Do you guys think movies in the 80's were more darker and grittier?

I think it was just the style then. Maybe art imitating life? Maybe not. Idk. There is definitely an intangible feel to movies from that decade, especially the horror movies. As cheesy as horror was in the 80's, I'd take it over all the crap made today. I think about this a lot. The average PG movie in the 80's would definitely be PG-13 or higher now. They showed ******* in PG movies man. Don't tell me the 80's was wack :lol:.

Things were more violent and graphic for the time then and it was more accepted cuz in a lot of ways it was literally imitating what was happening outside your window. I wouldn't say darker and grittier cuz you can find some of that today but it was just the way some 80s movies come off when you watch them they make these bad things come off like the norm.

Word to Charles Bronson. **** wasn't story book where the hero saves the day, more revenge plots and vigilante justice for some really heinous crimes. Very real this could happen to you type of stuff.

DAWG.. I watched Robocop a little while ago and I had no idea that it was so violent :wow:.. Didn't remember that at all
Especially the "Unrated" version.. Oh my.. Arms being shot off with LOTS of blood coming and etc.. That movie was pretty intense as far as the violence though..

Last edited:
Things were more violent and graphic for the time then and it was more accepted cuz in a lot of ways it was literally imitating what was happening outside your window. I wouldn't say darker and grittier cuz you can find some of that today but it was just the way some 80s movies come off when you watch them they make these bad things come off like the norm.

Word to Charles Bronson. **** wasn't story book where the hero saves the day, more revenge plots and vigilante justice for some really heinous crimes. Very real this could happen to you type of stuff.

Paul Kersey :smokin

Nothing beats that gritty 70s-80s NYC feel in movies like Taxi Driver, King of New York, The Warriors, Mean Streets, Deathwish etc.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

LOL I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the original robocop was OD :x :smokin

King of New York :smokin I showed that to my boy and his response after watching it was "They don't make movies like this anymore"

Last edited:
Quentin Tarantino maybe the only director who even comes close to matching the grit of older films. It's where he draws his inspiration from, that's why a lot of his movies are remakes (Django and Inglorious Basterds).

yes because now they slap pg-13 on everything to rake in more $. For example there was no reason for terminator to be pg-13. same thing with total recall remake 

Last edited:
DAWG.. I watched Robocop a little while ago and I had no idea that it was so violent :wow:.. Didn't remember that at all

The sickest part in Robocop is when the guy falls out the window at the end and he has those extremely long claymation arms :lol:

Quentin Tarantino maybe the only director who even comes close to matching the grit of older films. It's where he draws his inspiration from, that's why a lot of his movies are remakes (Django and Inglorious Basterds).

Neither of those films is a remake.

Last edited:
the days of rated R type movies are out the door, since now everyone is so politically sensitive about isshhh....the movies from back then make todays movies look like children stories, i always think back to Robocop.....that movie was gruesome, specially the scene were Murphy was being blown to pieces :wow:

i think the last movie that legit had me cringing was black hawk down and saving private ryan.

lmao...glad we all on the same page, i mentioned Robocop before i even read the responses :lol:

All depends, I mean the movies that are supposed to be dark and gritty anyway generally tend to feel more so these days due to the improvement in SFX.

However the older films with their exploding blood packets certainly have more charm than their digitalized counterparts -imo anyway 
laugh.gif

Last Universal Soldier film I watched was pretty gory and violent (Day of reckoning)  -threw me off because I was expecting it to be more like the older ones

the days of rated R type movies are out the door, since now everyone is so politically sensitive about isshhh....the movies from back then make todays movies look like children stories, i always think back to Robocop.....that movie was gruesome, specially the scene were Murphy was being blown to pieces :wow:

i think the last movie that legit had me cringing was black hawk down and saving private ryan.

View media item 402402

Yes all my favorite 80's movies are dark and gritty:

Robocop

Terminator

Scarface

Batman

Ghostbusters

Nightmare on Elm Street

Aliens

Predator

Even the first TMNT was dark and gritty even though it came out in 1990.

Yes all my favorite 80's movies are dark and gritty:

Robocop
Terminator
Scarface
Batman
Ghostbusters
Nightmare on Elm Street
Aliens
Predator

Even the first TMNT was dark and gritty even though it came out in 1990.
I don't think Ghostbusters was considered a Gritty movie..

Even Adventures in Babysitting was sort of dark...just look at the theme of the movie.

I agree OP.

But that doesn't mean I like the movies from the 80's any better. The films just had a more realistic touch it seems.

Speaking of which, how many directors were taking from John Hughes during that time?

Too many knock off films were released that weren't even directed by him, but had the same feel to it.

Back
Top Bottom