Dressing Better Vol 2.0

I've got a pair of chucka boots I wear multiple times weekly, and a pair of double monks I'd wear regularly at my last job. Both are great, very comfortable. And not expensive.

CH double monks have been holding me down for about a year now. Personally I’m a big fan of CH (on sale), I’ve got 4-5 pairs of which 2-3 are still going strong even after being worn twice a week for the past 3+ years.

lol high end will never give you true value for the quality of the shoes.

idk how much thom browne runs but say its 1k, very likely not going to be on par with similarly priced John Lobbs or Gaziano & Girling. 2 cents

lol high end will never give you true value for the quality of the shoes.

idk how much thom browne runs but say its 1k, very likely not going to be on par with similarly priced John Lobbs or Gaziano & Girling. 2 cents

Obviously, but "Lol" you've posted $600-1K Saint Laurent shoes/boots here and in the high end thread hundreds of times though...

Last edited:
You're reaching. I was referring to dress shoes being of poor or lacking quality in comparison to true menswear shoe companies.

Because you are trying to compare me owning high end and then talking poorly of them, while overlooking that I specifically highlighted their dress shoes. Love my SL boots but would not bother with some oxfords of dub monks bud.

Because you are trying to compare me owning high end and then talking poorly of them, while overlooking that I specifically highlighted their dress shoes. Love my SL boots but would not bother with some oxfords of dub monks bud.

Your reasoning should be the same though. You're boasting about your Saint Laurent boots, denim, jackets, etc., but are you telling me you can't find better quality shoes and clothes for that price, bud? Or do you just make exceptions for yourself as usual?

i have a pair of the lunargrand wingtips.

obviously, more casual than dressy. SUPER comfortable though.

but get them on sale, i got mine for ~$125 a couple years ago

i think the consensus on thursday is

"they're good for the price, but for a little more you can get _____"

but i feel like at that price point there's only things like red wings that are more "bulky/work boot" looking.

i dont know a lot of brands at that price point that make a slimmer silhouette (viberg/truman esque), except maybe taft.
I want longevity and comfort. Does Thursday have that? I see plenty of Amazon reviews claiming they're comfortable, and for $200 I expect them to last longer than some Aldo's or Nordstrom brand shoes. Or is it legit worth it to jump up to $300 range and get something more "reputable"?

Your reasoning should be the same though. You're boasting about your Saint Laurent boots, denim, jackets, etc., but are you telling me you can't find better quality shoes and clothes for that price, bud?
When john lobb drops some harness boots, holla at me

So you're admitting you bought $1K "@#$@ quality" boots for the look, not the quality. Yet you're in here looking down on others who do the same :lol: Hypocritical as usual
When did I hurt you?

The one guy was surprised that his meermins were better than $500 "gamos". If you want some dress shoes, I would advise to stay clear of high end. That's about the size of it.

meermins’ comfort are just fine to me. Maybe because I wear Red Wings a lot and those tend to kill your feet more than other brands. I’ll keep buying meermin because I don’t see many dress shoes that already have rubber soles that can be re-soleable.

I want longevity and comfort. Does Thursday have that? I see plenty of Amazon reviews claiming they're comfortable, and for $200 I expect them to last longer than some Aldo's or Nordstrom brand shoes. Or is it legit worth it to jump up to $300 range and get something more "reputable"?

sfc415 sfc415 has a pair I believe.

I think it'll for sure last longer than those brands.

You could also consider getting a pair of factory seconds.

Not sure if you'd be interested, but I was also looking at these boots when I was shopping around a couple months ago.

https://www.jcrew.com/p/mens_category/shoes/boots/kenton-leather-captoe-boots/F4446

Use this coupon for 30% off: WVQR237

Comes out to $173.60.

Ends tomorrow I believe.

