Downtown Philadelphia Food!!!

Alright, everyone. Please put me on the food game in DOWNTOWN PHILLY. I'm heading out there in a couple weeks for the holiday.

Del Frisco's Steakhouse on 14th and Chestnut right in the heart of Center City.

I'm not that well versed in good eats downtown (I say uptown but whatever), but I'm sure someone else will have some more choices. These aren't downtown but if you want great Italian food, hit up any of these 3 spots: Dante & Luigi's on 10th and Catherine, Ralph's on 9th Street between South and Christian, and Villa Di Roma on 9th Street between Washington and Christian. You won't be disappointed :pimp:.

EDIT: Oh yeah, if you want the best cheesesteak, hit up Jim's on 4th and South or John's Roast Pork on Snyder between Front and Colombus. They aren't downtown either but they're both amazing. Get whiz from Jim's and provolone from John's.

Last edited:
Hit up Lorenzo's for a slice of pizza on south street. I'm from NY, and I'm very partial to NYC pizza, but Lorenzo's is something else. I'm not saying it's the best, it's just different, and an experience, that's all. Slices are so big they have to fold up the front tip of the slice so it doesn't hang way off the plate. I'll also vouch for Jim's steaks on 4th and South. Geno's is a little overrated IMO.

Miss Philly though. The routine on the old philly trips (only made a couple but if any of my OGs are lurking around, they know what I'm talking bout) was to grab a cheesesteak once we made our first rounds near the Mitchell and Ness Store and the fitted spots in the mall, and then after we went through South Street, we'd grab a slice at Lorenzo's before heading back to NY. :smokin

what's that pork loin sandwich in that indoor market place? looks amazing

Hit up Lorenzo's for a slice of pizza on south street. I'm from NY, and I'm very partial to NYC pizza, but Lorenzo's is something else. I'm not saying it's the best, it's just different, and an experience, that's all. Slices are so big they have to fold up the front tip of the slice so it doesn't hang way off the plate. I'll also vouch for Jim's steaks on 4th and South. Geno's is a little overrated IMO.
Miss Philly though. The routine on the old philly trips (only made a couple but if any of my OGs are lurking around, they know what I'm talking bout) was to grab a cheesesteak once we made our first rounds near the Mitchell and Ness Store and the fitted spots in the mall, and then after we went through South Street, we'd grab a slice at Lorenzo's before heading back to NY. :smokin
Lorenzo's had a fire a few months back. Still haven't reopened and I haven't heard any news on when/if they will.

what's that pork loin sandwich in that indoor market place? looks amazing
That's DiNic's in the Reading Terminal Market on 11th and Filbert. Don't know how I forgot about that. You definitely gotta go to DiNic's for a roast pork sandwich with broccoli rabe, nothing can really compare to it it's delicious. There's a ton of other spots in RTM that are worth checking out too though. This one lady makes homemade mac and cheese with like 7 different cheeses. That and a roast pork from DiNic's is an amazing meal. Philly is great I suggest everyone move here :lol:. I love my city :pimp: :pimp:.

Last edited:
Definitely hit up Reading Terminal. There are so many places to eat inside there it's ridiculous

you got reading terminal of course

-4th Street Deli on south street Where you can get huge big sandwiches stacked with meat. Theyre awesome, but wayy too big) http://www.famous4thstreetdelicatessen.com/

- another place on South street called Percy street barbeque. Pretty good barbeque

- if you like Soul Food, Id suggest Ms Tootsies

You can also go to 1 of the brazlilian steakhouses ( Chima or Fogo de Chao) but they are expensive. And theyre are a bunch of other restaurants around town

Last edited:
Also, idk if you've ever had Dim Sum but on Saturday and Sunday Mornings there is this place called Ocean City Harbor that excellent. It's right in China Town

for some of the best handmade burgers and smoothies check out PYT and right next store is SOLECONTROL sneaker consignment shop aka FlightClub Philly
they have everything

Go to IshKaBibbles on South Street for the best Chicken Cheesesteak ever!!! get some cheese fries and order a gremlin to drink... I used to fiend for that ****... Man I miss philly if u really need tips on philly hit me up used tolive there and work for miskeen during their glory days.

Federal Donuts (Gourmet donuts/chicken-- do not miss this... get there at 10:30 AM and stay till noon for chicken)

Sabrina's (Stuffed french toast)

Green Eggs Cafe (just had the waffles and chicken benedict-- no joke)

Max's Steaks (North Philly-- but worth a visit)

DiNics/Johns/Jims-- all worth the trip.

Cosmi's Deli

Alla Spina-- great new gastropub

Village Whiskey (get the Village Whiskey King burger)

I could go on... just a few of my favorites-- Philly is a great spot for food-- enjoy it.

Gotta go to reading terminal at least once. Also if you like middle eastern check out Saads on Walnut St. and try the chicken maroush.

Federal Donuts (Gourmet donuts/chicken-- do not miss this... get there at 10:30 AM and stay till noon for chicken)
Sabrina's (Stuffed french toast)
Green Eggs Cafe (just had the waffles and chicken benedict-- no joke)
Max's Steaks (North Philly-- but worth a visit)
DiNics/Johns/Jims-- all worth the trip.
Cosmi's Deli
Alla Spina-- great new gastropub
Village Whiskey (get the Village Whiskey King burger)

I could go on... just a few of my favorites-- Philly is a great spot for food-- enjoy it.

this man knows. philly is a trash city, but if you wanna eat, you can't lose there. the food is one of the main reasons why its such an easy city to live in.

3237131115_69dbf89e1e.jpg

DSC_1999-mixto.jpg

and genarro's pizza on bainbridge st

and lorenzo's on south st

like dude said, i could go on...

EDIT:

this needs a mention
percy st bbq is :pimp: :pimp: :pimp:
02.jpg

with runner up Smokin betty's
Smokin%20Betty's.jpg

i lowkey miss philly for the food alone..

Last edited:
Co-sign to everyone who suggested Reading Terminal. You can easily spend hours in there. Loved that place and can't wait to go back.

Thanks for the suggestions you guys posted. I live in NE Maryland and head up to Philly several times a year, but I usually just stay at Ginos or Pats for food.

I went to the Memphis Taproom to get that smoked coconut tofu club I saw on the Food Network and it was good. Got the tempura pickles there too and they were good - especially the sauce they come with. Service kind of sucked bc they took their nice little time.

Also, check out Creperie Beau Monde. It's a little pricey for what it is, but they have some of the best crepes I've ever had. I got the beef bourguignon crepe and it was to die for. My girlfriend got one of the sweet crepes and it was worth it as well.

There is this Deli on Passyunk that has incredible sandwiches, but I forget the name of it.

If you need any help/suggestions/advice when you're here, let me know.

My quick advice: don't go to Pats or Genos.  And wherever you do order a cheesesteak from (I can point you in the right direction depending on where you are in the city)... don't say you want a "Philly Cheesesteak" unless you want to sound like a dumb tourist.

For roast pork, DiNic's is very, very good, but I don't think anywhere tops John's Roast Pork.  The only problem is they are only open M-F till 3pm, closed on weekends.

And as for Honey's Sit and Eat, I live next to it and never go there.  North Third a block away is 100x better imo.

Paesanos has two sandwich shops, one north, one south, and they make some of the best sandwiches you'll ever eat.

Back
Top Bottom