Does Paypal Protect Sellers At All?? Vol. Yes, Another Scam Thread

This is what I have always been scared of.  In fact when I have sold some more expensive items to people through ebay who had small feedback, etc and I didn't want to sell to them but they denied can celling the sale I did in fact videotape myself packing up the shoes and writing the label on. Although what someone above said I guess thats probably not even good enough you would need the whole process to the very end seamlessly videotaped.  

The problem is not ebay/paypal.  They seriously need to reevaluate the process.  What is stopping me from buying a pair of Yeezys right now and doing the same a. there were rocks in the box b. there was a different pair of shoes in the box c. say they were fakes, and go out and actually buy a pair of fakes and say thats what he sent and just keep the real ones and get money back.  Its unbelievable

Its almost inviting scammers to do it.  People like that are always going to be out there.  No matter where or what you're selling and if paypal continues to make it so easy and foolproof to do it, its going to continue to happen.

Truly very unsettling as someone who sells a lot on ebay and sometimes through paypal to save on ebay fees,,,and I am sorry this happened to you OP  
tired.gif

Last edited:
yea PayPal is definitely designed in favor of buyers, not sellers. hence the OD fees and BS things they do to make buyers come out on top. I recently lost a case thru ebay and paypal for some BS to an buyer.

"I see your point sir"...

smfh, of course they see your point, they're not going to do anything anyway.

and I was almost scammed from someone on a military base as well.

I wonder if you can talk/find "their superiors" and make things very tough for them.

F that if you can get him in trouble in the military then do it. Call the military police in Dover and say you wanna report a theft. Even if they blow you off give them his info and yours. DO IT!

Yal really think it's worth it to call the base? I personally think they will blow me off, especially since he won the Paypal case.

Buyers clearly are the only ones protected. Just be cautious if you ever want to sell.
Here's the problem through, being cautious isn't going to do anything.  Even in an air tight case, it seems that paypal will suck it up and side with the buyer no matter what?

Honestly, what is stopping you from going out and dropping 3,000$ on some Yeezy 2's right now and pulling this scheme and ending up with free shoes worth 3,000$?   

Nothing, except they could be able to post your information online, you know?

Some scary crap! Between the economy, more people with poor morals,  the way buying sneakers has become a game, and people so thirsty to look cool, the odds are extremely against you

Does anybody have actual methods to protect yourself?  Like I said before, I have gone to the extreme to protect myself and still I wonder if thats enough.

If I sell an item for more than 200$ here are my standards:

- person has to be paypal address confirmed with at least 50 100% feedback (I will bump that up if the item is more expensive)

- Obvisouly only ship to the person whos name is connected to the paypal account, confirmed address, etc.

- Video tape the item in detail and packing and writing the addresses on the package

- Ship with signature confirmation

- Insure it for the sale amount plus shipping

-Upload the tracking information to ebay or paypal or both

- Save mailing receipt and payment receipt, forever

I don't video tape myself turning it in to the post office or anything like that. But that makes me think, would these steps even protect me?  It seems like you would have to have seemless video evidence from start to finish.  And even then, who the heck knows with paypal. Scary!

Last edited:
That is very unfortunate. See if your shipping provider will at least refund you back for the shoes.

Hmm, maybe I'll call the base and just explain the situation and let them know this is the kind of rep he's giving them. I have a claim filed with USPS so we'll see if I get to claim insurance or not. One of the things they ask is for the person who received the package to turn it back in to the post office and that DEFINITELY isn't going to happen with this guy. This could get interesting.

if your pressing his base regarding the issue and usps joins in on it to, some type of pressure will be applied and they'll see its not an issue they can just sweep under the rug. be persistent until you get results you desire.

Not to thread jack but I refunded someone on ebay thinking they would just hold the funds til he sent back the nintendo 3ds I sold him well th gave him his money back right away and I have yet to get th 3ds back.. I of course would not of refunded him first knowing the situation I reportd it to ebay and they haven't said a word .. If anything ima call them tomorrow I think it's crazy they would refund him with out me getting my stuff back..

Op I hope all works out for you

LOL paypal aint gonna do JACK

if YOU click refund, you forfeit

damn, OP was this just a personal sale between someone, or was this on Ebay?

So this could happen with just transaction from Niketalk classifieds then?

Here's the problem through, being cautious isn't going to do anything.  Even in an air tight case, it seems that paypal will suck it up and side with the buyer no matter what?

Honestly, what is stopping you from going out and dropping 3,000$ on some Yeezy 2's right now and pulling this scheme and ending up with free shoes worth 3,000$?   