I use a pair as beaters. Definitely not as comfortable as your Cole Haans, but comfortable by most dress shoe/boot standards because of the rubber sole (which is useful for rainy days) and wider width/shape of the boot. I have wide feet, so wearing Saint Laurent / "@#$@ quality" designer boots gets tiring for my feet if I wear them for 8-12 hours a day at work.

Quality is good for the price; one drawback is that the type of leather these boots have scuffs easily, and it has nothing to do with the price range of the boot. I've had $300-400 Wolverine boots that scuffed the exact same way before, and those are considered high quality. Not a leather expert, but I believe it's called "pull up leather".

Another possible drawback is that the boots are really casual. There's no way you can get away with wearing these with a suit or dress pants, despite people saying so in the reviews (maybe on a rainy/snowy day when looks aren't the priority) They look a lot sleeker in pictures than they do in real life. Not that they're chunky or weird looking like most work boots, but they just look like any other casual military boots. I like wearing them with leather jackets, bombers, and t shirts.

Overall, I think you'll be fine with the $200 purchase. I have boots of all price ranges and quality, but I wear these boots the most because of the decent price to quality ratio and comfort.

As for Aldo...man I hate sounding like one of those quality snobs, but I remember how awful those shoes looked after just one-two nights out back in college. Ripped and creased leather everywhere :lol: I should've just bought some Payless instead, but I thought Aldo was high end back then.

Last edited:

I have the Allen Edmonds Higgins Mill boot in natural cxl

I like them. Slimmer toe box compared to those JCrew or like Red Wings. Cxl leather is nice. Fairly comfortable.

Aldo is just plain awful and it has nothing to do with being a "quality snob" :lol:. If you haven't had one of those, "wore a handful of times and the leather and shape is completely destroyed" then you should consider yourself very lucky. I was in the exact same boat and when I was around 17-20, bought about 3 pairs of Aldo boots and dress shoes. They quickly became my going out to the club or bar or place where I didn't care if they got destroyed at. Legit within 2-3 months, the shoes had the same wear and tear that you'd expect on a good quality shoe that was 5-6 years old. You get what you pay for.

It's just funny that Aldo is essentially like Zara where it has an outrageous price point versus what the actual quality of the shoes are, then they have great marketing to slash their prices and people buy them thinking it's a good quality pair of shoes for $100 and under but in my opinion, they aren't even worth that $100 which is cheap by shoe standards.

Aldo is just plain awful and it has nothing to do with being a "quality snob" :lol:. If you haven't had one of those, "wore a handful of times and the leather and shape is completely destroyed" then you should consider yourself very lucky. I was in the exact same boat and when I was around 17-20, bought about 3 pairs of Aldo boots and dress shoes. They quickly became my going out to the club or bar or place where I didn't care if they got destroyed at. Legit within 2-3 months, the shoes had the same wear and tear that you'd expect on a good quality shoe that was 5-6 years old. You get what you pay for.

It's just funny that Aldo is essentially like Zara where it has an outrageous price point versus what the actual quality of the shoes are, then they have great marketing to slash their prices and people buy them thinking it's a good quality pair of shoes for $100 and under but in my opinion, they aren't even worth that $100 which is cheap by shoe standards.
Where would you rank them in comparison to CK, Cole Haan, and Kenneth Cole? Serious question.

Yup, that's why I said I was better off going with some beaters from Payless :lol:

Anyone with Wolverine 1000 Mile boots could speak to the sizing for me?? I’m a true sz 11 in most sneakers and size down or up accordingly. 10.5 in some nmd ‘s, etc..

Anyone with Wolverine 1000 Mile boots could speak to the sizing for me?? I’m a true sz 11 in most sneakers and size down or up accordingly. 10.5 in some nmd ‘s, etc..

Do you have regular or wide feet?

In most sneakers, I'm a 10, but 10.5 for running or other narrow shoes. For my 1000 Miles that I used to own, I got a size 9. I just went through some other forums, and most people are saying that they size down half a size from their usual dress shoes, which seems accurate to me (I wear a 9.5 in dress shoes)

Back
Top Bottom