Dressing Better Vol 2.0

for those starting to transition their wardrobe to something more menswear or just want to learn the basics, I would suggest reading some literature such as Glenn O'Brien's book or articles on fashionbeans. It's easy to get drawn into the trends or more bold styles promoted by gq and other fashion blogs, but knowing the basics and building up will help prevent senseless spending and embarrassment.

I got this for wedding in December- do I have to wear black shoes? 

Going with a similar look for my nuptials in July, finally setting up my MTM meetings this winter. Black Velvet Slippers are the way to go just can't decide on if I'm going with Gold Monogram on the slipper or not

Last edited:
velvet would be a nice touch to compliment the velvet slippers even more so

just make sure the stripe on the trousers match the fabric you go with for the jacket lapel

for those starting to transition their wardrobe to something more menswear or just want to learn the basics, I would suggest reading some literature such as Glenn O'Brien's book or articles on fashionbeans. It's easy to get drawn into the trends or more bold styles promoted by gq and other fashion blogs, but knowing the basics and building up will help prevent senseless spending and embarrassment.
Alan Flusser's books and StyleForum >>>>>

Been looking into getting a leather jacket and I know some of you have a TOJ/Falcon peice. I'm between either the MA-2 and the 2/4 Zip Moto. I don't think a DR would looks that great on me and I'd rather get a simpler jacket I can wear daily. Any opinions on which kind of leather is best and whether I should go black or brown? (Personally leaning towards black but every time I see a brown I do a double take) Any advice is appreciated. Also if you recommend a different brand/style I'm open to options.

Been looking into getting a leather jacket and I know some of you have a TOJ/Falcon peice. I'm between either the MA-2 and the 2/4 Zip Moto. I don't think a DR would looks that great on me and I'd rather get a simpler jacket I can wear daily. Any opinions on which kind of leather is best and whether I should go black or brown? (Personally leaning towards black but every time I see a brown I do a double take) Any advice is appreciated. Also if you recommend a different brand/style I'm open to options.

It's difficult to give you an answer not knowing what the rest of your wardrobe looks like. As for black vs brown, that will depend on what will work better with what you already have.

What kind of leather you want is tricky. I have both a calf DR and a lamb CWU, and can't really say I prefer one over the other.

Calf is heavier, will generally last longer(it's basically armor), but lamb is a bit easier to wear. Calf leather can take a beating, with lamb leather you have to be a little more careful. My own preference would be lamb for bomber styles(MA-1) and calf for a moto(2/4zip) Obviously there are other options, being goat and horsehide, but I'm not a big fan of the grain of goat leather, and horse hide is generally not ideal for everyday wear. It's insanely heavy/tough to break in compared to other options.

With all of that said, you can't really go wrong with any combination

Last edited:
are you saying MA-1 or A-2?
I'm talking about the bomber style one with the fur collar. Not sure which one that is hahaha.

It's difficult to give you an answer not knowing what the rest of your wardrobe looks like. As for black vs brown, that will depend on what will work better with what you already have.

What kind of leather you want is tricky. I have both a calf DR and a lamb CWU, and can't really say I prefer one over the other.

Calf is heavier, will generally last longer(it's basically armor), but lamb is a bit easier to wear. Calf leather can take a beating, with lamb leather you have to be a little more careful. My own preference would be lamb for bomber styles(MA-1) and calf for a moto(2/4zip) Obviously there are other options, being goat and horsehide, but I'm not a big fan of the grain of goat leather, and horse hide is generally not ideal for everyday wear. It's insanely heavy/tough to break in compared to other options.

Thanks! Is one of the two (calf or lamb) heavier? I'd rather get the lighter of the two but wouldn't want to sacrifice longevity if lamb is that much more sensitive. I'm kinda liking the non belted DR, seems pretty clean and not too busy like the one with belts/straps on the bottom. It looks a lot better than the other models when paired with just a tee and denim.

Wardrobe wise, it's pretty simple. In the winter it's usually denim or chinos with a button down/flannel or sweater and a different jacket depending on the weather.

are you saying MA-1 or A-2?
I'm talking about the bomber style one with the fur collar. Not sure which one that is hahaha.

Thanks! Is one of the two (calf or lamb) heavier? I'd rather get the lighter of the two but wouldn't want to sacrifice longevity if lamb is that much more sensitive. I'm kinda liking the non belted DR, seems pretty clean and not too busy like the one with belts/straps on the bottom. It looks a lot better than the other models when paired with just a tee and denim.

Wardrobe wise, it's pretty simple. In the winter it's usually denim or chinos with a button down/flannel or sweater and a different jacket depending on the weather.

As stated in the first post, calf is heavier. Both lamb and calf will last forever if you take care of them, really

The jacket you're talking about is the MDR, which I have in calf

Last edited:
wait didn't you say you think a DR would look good?

I personally think any one can pull of a leather ma-1 or plain moto. A-2 and DR not so much.

wait didn't you say you think a DR would look good?

I personally think any one can pull of a leather ma-1 or plain moto. A-2 and DR not so much.

I was saying I don't think I can pull of the DR with the belt/straps whatever they are. I do like the one without it (MDR).
These are the three I'm thinking about and I'm most interested in the first, which is an A-2, correct?

Sorry for the confusion, I'm reading the SF threads for TOJ and Falcon, but I'm confusing myself in the process hahaha.

^ In order, that's the A-2, 4-zip collarless moto, and DR.

Collared moto would be my personal go-to leather jacket.

oh i forgot

SMH U GAIS JUST LIKE LEATHER JACKETS CUZ ITS A TREND. 

Anyone familiar with Todd Snyder outerwear? Im interested in picking up this leather bomber on sale but it is listed as final sale so I'm a bit hesitant. Any info regarding the quality and overall fit would be appreciated.

Gentlemen, 

Figured I would make a come back & contribute to this thread. 
Going with a similar look for my nuptials in July, finally setting up my MTM meetings this winter. Black Velvet Slippers are the way to go just can't decide on if I'm going with Gold Monogram on the slipper or not

Go custom, not MTM if you are discussing the jacket. 

Back
Top Bottom