Dressing better

Originally Posted by RFX45

Yes, the red brick rubber soles are really nice and makes them really stand out.
Even though they are rubber soles, they are goodyear welted so they can be re-soled once they are worn.

Yup - almost all bucks (white/dirty) and most saddles have the brick red soles. And +1 on the re-soleing them. Goodyear welts FTW

Originally Posted by niidawg3

Yes, the red brick rubber soles are really nice and makes them really stand out.
Even though they are rubber soles, they are goodyear welted so they can be re-soled once they are worn.

Yup - almost all bucks (white/dirty) and most saddles have the brick red soles. And +1 on the re-soleing them. Goodyear welts FTW
Good to know. Thanks for the information guys.

Rachel something (forgot the name) boots has a pair of DB type boots with a red sole. Looks really nice, anyone have info on where to cop?

Rachel Comey.
Their infamous for their real think sole but I heard quality isn't the best.
It's one of those shoes that you definitely buy for the look alone, I mean it won't fall apart after one wear but quality isn't on par with theprice.

GQ's "Know Your Shirt"
Can't tell the difference between royal oxford and broadcloth? GQ's ultimate dress-shirt guide, from collar to cuff

00001f.jpg

The fabrics
Cotton is a fiber. How it's woven determines the type of fabric.
From left to right:

Oxford cloth: Named after the university. Hardy, affordable, and will last forever. (Izod, $39)

Royal oxford: Dressier than its namesake and made of a finer weave. Not for schoolboys. (Boss Black, $125)

End-on-end: Woven with a white thread and, in the opposite direction, a colored thread, to produce that pinpoint look. (J.Crew, $60)

Broadcloth: Lightweight and professional. What you wear with your suit and tie when you get a real job. (Dunhill, $130)

Chevron: The herringbone pattern, in any two colors, gives you an elegant look. For the dandy. (Tommy Hilfiger Crest Collection, $70)

00002f.jpg

The patterns
The days of a monochromatic shirt-and-tie combo have passed. Time to add some punch to your look.

00003f.jpg

The collars
Not all ties go with all collars. Know how to pair them.

1. Button-down
Very American. Geared more toward gray flannel or a blue blazer than an elegant European-cut suit. Best with medium-width ties.

Shirt, $36, by Arrow. Tie, $95, by Jack Spade.

00004f.jpg

2. Spread
The most dashing, confident collar out there. Best with a medium-to-wide tie. And go for a traditional four-in-hand knot; it's okay for a bit of the tie toshow around the collar.

Shirt, $145, Polo by Ralph Lauren. Tie, $125, by Dunhill.

00005f.jpg

3. Long point
The collar's narrow stance means it tucks nicely into high-cut three-button suits. Good for narrow-to-skinny ties.

Shirt, $40, by Claiborne. Tie, $40, by Original Penguin.

00006f.jpg

4. Semi-spread
Flattering and forgiving-the Everyman collar. Works great with medium-to-skinny ties.

Shirt, $60, by Nautica. Tie, $85, by Gant.

00007f.jpg

The cuffs
Make sure they fit correctly. And have your suit sleeves tailored so they show a bit of cuff.

Clockwise, from top left:

Convertible: The adjustable buttons allow for narrow or wider cuffs, giving you room for an oversize watch. (Geoffrey Beene, $40)

French: The dressiest of the bunch. But you don't have to wear business cuff links and a power tie with them. Try an open collar and more creative links.(Charles Tyrwhitt, $99)

Two-button barrel: For the guy who wants a shirt with as much flair as his British or Italian-made suit. (Gucci, $295).

Single-button standard: When fitting properly, they should reach the hinge of your wrist. (Ermenegildo Zegna, $295)

I'm hoping I can score a pair of Church's that feature the brick sole from their upcoming Spring line.

I can't believe you're getting clothing advice from a tennis shoe website, but whatever...lol. I am not a fan of rockin what everyone else is wearing.If I happen to like what you like then that's koo, but I sincerely believe that 50% of your style is in your attitude. I don't mean being a jerk orwhatever, but it's how you carry yourself. I don't think you need to spend mad money to look nice either.

