do you think jr. smith can turn into a ray allen type of player

Do you think OP should be banned for posing this question.

I do
tongue.gif

you really cant count on him if you are a serious contender. physically, he has all the tools, but the guy has very low basketball iq. must be frustrating to be a fan of his.
dribble, dribble, step back 3

JR Smith will never be the shooter Ray Allen was, but don't knock JR. He has been one of the most athletic SGs in the league since he entered the NBA.

When I first started to watch Smith play with the Nuggets the first guy that came to mind was Ricky Davis, both guys had about the same IQ and similar skillsets. Davis' numbers are a bit more inflated due to the fact several of the bad teams he played for let him start and but per 36 but guys are about the same.
Hes currently closest to Jamal Crawford, both play 6th man roles but Crawford a more explosive scorer and more respected 6th man in the league, especially after Crawford was a 6th man for a playoff team.

ricky davis is a great comparison for jr early in his career except for the fact that swish is a better shooter. i'm a fan of earl, he gives it his all on both ends of the court. just sometimes, he loses concentration and things get a little ugly, but that's life.

JR is no way close to Ray Allen if you're comparing their games.

I don't agree with some people in this thread that said he can't play defense. If you watch Knick games now, you see him putting the effort every night. Is he perfect on defense? No, he isn'. He over commits sometimes and picks up cheap fouls, but he's toned a lot of that down.

On the offensive end--he's really improved. He doesn't always look to shoot the ball and dribble his way to a brick or turnover. Watch a Knicks game and you'll see him make that extra pass to the open man. In most cases that open guy is Novak :lol:

Woodson seemed to really get to him. Last year you can tell Woodson struggled with that, but he finally got to his head this year. I guess it's because he stuck by JR and showed that he has faith in his game. JR was very receptive to that.

Like what some people have said earlier, he would be a started on most NBA teams, but he's taken his 6th man role well and made the best of it. Dude has shown professionalism and seemed to have changed for the better. When he plays well and works with the team on the defensive, the Knicks win.

But going back to what OP said. JR Smith is no shape or form close Ray Allen.

If Woodson coached JR earlier in his career, maybe this would be a different story.

Last edited:
In recent years only Mike Beasley has wasted more talented than JR Smith.

If JR didn't have that jumper I doubt he would be in the league.

Lets not insult Ray Allen by comparing JR to him.

Def
He would average 20+ a night if you put him in OJ Mayo's place right now where he needs to be the #1 scorer. Not sure how many games that team would win.....but he would definitely put up buckets.

Yeah, most definitely!!!!!

In recent years only Mike Beasley has wasted more talented than JR Smith.
If JR didn't have that jumper I doubt he would be in the league.
Lets not insult Ray Allen by comparing JR to him.

not so sure about that.. i always thought that JR and Deshawn Stevenson would be stars, when they came out of high school.. Beasley, i never ranked that high..

Tonight is a prime example of what kind of player JR Smith is. He'll get himself into a shooting slump, make a bad decision in a game winning 2 on 1 fast break opportunity. But dude will find a way to make the game winning steal and then game winning shot.

He misses open looks all night, but makes the impossible, tough shots :lol:

View media item 148817

Everybody want to shoot like Ray....not everyone wants to put the work and preperation in that Ray does.

Dude is OCD and a perfectionist.

Only thing close to perfection JR Smith has done is.......the club or lounge with said name.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom