Dressing better

Originally Posted by MoMoney848

I have to ask this... why do some people on here refer to shirts, tees, jackets, pants, etc as "pieces"? It always looks weird to me when I see that. It almost feels like people are trying too hard sometimes.

That being said, those Toki's are both crazy and I need more info on those Sperry boat shoes (where and how much?).

Thanks.
Hmmm I don't know....maybe because it's a piece of clothing? That's like me saying you're trying too hard by referring to a sneaker as "crazy". We both know sneakers don't have mental dispositions. See what I mean? Don't try to stir stuff up...just appreciate the thread.

Originally Posted by MuslimShady

I picked up some Levi 512s from Ross. Has anyone heard of this style from Levis? Its called Slim and it fits waaaaaaaay better than 511s. It looks like its an older style though. Ill get some pics up soon. Best part was I scored them for only 20 bucks.

512s are pretty rare. They're usually sold in EU market.

also, make sure they're mens as 512 for womens are very common in NA. not so much for mens.

Originally Posted by damnTHOSEjs

I picked up some Levi 512s from Ross. Has anyone heard of this style from Levis? Its called Slim and it fits waaaaaaaay better than 511s. It looks like its an older style though. Ill get some pics up soon. Best part was I scored them for only 20 bucks.

also, make sure they're mens as 512 for womens are very common in NA. not so much for mens.
I'm fairly certain they're mens. I got them from the mens rack. Also, while I was checking out, I asked what I assume was the manager where they get their Levis. And he said that they're from some place in Paris. I wish they made more 512s here though. Perfect fit IMO

Originally Posted by ChewToy112

Originally Posted by wj4

Originally Posted by ChewToy112

Couple questions fellas:

Casual outfit with chucks, jeans, white button up, vest, tie optional. As a general rule, do I tuck or untuck shirt? Button or unbutton vest? Does it depend on the length of the shirt or colour of the jeans, or matter either way? My instinct says if I do no tie and perhaps lighter jeans, it's better to do untuck and unbutton, but if I do tie and darker jeans, I should tuck and button, but I dunno if other combos are acceptable. How long is too long of a shirt to leave untucked?

Second question, what mall retailers sell beeswax DB's, and also JP's? I live in Canada and I don't think we even have a store that has them here (for close to what you guys pay down there, but my family is going down this weekend to shop and said they can pick things up for me if I want. I know Macy's/Nordstrom has JP's and I heard earlier in this thread that Banana Republic carries the DB's down there. Any other places?

Thanks in advance!
I would tuck in the shirt.  As far as vest goes, I would definitely button it. The general rule is to button every button except for the last.  If the vest isn't too fitted (meaning that it wouldn't shift form if the first button isn't buttoned), I'd leave the first button unbuttoned as well.

The length of the shirt definitely plays a part on it.  Shorter cut dress shirt AKA sport shirt is meant to be worn untucked.  You can tuck it in, but the shirt tail will quickly come out of your pants because there's not enough excess material.

This is just my opinion, but lighter color jeans look really weird with a shirt tucked in.

I would personally never wear a vest over a dress shirt that's untucked, it's not even about being casual, but just looks sloppy to me.

Macy's also sell Clarks DB's.  Nordy also sells them.  Selected BR sells them, usually the bigger stores.

Note that DB is a style of shoe, there are other brands that make them.  Clarks is just popular since (I believe) they originated it.

Thanks for the info.  I always leave the bottom one undone for the vest, and I usually tuck in the shirts with dark denim.  I'm talking about dress shirts, not sport shirts btw.  And I agree with the lighter jeans = no tuck.  

Also thanks for the info on the retailers.  I know DB is just a style, but I've heard much good things about them in this thread, and I'd bet they're the easiest to find in the beeswax that I like.  So it's size .5 down in clarks DB's, and JP's as well? I'm usually between an 8.5-9 in Nike's, and I'm an 8 in Chucks.

It depends on what sort of socks you were.  For example, my Zoom Kobe IV's are sz 9.5 and I wear those with regular gym socks.  My Jordan 1s and 6s are 9, I wear those with dressl/casual socks.  I wear a size 8 in all 4 pairs of Clarks DB's I have, also with dress/casual socks.

I think you can buy them at Gap now.  I saw a pair on a mannequin today.  I know they're Clarks because of the piece of leather tag that comes with the shoes.

I'm fairly certain they're mens. I got them from the mens rack. Also, while I was checking out, I asked what I assume was the manager where they get their Levis. And he said that they're from some place in Paris. I wish they made more 512s here though. Perfect fit IMO
how do they fit compared to the 511's?

Originally Posted by MiXxing

rhester wrote:

nike-all-court-premium-tz-ss2010.jpg
bro, where and how much!?!?!

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Are these out yet? Both colors are extremely nice & that suede looks scrumptious. I'm slowly making space in my closet by either throwing out or selling sneakers. In the end, I'd like to be sitting on say, 20 pairs total of footwear. These in black would be bought x2.

