Dressing better

sperry chukkas on gilt complete. wanted the venetian loafers but no luck. still content with the chukkas though.

Originally Posted by RFX45

I agree with Nii and WJ4. Black isn't very versatile and I think designer comes out with black blazers/sport coats because a lot of people think black is versatile but it isn't. Black suits are only worn in weddings, funerals and as a replacement for a tux at an evening event and not much else really. A black blazer is even less versatile because it has to be worn with a matching pants. This is my opinion of course and to each his own but navy and charcoal is the most versatile color for a sportcoat. 
All black everything.

Do you really think that the black blazer is so widely produced because of the misconception of the customers? It doesn't have to be worn with matching pants, it can be worn with anything. My favorite look right now is black blazer with some raw denim, a white shirt and slim black tie. I also plan on wearing the black blazer over a t shirt with some jeans and sneakers.

Fitting to have the man who started the trend himself in first picture, Hedi Slimane from Dior Homme.

hedi-slimane-diesel-red.jpg

Dean and Dan from DSquared2
christina.jpg

dsquared-clothing.jpg

Dior runway show, I need those jeans.
dior2005iv2.jpg

But you see, designers and celebrities get away with it because they are designers and celebrities.
The same way Marc Jacobs gets a pass at wearing skirts.

Plus it is simple business, if people buy them, make a lot of them.
Just think of it this way, how many people in the streets have you seen with ill-fitting suits?
I'd say 9 out of 10 people wear suits that does not fit them well and they wear off the rack.
Heck I've seen people leave the brand label on the sleeves because they think it belongs there.
So you could just imagine how many people would think black goes with everything.

Trust me, I got nothing against black, I wear black shoes/boots all the time.
I have a pair of black pants and black jeans, it has it's place but we are talking about versatility here and navy or charcoal is just more versatile overall.
It matches with more colors and usually compliments and enhances those colors.
Same can be said with black shirt, people go to clubs thinking a black button up is cool and hip but really, it makes them look like theiy mourning someones death.

And yes, I've seen this plenty of times in bars, restaurants, clubs, etc...

My fault, I didn't see your post. Might have passed right by them or might be at the bottom of the page and I just clicked on the next.
Could you post it again? I'll try my best to help.

I don't see the connection comparing people who wear ill fitting suits and tags to people thinking black goes with everything, maybe because I too think black does go with everything. I also don't think it takes a celebrity to wear a black blazer, just someone with style and confidence.
tom_fordF01.jpg

balmain01.jpg

Today... a little nicer in the bay but still cold enough for a jacket. Sorry for the bad pics, too lazy to set up the cam lol.
igcj9w.jpg

3461bn6.jpg

My fault, I didn't see your post. Might have passed right by them or might be at the bottom of the page and I just clicked on the next.

I bought ordered these yesterday http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=34724&vid=1&pid=664251 and I was wondering what kind of shirt and tie would set it off? Colors etc. And I'm planning on wearing it with these boots so keep that in mind. Thanks

Or these I guess

But you see, designers and celebrities get away with it because they are designers and celebrities.

Just think of it this way, how many people in the streets have you seen with ill-fitting suits?
I'd say 9 out of 10 people wear suits that does not fit them well and they wear off the rack.
Heck I've seen people leave the brand label on the sleeves because they think it belongs there.
So you could just imagine how many people would think black goes with everything.

I have a pair of black pants and black jeans, it has it's place but we are talking about versatility here and navy or charcoal is just more versatile overall.
Same can be said with black shirt, people go to clubs thinking a black button up is cool and hip but really, it makes them look like theiy mourning someones death.

Thats a pretty silly statement.

Originally Posted by SkunkInDunks

I don't see the connection comparing people who wear ill fitting suits and tags to people thinking black goes with everything, maybe because I too think black does go with everything. I also don't think it takes a celebrity to wear a black blazer, just someone with style and confidence.

It is just example that most people has the perception that leaving the tags on the sleeves are meant to be done so. 
The same with ill-fitting suits and their perception that it fits them well when in fact it they just get the one they found they like off the rack or listened to sales people who just wanted to sell suits.
Most people also has the perception that black blazers goes with everything. 

The same reason brands keeps making boxy suits, because it is cheaper to make and the general public buys them thinking it fits them fine.

Again, this is my point of view and chances are if you wear the black blazer, no one will care other than you so enjoy your purchase.

I am just giving my side and how I view it. Again, chances are if the blazer fit you well that it will look good.

