Dressing Better Vol 2.0

No offence to you man but I generally avoid buying anything faux leather. If it’s for your beliefs and anti animal cruelty then that’s definitely your choice and leather can be expensive. In the past week though, I was able to score two leather jackets that are genuine sheepskin for $29.99 a piece. I was shocked myself at the price because the retail was $375 regular and it’s pretty butter soft leather. Obviously for $29.99, I bought one and a back up once one gets worn out. It wasn’t even like they were dead ugly or an outlandish color. Pretty classic looking biker leather jackets by Massimo Dutti.

03382039-7C15-4B6C-A287-E0D83E08BD0C.jpeg EB7906A3-EF5B-4CDD-A450-FB19CD0394A4.jpeg 548BBDFB-A831-4548-8256-7F4C4C38DDEA.jpeg 1F0D9484-BDEE-4396-A368-268885A8BFFA.jpeg

That’s a come up! I wouldn’t buy faux leather either but it was just an impulse buy. For a good leather I would spend anything. It’s like a lifelong investment.

Does anyone have opinions on Thursday Boot Company? I see they generally get good reviews around the internet, but I trust some of ya'll more.

Tried on Meermin joints at the NYC store

Leather is super stiff -- break in period is probably long af

And painful too. Took me a long time to be able to wear them comfortably; never buying another pair . I mean, my pair is fine now, but I don't want to go through that break in process again :lol: Most of my boots/shoes break in within a week of wearing them. I think it took me damn near a month for the Meermins, and even now they're still very stiff (but wearable).

Last edited:
And painful too. Took me a long time to be able to wear them comfortably; never buying another pair . I mean, my pair is fine now, but I don't want to go through that break in process again :lol: Most of my boots/shoes break in within a week of wearing them. I think it took me damn near a month for the Meermins, and even now they're still very stiff (but wearable).
SFC415 making the break in process sound like a root canal :rofl:

SFC415 making the break in process sound like a root canal :rofl:

he's not lying. i've had my pair for a little over a year now and wore them only around 10x. The break in period is ridiculous and I sorta gave up on them as it feels like im wearing cement blocks.

I've got some To Boot boots, and the break in period seems never ending. Had them for a year now, have worn a couple dozen times. My feet kill me after a day at work, which generally includes a 1.5 mile round trip walk to the train. Not trying to get another pair like that :lol:

lol ferragamo and most "high end" brands make sh** quality dress shoes

Disagree with this. I've never owned Ferragamo dress shoes but my D&G, Burberry & Thom Browne dress shoes are A1 in the quality department esp. the TB's

Correct. Reason why I sold my whole cut oxfords. Gorgeous shoe but incredibly uncomfortable.

It sounds like a lot of us fell into the trap of "It has to be Goodyear Welted or it's trash!!!!" That's what this thread and other elitist forums used to preach, basically saying if you wanted good quality shoes, you'd have to stick with bulky/ugly/uncomfortable shoes (not saying all GY shoes are like that, but the vast majority are). Meanwhile I've recently resoled Blake stitched and cemented shoes that I've had since 2010. If you live in a big metro area, there will always be cobblers who can resole anything. From reading different posts on other forums, it sounds like the problem is that a lot of cobblers just don't know how to or are too lazy to resole non Goodyear boots.

I mean even if you exclude comfort, put a pair of Meermins next to the usual Blake stitched Italian shoe, and you'll see how huge they are in comparison. Not sleek at all, which is why I rarely wear them these days.

Last edited:
Bought two pairs of Meermins 2 years ago. One pair is still DS while other has been worn like 15 times but like others said, still not broken in and tbh I'm not sure i'll ever break them in fully at this point. Should've just spent the cash for the two on a pair of Carminas. All i wear nowadays for work are Baudoin & Lange (no break in period :smokin)

sfc415 sfc415 That’s really true about the pretentiousness with a lot of menswear and menswear forum. I try to balance the two by taking advice and knowledge but also realizing that fashion and clothing should also be fun and not THAT serious. It’s like a common styleforum joke that they’ll flame you and savage you if your suit is tailored a mm off. I own Blake stitched shoes and Goodyear welted shoes too. I own fashion brands like D&G that are not anywhere close to John Lobb or even Carmina but I’m fine with them and like them. I’ve also realized that things should be purchased in hope of longevity and usage but things aren’t meant to last forever anyway. Even “classic” pieces can be dated and not appropriate for looking as sharp as you can after time so everything can be taken with a grain of salt. I just like to inject my wardrobe and shoe collection with been pieces periodically and will either sell or donate pieces that may no longer suit my style anymore or I just don’t need.

sfc415 sfc415 That’s really true about the pretentiousness with a lot of menswear and menswear forum. I try to balance the two by taking advice and knowledge but also realizing that fashion and clothing should also be fun and not THAT serious. It’s like a common styleforum joke that they’ll flame you and savage you if your suit is tailored a mm off. I own Blake stitched shoes and Goodyear welted shoes too. I own fashion brands like D&G that are not anywhere close to John Lobb or even Carmina but I’m fine with them and like them. I’ve also realized that things should be purchased in hope of longevity and usage but things aren’t meant to last forever anyway. Even “classic” pieces can be dated and not appropriate for looking as sharp as you can after time so everything can be taken with a grain of salt. I just like to inject my wardrobe and shoe collection with been pieces periodically and will either sell or donate pieces that may no longer suit my style anymore or I just don’t need.

I agree. I usually buy whatever looks good to me, and within that, there's some brands that people on here/other "menswear" forums call "TRASH! GARBAGE QUALITY!" I'm always wondering what the hell they're doing in their clothes that's causing these things to disintegrate on them (I know they're exaggerating and being condescending). For example, I have high count Egyptian cotton shirts that I wear with suits, but I also have "GARBAGE" Uniqlo shirts from 2012-2016 that I've washed countless times without any damage.

I have high quality GY welt shoes from Carmina, Loake, Meermin, etc., but I also have cemented/Blake stitched designer shoes from 2010 that I still wear more due to the better look and comfort. Somehow shoes that have lasted me 8 years, maintained their shape perfectly, and have been resoled are "PURE @#$@" :lol:

Last edited:
What’s the consensus on cole haan dress shoes?

Wait for them to go on sale. Also, some of their models have a fake built in shine to them that gives them a plasticky look, so watch out for that. However, I have heard that comfort wise, they're very good, which is why a lot of people that are on their feet all day like them.

Ran across a cat that has a SuSu hookup and has great prices on the reg... Starting to stock up on pieces for a fraction of the price... Need some thoughts on tassle loafers for the warm weather.

What’s the consensus on cole haan dress shoes?

i have a pair of the lunargrand wingtips.

obviously, more casual than dressy. SUPER comfortable though.

but get them on sale, i got mine for ~$125 a couple years ago

Does anyone have opinions on Thursday Boot Company? I see they generally get good reviews around the internet, but I trust some of ya'll more.

i think the consensus on thursday is

"they're good for the price, but for a little more you can get _____"

but i feel like at that price point there's only things like red wings that are more "bulky/work boot" looking.

i dont know a lot of brands at that price point that make a slimmer silhouette (viberg/truman esque), except maybe taft.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom