Does anyone know people that were home schooled?

A few questions...

How much does it "cost" to homeschool 1 child?
Is homework assigned?
Would you guys learn year round or have semesters and breaks etc?
Is it always a parent homeschooling or can people be paid to do this?
How do grades work or get reported etc?

Originally Posted by Animal Thug1539

I did home school in my senior year of high school, along with going to school traditionally. Reason was I dropped out of the 10th grade while being enrolled in the Cleveland Public Schools system. I never learned anything from my last year of middle school all the way through high school being enrolled there, because of the way the teachers taught in Cleveland. So I dropped out. I was literally in the streets during that time.
Than when we finally moved out of the hood, we moved to the burbs and I finished my last year at another school along with doing home school to catch up from being behind by dropping out. I earned Honor Roll status that way, with my GPA being so high. I was literally busy all day and night though for a while. But I had no choice. Graduated and walked across the stage, something I thought I'd never do. 
smokin.gif
Explains your SN
grin.gif

Spoiler [+]
Jokes man. Dont tell Dirty to ban me
laugh.gif

I remember when I was a kid I would beg my mom to home school me because I didn't like school, so glad she never let me.

I home school my daughter. Her reading, writing, and vocabulary are at 4th grade levels (she's 6). She plays soccer, and has a lot of friends.

When she takes tests there is a certified teacher that proctors and grades her tests.

I was home schooled through high school. Not for religious reasons, my Mom just didn't think public education was doing enough and I happened to live in a terrible part of town where the high school was pretty damn grimy. I think I turned out pretty well. I worked straight through and out of high school and am In college ready to graduate and move to a 4 year.

The religious %*$ was never my thing cuz we had looked into home school study groups and all of them were holy roller whack jobs lol.

Originally Posted by RealRubirosa

Yes, yes, and yes.

If you want somebody to be caught totally off guard, an open target to anybody trying to take advantage of them, and socially ******ed when they get into the real world and have to deal with a diverse group of people, homeschool them.

Pretty ignorant thing to say.

I grew up in the country in the northeast and I knew a lot of kids who were homeschooled 1st-12th grade. Of the 15 or so kids I knew, 10 of them went on to very good schools: swarthmore, uc berkley, UCLA, BC, etc. They're parents kept them out of public schools cause they didn't feel they'd provide an adequite education for them to succeed. And zero of the families were religious, and zero of the kids were "socially ******ed." They were still able to play on the local high schools sports teams and they were allowed to leave their houses, so enough of the assumption that they would be locked in the basement with no interaction with people. 

Two of my friends(brothers) were home schooled because the older one would get into a lot of fights. He's a little slow, he was even in the special ed classes so I can see why their mom pulled them.

I remember towards the end of 12th grade, we would rag on em about it. Asking them if they took their mom to prom. Or we'd ask to see their yearbook.
laugh.gif

Didn't want to clog up the FLA shooter thread but how does this work for yall.?

Lesson plans
Curriculum

Just interested in how yall do this
First off, each state has different levels regulations pertaining to notification and record keeping. More strict states have a say in what you can teach.

State-Homeschooling-Laws-Map.png

Im in a more loosely regulated state. You do need a curriculum to do this. There are a ton out there and you gotta find the one you believe is most effective. Got a 4th grader, 2nd grader, and preschooler. We do school all year round Mon - Thur but we take days off for life events. This is more realistic and reflective of the work environment. It also gives us the most flexibility. There a huge homeschools networks you can join to link up with folks to go on field trips (they go to firehouse, museum etc.), We are apart of small groups and we do coordinated presentations (both in person and online). Allot of hands on learning and experiments and exploration. These kids love learning new stuff.

I have a gang of kids so that helps with social interaction, and they all have a bunch of friends we meet with about once a week. They have pen pals, go to a girl scout type group weekly. They defy all the socially awkward stereotype. They're always the ones introducing themselves to people and carrying the conversation. They are pretty expressive and articulate (we never did baby talk the ever). The learning never stops really , cus I always have used words they don't know and have them look it up.

I make my wife give online assessments each fall to see where they are comparative to the country of kids their age ( they are always reading at a grade higher level and more advanced in math- excluding preschooler). Wife feels like I don't trust by doing that, but I like seeing the raw data. I don't wanna be fooled by slick conversation and find out my kids are hollow or inept in anyway.

But this is one of our best decisions ever. It takes sacrafice of having one income but to me its more that worth it. We raise our kids 100% and the peace of mind is priceless. Dont gotta ever think about bullying. There's no one sitting next to them in class trying to undo the morals and values I try to instill in them. And I have a hand in shaping their world perspective. I never have to ask, what are my kids learning at school?

Last edited:
When I was in middle school this one chick moved round the way and went from home school to our local public school ...Shorty was a freak, made her my lil girlfriend for like 2 weeks so I could feel on her in the back of the bus and do freaky stuff in the laundry room :pimp:

Hmmm come to think of it now that I’m grown, stuff like what we were doing is probly why ppl home school their kids :lol:

i dropped out of high school in 10th grade i eventually ended up doing alil home school high school diploma joint a few years later that 1 of my cousins who did it put me onto....took a few test( on my own time) & boom gave me a diploma

Back
Top Bottom