Does Paypal Protect Sellers At All?? Vol. Yes, Another Scam Thread

Update: My claim was approved by USPS. Just waiting to receive the check in the mail for my $200. He must have complied with USPS request to show proof of empty package. Still pissed that he got a pair of free shoes.

That's pretty wack, in the end it was either gonna be you, USPS or PayPal who loses. Scammer made off without any repercussion.

Might be a bit tedious, but I recommend that you record yourself packing the box at the facility (USPS, FedEX, UPS) and physically handing the package over to the sales rep. Make sure you record the shipping label to capture your address, seller's address
This is the ONLY way if you are dealing with paypal.  Paypal will ALWAYS side with the buyer unless you have BULLET PROOF evidence.  

even that wont work, pp has no way of knowing if the box that was filmed at the post office is the box sent to the buyer or if the video was altered in any way. this is the same reason why the will not accept any communication (emails, texts, recorded messages) out side of pp.

Good point. I'll look into it and see if I can cause some problems for him. People like this deserve every bit of trouble that comes their way.

Anyone else that would like to help feel free to PM me for his additional info.

I'll say this again, base personal more than likely opened and inspected the package before giving it to him so it is possible he is telling the truth. It's also possible that this is part of the scam, having his boy who works in the base post office steal the contents of the package and then forward it. I'd contact the base and inquire about the package mentioning it's weight and what you expect happened. Talk to a supervisor.

talk to his commanding officer.

I've been selling on eBay for over 12 years and have pretty much encountered every scam you can imagine.

In this case I can see why they aren't covering you, this is a situation the Post office is going to have to deal with, they should refund you your money. Like many have said theres a good chance the item could have been stolen and they will launch an investigation. You should receive your money back if you took out insurance. Make sure you take down the names of every one you speak with as well as the dates and times you spoke with them. If you get no where contact the Better Business Bureau. Every single time I've been screwed and filed a report with them I've gotten results.
you can contact the BBB regarding the post office? i tried to do that one time, and it said i couldnt file a claim towards them

Yeah, Im sure you can't. They are a government entity when it's convenient, and a private entity when it's not, just like the DMV.

Same exact thing happened to me . When I talked to the Paypal reps on the phone they said "I know you're not lying but there's nothing we can do" I said so basically you guys protect only the buyers and not the sellers? And he replied "yeah basically":smh::x I didn't get insurance on the package, so figured it was not point of filing the claim so I took the $200 L. I'm done selling shoes on here though.

Received my check in the mail today from USPS. $200 plus the $15 I spent on shipping. As long as I got my money back I guess. I definitely learned a hard lesson about selling though. Some of these people man 
mean.gif

glad to hear u got your money back. it's disgusting to see how easy that was for the scammer (no evidence)

i don't remember where but somebody came up with an idea where you tape the box and if it's ripped then it shows that the buyer received the shoes...somethin like that....sorry, random

wow good stuff you went thru thick to sell them. I got scammed once now i ask for ID and matching address if they can't comply I ain't doing business.

Learned a bit going through this thread. Trying to start something (refer to sig) and I am going to be using my Paypal to manage funds.

Is it possible that I can be scammed by people sending me money?

I don't sell anything anymore, but I had thought of a simple trick every time I sold something online. I'd always go communicate with the buyer before shipping out and make small talk or whatever...just make sure we had some type of convo going beforehand. then I'd go to google maps when I got their shipping address and look for a random street somewhat nearby in their neighborhood and message the buyer saying something along the lines of, "wooow you live in blahblah city? I was actually just there a couple months ago. I've got a few cousins that stay out there on blahblah street. we should go ball next time I'm out there."

I never had any problems selling and I'm sure it would have a potential scammer shook thinking that there's people that live right near him that could easily visit him if he tried to pull something.

glad you got your money back man. What a headache just to sell a pairs of kicks... 

Dang sorry op it didn't work out in your favor... That's why I quit selling my shoes online and stick to Craigslist

how are you selling different on craigslist? are you accepting cash in-person (or other means) and arrange to meet buyer?

Learned a bit going through this thread. Trying to start something (refer to sig) and I am going to be using my Paypal to manage funds.

Sent as a service or good, yeah they can still file a claim for some reason or another. I think in situations like these, you'd be the one more inclined to scam people (not saying you would). Someone pays you $20 bucks for a cleaning and sends you their shoes--you never send the shoe back--they file a claim with Paypal and probably only get their money back. Unless you add some type of insurance.

Glad you got your money back OP. I'm yet to have an issue pop up, but I think I will start adding insurance when shipping. Recently sold a pair of DS South Beaches and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried during the sale. It went well tho. Buyer was probably just was worried as I was.

Sent as a service or good, yeah they can still file a claim for some reason or another. I think in situations like these, you'd be the one more inclined to scam people (not saying you would). Someone pays you $20 bucks for a cleaning and sends you their shoes--you never send the shoe back--they file a claim with Paypal and probably only get their money back. Unless you add some type of insurance.

So I sound like I have the upper hand against any type of scamming.

I was just thinking is there a possibility they could send money, but take it back or cancel it?

Take this advice.

Do not use paypal.

I repeat stop using paypal.

Deal with cash, usps money order, wester union/money gram

Mostly Cash or Money order.

Paypal is scammer haven/heaven.

Ebay protects you. Paypal could careless.

But with paypal its easy to get scammed/screwed over.

Stop using paypal because they dont care nor protect you.

They never stop or track the scammers.

People open accounts on paypal, with bogus names and bogus address, link it to their accounts. Take the money, close the account. Rinse, Repeat, Recycle. Dudes on their scam hustles. smh

I swear paypal doesnt care.

when you use Paypal, us your credit card as a back up....do charge back and let your cc company fight it out with paypal.

Last edited:
Thing is, all the other options you mentioned will give upper hand to seller. But PayPal gives buyer the protection. So as a buyer, you will be weary of seller not accepting PayPal. There's no method that offer same protection for both, outside of meetup. But then you could get robbed.

I was just thinking is there a possibility they could send money, but take it back or cancel it?
they still can get their money back unless payment is sent as a gift or something

they still can get their money back unless payment is sent as a gift or something

So if they take their money back, I'll still come out ahead because I have their shoes to sell if they try to scam me.

I guess I'll stress that money is sent as a gift.

OP just curious, but was the scammer's shipping address the same as the address on the PayPal confirmed address? Same name, same address?

^for the most part. That's why I said you'd be more inclined to scam people since you'd get the shoe. Customers would want to have the insurance

Back
Top Bottom