Originally Posted by rsdplaya

how do they fit compared to the 511's?
I believe the difference is the amount of the taper. 511s are really tapered throughout the whole pant and quite ,for lack of a better word, skinny. 512s fit similar but a little more room without sacrificing style. I guess you could say that 512s fit like 511s after they've been stretched to your body.

Sure thing, I was gonna post pics of my fit from today anyways so I'll include some of the 512s too (I'll do it tomorrow though cause I'm a bit busy at the moment). I'll get some pics of me wearing 511s too but that won't be til next week because I left them at school.

Nice outfit, RFX.

For some reason boat shoes with no socks aren't too comfy for me.

I'm going to check these out at Macy's tomorrow to see how they feel sockless.
shoes_iaec1142523.jpg

Originally Posted by keithsweatsjordans

Originally Posted by MoMoney848

I have to ask this... why do some people on here refer to shirts, tees, jackets, pants, etc as "pieces"? It always looks weird to me when I see that. It almost feels like people are trying too hard sometimes.

That being said, those Toki's are both crazy and I need more info on those Sperry boat shoes (where and how much?).

Thanks.
Hmmm I don't know....maybe because it's a piece of clothing? That's like me saying you're trying too hard by referring to a sneaker as "crazy". We both know sneakers don't have mental dispositions. See what I mean? Don't try to stir stuff up...just appreciate the thread.

I've been here way too long to try to "stir stuff up" for no reason. I was just wondering why people did it. Also, your logic makes no sense. That's like me referring to bites of food and saying I call them pieces because they're pieces of food. How is me saying crazy the same as someone calling two shirts "pieces"? Crazy is describing how they look. Pieces is... not. You failed at sonning me. Take the L and keep it moving. 
Anyways... does anyone know how Toki's fit? Do they fit like Blazers? I'm trying to figure out if I should size up or not. 

^I guess it's similar to the folks referring to jewelry as pieces instead of chains or pendants or whatever.

I can see how some would call it a piece in a sense that it'll an item that's added to your collection or rotation.

No idea on how Toki fits, but I see them a lot now....on folks with different styles as well.

Originally Posted by Laced Up Jordans

Originally Posted by RFX45

Spring time is here!!!
this is dope.
this is the style I'm tryna shoot for.

info on the pants?
Pants are H&M Sliqs.

Originally Posted by wj4

Nice outfit, RFX.

For some reason boat shoes with no socks aren't too comfy for me.

I'm going to check these out at Macy's tomorrow to see how they feel sockless.  
I'm not very comfortable with it either so I use loafer socks. It's still not very comfortable but it is just at first, kind of when I started teh transition from sneakers to dress shoes, especially the ones with leather soles. Or a better analogy would be switching up from baggy clothes in high school to a more fitting clothes.

Originally Posted by wj4

^I guess it's similar to the folks referring to jewelry as pieces instead of chains or pendants or whatever.

I can see how some would call it a piece in a sense that it'll an item that's added to your collection or rotation.

No idea on how Toki fits, but I see them a lot now....on folks with different styles as well.
Yeah, I never got why people did that with jewelry either. Your explanation makes sense though. I am SO close to pulling the trigger on all three of these Toki's (Swan, Grey/Royal, Black/Lime). I guess if they're too big I can just exchange them later. NDC has all three of the ones I just mentioned if anyone else is interested. 

RFX-since you have a lot of H&M items, how do they hold up after several washes? The only thing I had were their white t shirts about 3-4 years back and they sucked after several washes. But now I have H&M pants and shirts. The pants get dry cleaned so I'm not too worried. But the dress shirts will be washed. If they will suck like the t shirts I had, I won't buy too many more.
laugh.gif

I had a pair of Sperry boat shoes that I wore sockless for a while, but never got used to it. As oppose to some driver loafers that felt awkward at first, but became pretty comfy after several wears.

Mine is holding up well so far, I try to just follow the instructions and wash it like it's a delicate in cold water.
Some has lost it's shape but not by much, so far for what I paid for them and considering it needed no alteration, it was worth it.
In my case though, the shirts doesn't as much wear because of my rotation so that is somethign to consider if you plan to wear it a lot.

I want those Tokis too, at least two pairs but I need to try them on first. I might just drive over the hills to Niketown tomorrow and check it out in person.

Originally Posted by RFX45

I want those Tokis too, at least two pairs but I need to try them on first. I might just drive over the hills to Niketown tomorrow and check it out in person.

Really? Okay good. Do me a favor and let me know how the fit is in comparison to... well anything else Nike really. I can figure it out from there. 

the_hundreds_johnson_low_black_ex_2.jpg

anybody know any shoes that can replicate the hundreds johnsons, I finnaly beat mine to death and was very satisfied but sold out

Back
Top Bottom