Dressing better

Need advice.
I'm going to the Manhattan Cocktail Classic Gala at NY Public Library (highly recommended for NYC NTers, expensive at 150 a ticket but a great night with great food and booze, the bring in a bunch of mixologists). Anyway, my problem is I don't have much to wear. The event is black tie optional.

My biggest problem is that I've been injured for almost a year (torn achilles tendon) and have put on considerable weight and lost a lot of muscle. I don't want to buy a suit because i doubt it will fit soon now that I'm starting to exercise again. Even buying something for a couple hundred (even Zara, H&M seems like a waist for something I would only wear once). I don't wear suits to work but when my body is right would happily invest in a nice black evening suit. All i have now is a light grey striped suit and a blue striped suit. 

Any ways to creatively take this on ? I think I have 2 black sport coats (1 cashmere 1 wool) that could go with grey slacks. I thought about trying to dress up a vest with no coat ( I think this can work in if done right but think it would look to much like a waiter at this thing) or was thinking just black slacks and a nice dress shirt and tie.

Any other looks that could work? willing to spend money on something that I could wear in the future despite the situation .

Been gone for a few ... missing Ghana already ... few shots to share ... sorry for the OD

Heading out ... 

Home sweet home ... 

Sourcing artwork at the neighborhood art joint ... 

One of many random days at the beach ... 

Final rounds b4 heading back ... 
mad.gif
mad.gif

more on the blog including a little write up on how to dress in warm weather

Off saks has BOGO on suits through tomorrow...to the guy who said he needs two, this is a great time to buy. Should be able to pick up two nice suits for 700 or so.

Also, shoes are an additional 25% off as well through tomorrow.

Second opinions needed:
I have an interview with an "Urban Clothing" line on Thursday for an internship. I have a decent idea of what I want to wear but I don't want to wear something TOO formal or bland.

Don't want to wear a tie. 
Thinking of getting a light blazer or light cardigan.

Any suggestions? Go formal or go somewhat more casual?

Yea, I think having a cardi and some desert boots would be perfect here. Otherwise maybe a nicer flannel. What company?

Sry, I don't wanna say unless I get the position 
laugh.gif

But that's a great suggestion. I think I'll try to work with that. It's a little trip from where I am now so that sounds really comfortable/manageable. 

laugh.gif
I was just wondering how urban we were talking...like FUBU status or what...but its cool, I understand. Just remember ur better off going over dressed...u may feel it but its better than coming under dressed and the hiring manager getting the impression u are unprepared.

And if u are looking for Clarks, they have the bushacres, which are the same as desert boots but with a different sole (look the same tho), u can try nordstrom rack...mine had em for $60. Always hit or miss of course as far as colors and sizing.

Best of luck to you!!!

Originally Posted by rsdplaya

Just remember ur better off going over dressed...u may feel it but its better than coming under dressed and the hiring manager getting the impression u are unprepared.
+100. i'd go in a blazer and chinos with a tie ... at a minimum. 

Originally Posted by Juicy J 32

I'm looking for a good casual shoe to wear out on Friday/Saturday nights that aren't loafers, Sperrys, or Desert Boots. 

What do y'all think about Clae McQueens as a casual shoe to go out in? I'm thinking either those or the Nike Toki's. 
Personally a big fan of Toki's, got the grey pair you posted and a black pair.  Solid casual shoe for the price, since they usually go on sale.

Don't want to wear a tie. Thinking of getting a light blazer or light cardigan.
How about a more casual slim/skinny tie or knit tie with a blazer.

Yo yo yo yo yo, NT, I need your help fast yo.
My friend has to go to prom in 3 weeks and he wants to wear khakis with a white shirt, suspenders, and some white boat shoes for some extremely weird reason. I told him that type of fit would be a casual look not a formal look for a prom. Man, I don't know. I couldn't just shut him down. I need an honest opinion and honest feedback (he finna read this). I honestly tried to picture a blazer and a white shirt, but I can't work right if its just.... white. So simple makes my head hurt
ohwell.gif

Pic for reference. Is there anyway he can come up with something. Oh yea, he bough a blazer at urban outfitters, it navy blue. thanks ya'll.

16baj2a.jpg

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Originally Posted by Juicy J 32

I'm looking for a good casual shoe to wear out on Friday/Saturday nights that aren't loafers, Sperrys, or Desert Boots. 

What do y'all think about Clae McQueens as a casual shoe to go out in? I'm thinking either those or the Nike Toki's. 
Personally a big fan of Toki's, got the grey pair you posted and a black pair.  Solid casual shoe for the price, since they usually go on sale.
Yeah. I'm leaning towards getting them because of the price, although I love the style of the McQueens. 
Gilt Group was valued at $1B.
eek.gif

I haven't ordered anything from them yet.  

Originally Posted by Hendrix Watermelon

My friend has to go to prom in 3 weeks and he wants to wear khakis with a white shirt, suspenders, and some white boat shoes for some extremely weird reason. I told him that type of fit would be a casual look not a formal look for a prom. Man, I don't know. I couldn't just shut him down. I need an honest opinion and honest feedback (he finna read this). I honestly tried to picture a blazer and a white shirt, but I can't work right if its just.... white. So simple makes my head hurt
ohwell.gif

Pic for reference. Is there anyway he can come up with something. Oh yea, he bough a blazer at urban outfitters, it navy blue. thanks ya'll.

16baj2a.jpg
Just let son know he is going to get roasted all night
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
I was just wondering how urban we were talking...like FUBU status or what...but its cool, I understand. Just remember ur better off going over dressed...u may feel it but its better than coming under dressed and the hiring manager getting the impression u are unprepared.

Thanks 
laugh.gif

Nah, it's a rapper's line though. That's what I meant by "Urban".
And yea, I might throw a solid tie in to formal it up a little bit.

Ran to the mall today.

Got this seafoam green/fuchsia stripe RL shirt for $30

Purple Gap V-neck for $30

And some brown suede loafers for $50

Planning on wearing some slim-fit/tapered khakis.

58a154e5cbd3b0fba4ecd79095c52f731cb4814.jpg

I obviously won't be wearing the shades in the interview.

Originally Posted by Hendrix Watermelon

ohwell.gif

16baj2a.jpg

Is he plannning to do some juggling on the corner during prom or something? 

Originally Posted by HypeBeast McStreetwear

laugh.gif

Thanks 
laugh.gif

Nah, it's a rapper's line though. That's what I meant by "Urban".
And yea, I might throw a solid tie in to formal it up a little bit.

Ran to the mall today.

Got this seafoam green/fuchsia stripe RL shirt for $30

Purple Gap V-neck for $30

And some brown suede loafers for $50

Planning on wearing some slim-fit/tapered khakis.

58a154e5cbd3b0fba4ecd79095c52f731cb4814.jpg

I obviously won't be wearing the shades in the interview.
Don't underestimate the importance of a suit at an interview. Suit, tie, dress shoes. Show them you are serious. Just my opinion.
Or steal this look:

00004f.jpg

Originally Posted by INFAMOUS

Originally Posted by illphillip

Originally Posted by Dynamics82

tumblr_lfos4ragwR1qattrno1_500.png

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
 fresh as....
Copped this jacket when it hit the sale items +30% off and free ship.

Rocked it today. Loved it and GOT mad love.
Info on that jacket? It's clean.
J. Crew Brushfield Jacket. I bought that and the Trapper jacket knowing I'd return 1.

Trapper jacket was thicker and I wanted one for Spring.

Plus preferred the color on the Brushfield and the cord collar.

Back
Top Bottom