Nothing, except they could be able to post your information online, you know?

Some scary crap! Between the economy, more people with poor morals,  the way buying sneakers has become a game, and people so thirsty to look cool, the odds are extremely against you

Does anybody have actual methods to protect yourself?  Like I said before, I have gone to the extreme to protect myself and still I wonder if thats enough.

If I sell an item for more than 200$ here are my standards:

- person has to be paypal address confirmed with at least 50 100% feedback (I will bump that up if the item is more expensive)

- Obvisouly only ship to the person whos name is connected to the paypal account, confirmed address, etc.

- Video tape the item in detail and packing and writing the addresses on the package
- Ship with signature confirmation

- Insure it for the sale amount plus shipping
-Upload the tracking information to ebay or paypal or both
- Save mailing receipt and payment 
recei
pt, forever

I don't video tape myself turning it in to the post office or anything like that. But that makes me think, would these steps even protect me?  It seems like you would have to have seemless video evidence from start to finish.  And even then, who the heck knows with paypal. Scary!

There seems to be a misconception out there that you will NEVER win as a seller. Matter of fact I can't recall a time when I have ever lost anything due to paypal. Only time I ever lost is when I was trying to save either myself or my buyers shipping costs and didn't get the proper tracking. Usually international orders. I have never taken video or any other pictures. As long as you get the required tracking there really is nothing else to do or worry about. I had a guy file a chargeback on his CC for "unauthorized use" almost 3 months after the items were delivered, $250 worth. I uploaded regular tracking numbers on paypal, called them, and the money was back in my account within an hour. As far as OPs situation, I tend to believe there is more to the story or he hasn't relayed his case to the proper person coherently. I would definitely be putting in more work.

Hmm, maybe I'll call the base and just explain the situation and let them know this is the kind of rep he's giving them. I have a claim filed with USPS so we'll see if I get to claim insurance or not. One of the things they ask is for the person who received the package to turn it back in to the post office and that DEFINITELY isn't going to happen with this guy. This could get interesting.

Have you gone to either the closed case details or transaction details and looked for a link to "appeal case". Most times you can automatically appeal a decision. Also, i would call again and very politely explain your situation to a new set of ears. I have been completely shut out by certain paypal/ebay employees and called back and had someone different resolve my issue. If they refuse ask for a supervisor and explain to them. I think you want to emphasize the proven weight of the package. At the very least, a supervisor should be able to give you insight as to how they can claim he got an empty box if the receipt shows 4 pounds being mailed? Phrase it as a question, how can you protect yourself in the future against similar claims if the weight of the package is not taken into account. Asl what could have been done on your end to win the case. They are either going to have an answer based on their policy or they are going to dig deeper into it.

This is the number to usps claims, 1-866-974-2733. I would also calmly explain your situation to them as well. Someone on a military base claimed that their box was empty when they got it but that your receipt shows it weighing 4 pounds and that you are concerned that the package was stolen or tampered with and what you need to do to get reimbursed. You should have both a tracking number and a customs label number for them to use to try to figure things out. Ask questions about their investigative process, it may help you to know what they are looking for when you call paypal or the military base. Do call the base armed with usps investigation info, ask to speak to a superior and see if they are willing to assist in the investigation. Throw in a comment about mail fraud and/or tampering being a federal offense, make it sound real official, someone with some rank will talk to you. Don't give up man, I have a feeling if you push it, things will end in your favor.

Last edited:
I've been selling on eBay for over 12 years and have pretty much encountered every scam you can imagine.
In this case I can see why they aren't covering you, this is a situation the Post office is going to have to deal with, they should refund you your money. Like many have said theres a good chance the item could have been stolen and they will launch an investigation. You should receive your money back if you took out insurance. Make sure you take down the names of every one you speak with as well as the dates and times you spoke with them. If you get no where contact the Better Business Bureau. Every single time I've been screwed and filed a report with them I've gotten results.

@FrankMatthews appreciate the advise man. I'm gonna keep working on this and keep you guys updated.

I've been selling on eBay for over 12 years and have pretty much encountered every scam you can imagine.
In this case I can see why they aren't covering you, this is a situation the Post office is going to have to deal with, they should refund you your money. Like many have said theres a good chance the item could have been stolen and they will launch an investigation. You should receive your money back if you took out insurance. Make sure you take down the names of every one you speak with as well as the dates and times you spoke with them. If you get no where contact the Better Business Bureau. Every single time I've been screwed and filed a report with them I've gotten results.
you can contact the BBB regarding the post office? i tried to do that one time, and it said i couldnt file a claim towards them

Back
Top Bottom