Dressing better

It's incredible how much the right clothes can transform you and you got dudes in this forum that claim if you attempt to dress better you are only doing it to claim attention...smh

Good post RFX!... The 5th makeover got me...dude looks at least 20lbs lighter.

k4fh9s.jpg

Wore this to do a photoshoot for school.

Originally Posted by RFX45

Weekend Update via GQ

The weekend is your time to relax, but no one wants to look like a schlub. Trust us, you'll not only look better—you'll feel better in clothes that actually fit. Here, GQ takes seven real guys and helps them nail their off-duty look

Dress Your Age, Man!

Adam Weinblatt, 24
Workweek: Marketing consultant
Weekend Pastime: Watching the Baltimore Ravens

"I went out a little too hard last night, so i just threw on this hoodie."

1. Layers are crucial in the spring. But a baggy hoodie makes you look sophomoric (not to mention ten pounds heavier). Graduate to a close-fitting crewneck sweatshirt.

2. Cargo pants aren't just a punch line anymore; designers have modernized them with pared-down front pockets.

Sweatshirt, $30, by Lands' End Canvas. Shirt, $218, by Unis. Pants, $295, by Rag & Bone. Sneakers, $130, by New Balance for J.Crew. Sunglasses by Mosley Tribes. Watch by Bremont. Bag by A.P.C.
upgrade-adam-weinblatt.jpg

Inject a Shot of Color

Kadeem Johnson, 21
Workweek: Student
Weekend Pastimes: Photography, blogging

"I always wear neutrals. It never occurred to me I could pull off bright colors."

1. It doesn't get any cooler than a cardigan right now. Seriously—every store has them this spring. The look is disheveled, so don't fasten every button.

2. We're not saying you need to abandon denim. Just think beyond it. Our favorite alternative right now? Bold chinos that pop with color.

3. Boat shoes are back, but Kadeem lives in the city. This all-black pair is built for the street, not the dock.

Cardigan, $90, by Banana Republic. Shirt, $40, by Lands' End Canvas. Chinos, $50, by Dockers. Shoes, $230, by Quoddy. Belt by Lands' End. Watch by TAG Heuer.
upgrade-kadeem-johnson.jpg

Downsize Your Shirt

Marcelo Lima, 19
Workweek: Waiter
Weekend Pastimes: Dining out, dancing

"My friends tell me I dress like a dad."

1. Save your dress shirts for the workweek—they're cut too long to wear untucked. Instead, get shirts designed to be worn that way. They should hit just below your belt.

2. Don't always wear sneakers on the weekend. We all can and should dress sharper, on duty and off.

Shirt, $230, by Band of Outsiders. Pants, $195, by Vince. Loafers, $140, by Banana Republic. Watch by Calvin Klein Collection.
upgrade-marcelo-lima.jpg

Learn How a Leather Jacket Should Fit

Evan Jacobucci, 24
Workweek: Landscaper
Weekend Pastime: More landscaping

"The only fitted thing I own is long underwear for working in the winter."

1. Evan thought his leather jacket fit snugly. He was wrong. Your leather jacket should fit like you race motorcycles: Any extra length or width is a drag.

2. See all that extra denim bunching at Evan's ankles (above)? Get rid of it! Whether you're wearing jeans, khakis, or cargos, the legs should be cut slim and straight, just touching your shoes.

3. Go all hi/lo and juxtapose the tie with sneaks.

Jacket, $750, and khakis, $165, by Armani Jeans. Shirt, $115, by Gant Rugger. Tie, $95, by Ralph Lauren Black Label. Sneakers, $42, by Vans. Watch by David Yurman.
upgrade-evan-jacobucci.jpg

Buy an Off-Duty Blazer

Dan Fettig, 23 Workweek: Barista Weekend Pastime: Running

"I went out and bought a pair of slim straight jeans after the shoot."

1. The weekend calls for a blazer different from the workweek's. This jacket is unlined and cotton, meaning it's laid-back—and so comfortable you could sleep in it.

2. Dan's chinos are big enough for a man fifty pounds heavier and five inches taller. He's in good shape, and these slim straight jeans prove it.

3. Most of your work clothes should stay home on the weekend. But dress shoes, like wingtips, are the exception.

Sports jacket, $425, by PureDKNY. Shirt, $230, by Band of Outsiders. Jeans, $178, by Citizens of Humanity. Shoes, $325, by Allen Edmonds. Belt by Ralph Lauren. Watch by Hamilton. Bag by American Apparel.
upgrade-dan-fettig.jpg

Abandon the Excess Bagginess

Fabiano Messias, 25
Workweek: Student
Weekend Pastimes: Working out, playing soccer

"I was worried these jeans would be uncomfortable, but they were pretty much perfect."

1. Here's our promise: Looking sharp as hell on Saturday and Sunday isn't going to cost you any comfort. In fact, it'll probably get you laid. You can still wear a T-shirt and jeans, but put some style into it. This tee fits Fabiano's body snugly rather than hanging off it.