Plus you keep posting designers and runway pics, I mean come on. I mean people can get away with these in the runway show but you can't walk down the street wearing one of these:

thumb_3164_a9ff460759341a584686594befd7d98c.jpg
thumb_3164_e616b731e619e3e56b411b882125142a.jpg

Originally Posted by oo206oo

Yeah, maybe a bit of an exageration but really wearing a black button will make you look like you are mourning or working as a waiter. 
Also, Tom Ford look horrible in that blazer. I would have expected a better fit on that blazer from him.

Originally Posted by Stay Lurkin

I bought ordered these yesterday http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=34724&vid=1&pid=664251 and I was wondering what kind of shirt and tie would set it off? Colors etc. And I'm planning on wearing it with these boots so keep that in mind. Thanks

That is a tough one but I have feeling someone bought the exact same pants in this thread before. I think it would depend on where you plan to wear it but I would just treat it like any other dark grey pants you have, minus wearing a any checkered/windowpane/gingham shirts. Anything that resembles a square pattern, I would go against with those pants. Go with a light shirt and a dark tie. A white shirt with a navy tie is pretty simple. I'd wear wear a blue (maybe light blue) oxford shirt with a purple tie and then maybe a purple sweater over it, maybe a a lighter purple than the tie or vice versa. A marine blue sweater with a grey tie could work too. I'd wear it with those boots, just because it is a colder weather right now and I prefer boots at this time of the year.

I don't know if anyone else is thinking it, but I'll say it...

How is it that some of you seem to hang on the every word of someone who doesn't really have a great sense of style?

You'd get better advice from magazines if you don't have the ability to put something together on your own.

Yeah, maybe a bit of an exageration but really wearing a black button will make you look like you are mourning or working as a waiter. 
Also, Tom Ford look horrible in that blazer. I would have expected a better fit on that blazer from him.
I think it's the dad jeans that are killing the look for TF.

206 - I'm waiting to hear back from a friend on his opinion of the logo, I will hit you up asap.

Yes it's from a runway show and yes he's a designer but my dude Christophe Decarnin is killing it.

Paris+Fashion+Week+Balmain+Spring+Summer+2009+qBPzWhqNUyLl.jpg

Agree with RFX generally but 206 about the shirt. A black shirt is not a sign of mourning, is very versatile. I think maybe in some uber-high fashion circles a black shirt might be a faux pas, but this is Dressing Better, not Dressing by the Fascist Rules of Fashion. 
But back to the black blazer, I agree with RFX that it's very difficult to pull off. It would almost have to be velvet or some thing like that. Otherwise you're gonna look like you're wearing a suit jacket with jeans (like Tom Ford up there, who looks absolutely horrible). You can dress it up with a pair of dress khakis and black shoes and belt, but then it's not really serving the purpose of a blazer. 

Originally Posted by ddot7

How is it that some of you seem to hang on the every word of someone who doesn't really have a great sense of style?

You'd get better advice from magazines if you don't have the ability to put something together on your own.
Not sure if anyone was thinking that other than you. I don't really like RFX's taste in shoes at all but the rest of his style is pretty impeccable most of the time. Not that his style is needed to justify people asking him questions. If he's earned a reputation as a fashionable guy to the point that people seek his advice, who are you to question that? 

black button up with the sleeves rolled up and top 2 buttons unbuttoned=classic

I would agree with RFX if he was talking about an entire suit or something, or something like a black shirt+black pants combo (which I agree is too waiterish). But saying black shirts are for mourning and for waiters...you can say things like that about any color clothing really.

Originally Posted by ddot7

Sense of style is really subjective and can differ from one person to the other.
All I try to do is post sales/discounts and give advice and if I could put a disclaimer, I'd say take what I say with a grain of salt.
Every one is entitled to their own opinion and I have never bashed any one elses, at least I tried not to.

I can respect yours and most of the guide I post here are either from GQ or Details so I won't really get offended with your post.

If someone asks me for advice, I'd give it to them and try and help. And hey, if people starts saying they do not want my opinion or advice, I'll gladly refrain from doing so.

black blazer is strickly nightlife.
promoter/bouncer/clubhead/partygoer
I like the blazer, skip the skinny tie or white dress shirt.
Only objection is I wouldnt pay much for one, just like my $20H&M black dress shirt

Picked up the brown suede penny loafers from the Sperry sale on Gilt. Would've preferred a 10.5, but I think I can squeeze into a 10. I don't know how dudes get on there so quick but I was on at 12 exactly and by the time I clicked on the first pair of shoes I liked they were already gone in almost every size
ohwell.gif

Back
Top Bottom