Does water cause yellowing on icy bottoms?

I was at ATC in Miami and was talking to one of the dudes there about cleaning shoes. I mentioned to him that I clean the bottom of my sneakers that I want to keep fresh. I do this to keep them from being amongst dust/dirt while sitting in the box. Well to get to the point he told me not to use water to clean sneakers with icy bottoms because it causes them to yellow. 
So what's the truth on this NT? 
nerd.gif

I was at ATC in Miami and was talking to one of the dudes there about cleaning shoes. I mentioned to him that I clean the bottom of my sneakers that I want to keep fresh. I do this to keep them from being amongst dust/dirt while sitting in the box. Well to get to the point he told me not to use water to clean sneakers with icy bottoms because it causes them to yellow. 
So what's the truth on this NT? 
nerd.gif

I use wet wipes on most of my shoes and just scrub, never did anything noticeable.

I use wet wipes on most of my shoes and just scrub, never did anything noticeable.

^

Hell yeh! I always clean my Jordans before I put them back in the box. That's just nasty if you don't.

And I never had any yellowing problems using regular tap water to clean my icy sole Jordans. Just make sure to dry the soles off with a towel afterward.

^

Hell yeh! I always clean my Jordans before I put them back in the box. That's just nasty if you don't.

And I never had any yellowing problems using regular tap water to clean my icy sole Jordans. Just make sure to dry the soles off with a towel afterward.

The only concern would be tiny droplets of water that get absorbed into the sole (or find small cracks/crevices to get into); there's really nothing you can do about that, though. If you're in a humid place, chances are that it's going to happen to you no matter what you do.

I think cleaning the soles can help slow down yellowing, though... avoiding all the dirt/grime/etc. definitely keeps them looking better. Plus, there are times that the some of the dirt that stays on the sole in one of the cracks/treads/etc. actually seems to yellow that particular part of the shoe (I guess it's just exposure to that piece of dirt for an extended period of time... the dirt could also have had some moisture which caused an oxidation spot to occur).

Anyway, as long as you dry the shoes off as best as you can afterward, you should be alright... but if you live in a humid place, it really won't make that much difference in the long run IMO.

The only concern would be tiny droplets of water that get absorbed into the sole (or find small cracks/crevices to get into); there's really nothing you can do about that, though. If you're in a humid place, chances are that it's going to happen to you no matter what you do.

I think cleaning the soles can help slow down yellowing, though... avoiding all the dirt/grime/etc. definitely keeps them looking better. Plus, there are times that the some of the dirt that stays on the sole in one of the cracks/treads/etc. actually seems to yellow that particular part of the shoe (I guess it's just exposure to that piece of dirt for an extended period of time... the dirt could also have had some moisture which caused an oxidation spot to occur).

Anyway, as long as you dry the shoes off as best as you can afterward, you should be alright... but if you live in a humid place, it really won't make that much difference in the long run IMO.

Originally Posted by WhatisLove

when you dry the sole with a towel, you mean like a hand/ dish towel? do you dab at the water or scrub with the towel, when drying?

when you dry the sole with a towel, you mean like a hand/ dish towel? do you dab at the water or scrub with the towel, when drying?

water is the universal solvent
but it is better to clean with water than to not clean them with water, the positives outweigh the drawbacks
i use steaming hot water, bar soap and a suede type brush.

I've worn my 2000 5's a ton (over 10+ years) and the 06 grapes less but a lot (roughly 50 times) and the fr 5s about a dozen times

You can not tell me they would look even close to as clean if i hadn't scrubbed them after each wear.

Cleaning after each wear to keep shoes icy works much better than sea glow years later

water is the universal solvent
but it is better to clean with water than to not clean them with water, the positives outweigh the drawbacks
i use steaming hot water, bar soap and a suede type brush.

I've worn my 2000 5's a ton (over 10+ years) and the 06 grapes less but a lot (roughly 50 times) and the fr 5s about a dozen times

You can not tell me they would look even close to as clean if i hadn't scrubbed them after each wear.

Cleaning after each wear to keep shoes icy works much better than sea glow years later

I agree with you on dirt or water getting into the cracks of the sole. As soon as I'm done rinsing them off I dry them with a clean towel. Damn! So you think humidity even at night outside with a breeze will yellow them? I stay in Miami and humid as f¥€€ right now! Ima have to get two pairs I guess... Im getting DS 2000 VI's White/Midnight Navy

I agree with you on dirt or water getting into the cracks of the sole. As soon as I'm done rinsing them off I dry them with a clean towel. Damn! So you think humidity even at night outside with a breeze will yellow them? I stay in Miami and humid as f¥€€ right now! Ima have to get two pairs I guess... Im getting DS 2000 VI's White/Midnight Navy

^^ I use Dawn Advanced dish washing soap, good old oral b toothbrush, and hot water. I also use a suede type brush (small one from a Chanel Suede/Nubucc cleaner) and a softer bigger brush for leather shoes. I'm glad to see icy bottoms from 2000 worn that many times... I salute you for that.

Back
Top Bottom