Do you have to dumb down what you say?

yea i feel like this also, but i cant dumb things down for some people so i just end up look stupid in the end, but hey at least i know what im talking about

hurm, i feel everything that's been said thus far. one doesn't have to be a walking thesaurus but at least have an extensive vocabulary in your arsenalso expression of thoughts can be as fluent and comprehensive as possible. with that said, i don't have to do too much dumbing down because unfortunately ican't express my thoughts and ideas to most others because they just don't think for themselves and question and analyze so if i did, they'd beleft dumbfounded. when i do express myself, sometimes i get lost in expression and start rambling, so i have to catch myself and get back on tangent. it suckswhen you have to dissect a joke or metaphor but it must be done sometimes for the sake of comprehension. Using ostentatious vernacular is a dead give away anddef not a good look. I just speak my mind.

you guys are just too smart for your own good
smile.gif

I have to when I'm talking about cell phones or computers with most of my family members.

My grandpa was asking me about the DTV converter boxes...that was a trip.
laugh.gif

Thanksgiving and Christmas is fun because they all ask me how to take pictures on their phones or program their remotes or check their e-mail.
laugh.gif

It's frustrating when someone in my main ground of friends brings up a political issue I have strong views on. You make a clear coherent point and are ableto back it up by referring to your source of information for validity. This either ends in one of three ways.

1. Nahh son nahh.

2. Word!!

3. Another one of my friends comes out with. "My President is Black, My Lambo is blue". It's funny as hell the first time, but after awhile itreally gets old.
laugh.gif
grin.gif
indifferent.gif
tired.gif

Another example I was thinking about. Since I know my father gets this all the time. Back in High School I played ball for Forest Hills Basketball league inQueens. My father was an assistant coach. In a time out he said we where all playing helter skelter. The
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
on everyone's face had me
roll.gif
. Three guys litterally went back to the court scratching there head with bigquestions marks on there head. Our point guard got a turn over the very next play.
laugh.gif

I had to pull my dad aside and tell him you can't use "big words" like that. They all think that you told them there playing like a rap group.

i just omit certain details. but i do not change tone, whether talking to a kid or to an elder.

yea if u are talking ppl outside of college and lacking of a a degree to some sort, but other then that nah

Originally Posted by carlosdapaperboy

yes, especially when I express myself and engage in discourse with others while using distinguished and intelligent vernacular. People will abscond me for my superior choice of vocabulary while simultaneously resorting to their long-term memory in an attempt to decipher and ultimately comprehend what I have just spoken. When they do in fact fail miserably at understanding the proportions of our conversation, I then indeed resort to simple and understandable vernacular that is easily processed through the minds of these vacuous individuals.
roll.gif

It happens almost anything you say to my family. One of em looks like they shorted out when you speak to them most of the time lol.

a lot of times. especially at this school i just transferred to. Some of them don't even know what the word "irk" means.
I was actually joking with one kid & said something about oh yeah we can totally wear those, & be complete trend setters.
he asked what trend setters meant....

Almost everytime i get into a debate with somebody
smh.gif

Right after i said what i had to say all i get is "What?
indifferent.gif
alien.gif
"

i really dont like my generation

Originally Posted by Physicx

i hate it when i dumb something down for a group of people, but then theres one cat with them who knows exactly what im talking about and gives me a
indifferent.gif
laugh.gif

Yep.

Of course you have to address your audience so that they can understand you. I really don't see why it annoys everyone that posted in this thread sofar. People are going to be at different levels of understanding, and each person is going to be at a different level of understanding for different topics. When talking about fashion to a PhD math student you might have to "dumb it down", but that doesn't mean the guys stupid.

And as far as "intelligence" in general goes, I know almost all of you secretly believe you're one of the most brilliant people on the planet,but in reality that's just not the case. Humans span a huge range of intellectual capacity. There's going to be people you're going tohave to "dumb down" for, but you better believe that other people are dumbing down the things they say so that you can understand them too. The thing is that most people only see one side of the coin.

Back
Top Bottom