First of all, 60 pairs of shoes? Unnecessary. Tell me they all aren't tennis shoes. Sell some of those kicks (like half of them) and use that $$$ to buysome clothes. Keep the shoes that are essential and match with a variety of things. When you get some gear don't get anything that's super unique foryour pants. So rockin jeans with writing, designs, colors, etc. is out of the question. Keep your bottoms basic and you'll get more rotation out of themwithout people noticing. You want to have more shirts to go with things. Keep your shirts nice but stay away from brands that always feel the need to put theirname all over everything (ecco, baby phat, aeropostale, old navy, etc.). Keep it clean. I'm not a brand person-I just like quality that looksnice....sometimes those happen to be brands. If you live near a Ross then go shop there for some things.

Bookmark this website www.slickdeals.net and get stuff on sale. They have them ALL the time. Hoodies and sweats in college will keep you warm and save youmoney. You'll appreciate that after college. You can look nice without dressing up all the time.

Originally Posted by artysm

Originally Posted by King of Chicago

The ones that I bought came with tags that said something like Premium RRL Product in addition to the Rugby tags and they are in the "vintage slim" cut; they are different than the ones that are currently for sale on the website as well (for instance, mine have a 7 inch leg opening vs the bootcut on the website). They are closer to RRL slim than the RL slim and I bought them in my normal size which at first I could wear without a belt but after several weeks they stretched. They feel heavier than the RRL's as well. Never had or seen APC's so I can't comment on that.

I've bought a couple pairs of jeans and pants from the website and the fit is pretty much how it looks on the models.

thanks for the help. this helps a lot in finding an APC alternative for the right price. they don't have my size so i'm leaning on buying another pair of APC's but trying to hold out for something different for a change.

has anyone had any experience with J. Crew's vintage 484 slims or vintage slims they have up on their site?

yea I'm a big fan of the vintage slims. stay away from the 484 slims though, they are too tight.

How often do you guys clean out your closet? I find myself going through my stuff every couple of months to weed out what I don't want.

Bought a pair of Paul Smith Jean chinos today, man they fit great.

A Black blazer is pretty hard to work with. I bought a black sportscoat in early Fall and I've only worn it once.

I clean out my closet every 4-6 months, mostly just to change for the season but I do get rid of some stuff that I won't be wearing much.

Breaking a rule, or two tonight.

IDK why, but that gray jacket makes me cringe for some reason. Other than that, thats a pretty good fit RFX.

Anybody have any suggestion on a navy casual dress shirt? Thanks.

I clean out my closet every 4-6 months, mostly just to change for the season but I do get rid of some stuff that I won't be wearing much.

Breaking a rule, or two tonight.

Where do you put all your unwanted clothes? I'm tryna get rid of some stuff in my closet but I wanna make some money off of it.
laugh.gif

I do not really get rid of my clothes, it's just stored (or piled up/crammed) in the garage.

If you have some good condition clothes, you can try selling them.
If not, your best bet is maybe the salvation army and try to get some tax deductables.

Originally Posted by MikeTysontheKiller

IDK why, but that gray jacket makes me cringe for some reason. Other than that, thats a pretty good fit RFX.

Anybody have any suggestion on a navy casual dress shirt? Thanks.

The hoody is definitely a risk but I like how it turned out. I think the hoody gives it a less serious look.
Maybe it's just me?

Originally Posted by rsdplaya

^^^ what brand is that hoody? i have a very similar one that's Heritage 1981.

Wings & Horn.

i tried these on at DSW (pretty similar to the red wings), but quite a bit less pricey...pretty nice boots, but i'm not sure i'm ready for this styleyet...

very comfortable though.

962883-p-DETAILED.jpg

Damn Yuku, this is like the 3rd time I'm typing this but it keeps messing up. Anyways...

As for casual dress shirts or sport shirts, Rugby is a good starting point since it is slimmer than most off the rack.
They have a few go ons ale for $25-$35 at times, theres actually a couple I like at Rugby.com that I liek right now.

I also like Ben Sherman, fit is great, very slim. They are often on sale at Nordstrom Rack and Macys as well.

Back
Top Bottom