finals. I was always biased against the hype his defense got because I always felt that Mookie Blaylock was a better defender than him, yet he didn't get nowhere near as much hype for his defense.

After Kemp (with the Sonics): Slightly underrated.
Die hard Glove fan here, but Mookie was a better and underrated defender 

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

During the Sonics glory days with Kemp: Overrated. Flat out poor assist average for a starting point guard. Defense was great, but not the best thing since sliced bread like it's sometimes portrayed. Gets credit for "shutting down" Jordan in the 96 finals, but that was more due to Jordan himself, whose shot had not been falling that entire playoffs prior to the finals. I was always biased against the hype his defense got because I always felt that Mookie Blaylock was a better defender than him, yet he didn't get nowhere near as much hype for his defense.

After Kemp (with the Sonics): Slightly underrated.
Die hard Glove fan here, but Mookie was a better and underrated defender 

Originally Posted by Wisconsin 4 Life

Overrated ring chasing loudmouthed bum.

Agreed.

Y'all will hate my list but here it goes
laugh.gif

1. Magic

2. Oscar

3. Kidd

4. Stockton

5. Nash

Slightly put Nash on the Top 5, and Oscar over Kidd.

Originally Posted by Wisconsin 4 Life

Overrated ring chasing loudmouthed bum.

Agreed.

Y'all will hate my list but here it goes
laugh.gif

1. Magic

2. Oscar

3. Kidd

4. Stockton

5. Nash

Slightly put Nash on the Top 5, and Oscar over Kidd.

He gets underrated because of 2 main reasons:

-A lot of NT kids didn't see him play in prime with the Sonics. These people mainly saw him in his ring chasing years at the end of the career when he was no longer the glove.
- Also the NBA changed a lot of rules on how guys like GP could guard other guards from the mids 90's to the 2000's & now.

He gets underrated because of 2 main reasons:

-A lot of NT kids didn't see him play in prime with the Sonics. These people mainly saw him in his ring chasing years at the end of the career when he was no longer the glove.
- Also the NBA changed a lot of rules on how guys like GP could guard other guards from the mids 90's to the 2000's & now.

Back
Top Bottom