2. It doesn't get any easier than this: Everyone has blue jeans, so wear white instead.

T-shirt, $30, by Levi's. Jeans, $168, by AG Adriano Goldschmied. Shoes, $475, by Ralph Lauren. Jacket, $80, by Topman. Watch by Tokyobay. Belt by Gucci. Necklace by Me&Ro. Soccer ball by Nike.
upgrade-fabiano-messias.jpg

Spiff Up Your Slicker

Christian Fuller, 33
Workweek: Gallery manager
Weekend Pastimes: Playing music, making visual art

"I thought I needed lots of room to layer."

1. Your rain jacket need not fit like the ponchos they hand out at NFL games. You want enough room to allow for a couple of layers, nothing extra.

2. It's a go-to GQ style secret that never loses its edge: Wear a white or light-color shirt under a dark V-neck sweater. It's one surefire way to layer up.

3. The cool kids have been rolling up their cuffs and going sockless for several years now, so no need to fear looking too fashiony anymore. Give it a shot.

Windbreaker, $79, by Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger. Sweater, $145, by Fred Perry. Shirt, $195, by Thom Browne New York. Shoes, $250, by Quoddy. Watch by Burberry. Hair by Jordan.
upgrade-christian-fuller.jpg
pimp.gif
great tips.

Quick question: I bought an oxford from Uniqlo today and the length of the sleeves are perfect but the overall length of it is longer than what i wanted to be. Should I go back and get a size smaller or stick with it? I'm trying to wear this untucked so yea.

Jesus Christ do you guys have to quote all those pictures.
30t6p3b.gif

dude quoted the GQ piece right after RFX posted the piece.

I feel for the overweight people in this thread. Im not fat, but being 6'2 215 with huge shoulders and muscular things an atheltic build makes it hard so dress in a more form fitting way.

Id like some denim that fit a LITTLE more snug, but my quads are just too big. I gotta stick to Levis 501 STFs.
Edit: that sounded kinda gay.

Originally Posted by Cronicmolemolereturns

GQ gets it wrong alot....have you looking uncomfortable and confused in real life,.

It's only uncomfortable if you're not used to it.
I'll use KSteezy as an example since he recently posted a "before" pic.

I am almost certain that what KSteezy wears now would have been very uncomfortable to him back then and it's the same way today, if he wore those clothes again even in the right size, it'll probably feel uncomfortable.

Your body has to adapt to it. 

I agree that it isn't for everyone but being fat can still work with those steps. 

You just have to try and wear the right size and the right fit, don't settle for something because you don't think changing your clothes and changing how clothes fits won't make a difference. 

GQ may no be the best but it is better than taking tips from palces like these:

http://www.menshealth.com/style/dressright/

+1000

The first time I tried on a slim fitting oxford shirt and the 511 trousers I felt pretty uncomfortable. This coming from a pretty skinny guy, 5'10" 155lbs. After wearing them a few times they actually become comfortable and I adapted to well fitting clothes. Now I just look at my old straight fit/wider jeans and trousers and "classic" shirts and
30t6p3b.gif
Can't wait until they are all out of my closet or tailored to a proper and more comfortable fit.

Yup, it just takes sometime to adjust, the majority of my friends dress nothing like me, they are still on that 2003 NY steez, they used to make fun of me an the other day my boy tried to pull my card about my pants and asked his girl "babe why is elkins jeans so damn tight?!" she turned around and replied "well I actually think it looks very neat"...I just looked at him with the
smokin.gif
face...lol...I've been trying to tell them for years that baggy $@!* is not a good look specially as you get older, I've even playe personal shopper for them, but they won't budge...lol

Change is tough, what can I say.

upgrade-adam-weinblatt.jpg

Fell in love with the pants when I first went through the issue. Can anyone point me into the direction of something very similar? Absolutely love these, but I'm not dropping $300 on them.

Originally Posted by oo206oo

I feel for the overweight people in this thread. Im not fat, but being 6'2 215 with huge shoulders and muscular things an atheltic build makes it hard so dress in a more form fitting way.

Id like some denim that fit a LITTLE more snug, but my quads are just too big. I gotta stick to Levis 501 STFs.
Edit: that sounded kinda gay.

Nothing against you in particular but every guys think they have giagntic thighs for some reason. When it comes to jeans, they tend to stretch, a lot. Especially Levis where it says stretch in the sticker, try buying a pair of 514's that feels and looks tight, wear it a a couple of times and they will stretch 2-3 sizes. Just make sure it says "stretch" on it and you'd be good. 
I honestly used to think the same way, I was asking on other forums what jeans are right for me because I have huge thighs from basketball and running, etc... I said I always said 514's were the perfect jeans, you can even see it fromt he beginning of this thread. Then I tried on the 511's and that's practically all I wear now. Then I said 511's are the slimmest I'd wear and then I tried on the 510's and just sized up and they fit me well too. So it is just trial and error and don't be too afraid to try different sizings out.

Originally Posted by YuraS718

Fell in love with the pants when I first went through the issue. Can anyone point me into the direction of something very similar? Absolutely love these, but I'm not dropping $300 on them.

i saw the price tag and was 
eek.gif
.  $300 for cargo pants?

They make 514s (or maybe even 511s) cargos now.
Pocket position is different but it has a slimmer fit than other cargo pants out there.
shogun wrote:
YuraS718 wrote:

i saw the price tag and was 
eek.gif
.  $300 for cargo pants?
laugh.gif
 That's nothing, there are $350-$500 sweatpants out there. 
embarassed.gif

Back
Top Bottom