Do you have any unpopular opinions???VOL....2

You do realize that you're a man saying 'It's definitely not us', right?
The very fact that your entire point is hinged on comparing one league to the other highlights the entire issue. People are on the edge of their seat waiting for a Vince Carter or handles like Kyrie, and as long as those things don't happen, they get to keep saying "It's just not as exciting.
They are not respected as basketball players because they are being seen through the lens of Vince Carter and Kyrie Irving, and the WNBA is obviously WORLDS away from that sort of performance.
So as a man what am I supposed to do? Also, it is possible to respect something or someone and not ‘like’ it or them. It’s possible to respect something that doesn’t add any value to your life. I respect the hell out of professional athletes but that doesn’t mean Im going to spend my time and money on something I don’t enjoy. Essentially saying “We know it’s boring but be nice because its women” is more disrespectful and misogynistic imo. Thats why people think the money they do have is “pity money”. The NBA was established in 1949. The first million dollar contract was given out 1979-1980. The WNBA is so on track to where they want to be, they just need to be patient, trust the process and stop worrying about what the **** everyone else is doing(but I know who we talking about).

Essentially saying “We know it’s boring but be nice because its women” is more disrespectful and misogynistic
I agree.
Good thing "Yeah, it's boring, but be nice because it's women" is just a [terrible] interpretation of what I said and not what I actually said.
NBA & WNBA are examples of basketball being executed 2 very different ways. I have never looked at the WNBA with competitive lenses, not from day 1 in 1997.
I wish for and hope for and challenge more people to do the same.

she shoulda took the obvious deal

1713407048149.png

8 figure deal? Damn! Her actual game checks are gonna be chump change in comparison to her endorsements. Good for her. Get that money!

Thought the same thing, wow.

I’m curious if they’re going to give her a signature shoe or just wear whatever team shoe they drop.

Edit: After sometime thinking about it....probably a team shoe.

Last edited:
I’ll trade careers with anyone who considers 76k for four months work to be underpaid.

I feel like we’ve lost perspective. All of these entertainers are vastly overpaid for what they do.

I’ll trade careers with anyone who considers 76k for four months work to be underpaid.

I feel like we’ve lost perspective. All of these entertainers are vastly overpaid for what they do.
No no cmon

It’s okay to compare the financial aspect of women’s basketball to men’s and demand they be paid the same.

But don’t you dare compare the skill level, entertainment value, nor the style of basketball they’re playing.

I agree.
Good thing "Yeah, it's boring, but be nice because it's women" is just a [terrible] interpretation of what I said and not what I actually said.
NBA & WNBA are examples of basketball being executed 2 very different ways. I have never looked at the WNBA with competitive lenses, not from day 1 in 1997.
I wish for and hope for and challenge more people to do the same.
When you say you don't look at the NBA with competitive lenses, do you mean against the NBA?

Some would say, distractions are highly valuable to the powers that be.

I cant even imagine a world without the entertainment industry.

No no cmon

It’s okay to compare the financial aspect of women’s basketball to men’s and demand they be paid the same.

But don’t you dare compare the skill level, entertainment value, nor the style of basketball they’re playing.
When I say perspective, I am talking about the perspective of the regular human, or 99% of the world. Is she underpaid? Maybe. But she's overpaid compared to 99% of people on Earth. How can I say she's underpaid when the person next to me won't make what she makes after working all year?

I guess my unpopular opinion is that I don't care that's she underpaid. Big deal; you're overpaid compared to the rest of us. It's people doing real work out here who make 76k this whole year, let alone in one summer. She throws a piece of leather into an orange circle. She's blessed. If she wants to make NBA money, she should go play in the NBA. There is no rule stopping her.

Some would say, distractions are highly valuable to the powers that be.

I cant even imagine a world without the entertainment industry.

Sure. But I can't in good faith look at the teachers, police, volunteer firefighters, roofers, military, EMT's, nurses etc and then say ANY entertainer is underpaid.

If you feel that you are underpaid, you either need to renegotiate your contract, or own the means of production. If not, your employer is probably raking you over the coals.

This woman about to sign an EIGHT figure deal to wear sneakers! If I made 100k a year it would take me 100 YEARS to make eight figures, provided it was tax free and I never spent any of it.

Then compare all financial factors at play. One league generates 50x more revenue than the other. The salary cap for one NBA team (141m) is 70% of the entire WNBA’s revenue last year (200m). The top 4 NBA player salaries exceed that 200m figure. So how is it feasible to pay NBA salaries in the WNBA?

Criticism of WNBA player salaries is directed at league officials, not the players. The league officials need to market better to increase viewership and fan attendance, negotiate better broadcast and endorsement deals, establish strategic partnerships, etc. The top players/personalities like CC do just fine with their individual endorsement deals.

Honestly though, I can’t imagine salaries for WNBA players going up if they’re only making bank shots and layups.

That league would be more exciting if they made the court smaller and lowered the rims to 8 feet. I’m being serious too. We’ve all played on lower rims at some point and it’s fun to dunk.

I think the salaries can go up and will, without shirking the court and lowering the rims. Its girls in HS dunking with ease now. I think its going to take some "outside of the box" thinking to push it over the edge tho.

If CC continues to ball out and AReese and others in their class have meaningful milestones and moments, salaries can go up as their fan bases will strengthen. NBA players been showing up and I think thatll continue and increase. Need more celeb eyes and some good rivalries to garner more ad dollars.

tr1ll tr1ll I wanna see the whole squad dunking though. That would get me to attend some games. Otherwise it’d be like watching pick up games at the park, at least parks in my area.

When you say you don't look at the NBA with competitive lenses, do you mean against the NBA?
Yes. Reading what I wrote again, it sounds like I could have meant that I don't look at the WNBA as a competitive league. 😂😬
Definitely not that. I have never looked at the WNBA and compared what I'm watching to the NBA.

Yes. Reading what I wrote again, it sounds like I could have meant that I don't look at the WNBA as a competitive league. 😂😬
Definitely not that. I have never looked at the WNBA and compared what I'm watching to the NBA.
It really shouldn't be compared but it is. This whole conversation is started by WNBA players comparing their salaries to NBA salaries.

You sho right. Unfortunately, competition is part of the nature of the entertainment industry, contrary to what J.Cole talking about. Everything is competing for our attention. Even though its apples and orange, The NFL and Doctor Who are competing against each other.

I think Clark was/is singular

I suspect viewers drop significantly next year in college womens ball

the spike in ratings coincided with gambling tbh, and we will see if it sticks, I gotta admit after watching, it's WAY more enjoyable than the college mens game, not even close tbh.

Pro's is a different story, I think women's should lower the rims but just my opinion

at my job women's basketball was on a lot, even high school. it doesn't matter what it is as long as we watch SPORTS

WNBA just ain't interesting only partly because they're women, hell half of the NBA isn't interesting anymore :lol: I watched a CC game because of a connection I have to the GC's. I'm a bad person I get it, but Im not a liar.

Back
Top Bottom