Dressing better

Originally Posted by ballinamillion1

Originally Posted by ksteezy

Originally Posted by ScarsOrScabs

Originally Posted by CE0 Mal

A couple $#%holes in the past few page.

If you don't like the thread, get out.
If that's directed at my WDYWT comment, it's just my opinion.  This thread sustained itself for long enough without being odd angle pics of some of dudes' outfits.  It's just not my thing, I never participated in WDYWT threads whether it is streetwear or dressing better.  I think it's a little odd but that's my opinion.

I pay attention to this thread because of information and if there's any input or questions I have, I make it known.  My style is more in line with this thread than "typical" NTers so I'll stay in.

I understand where you are coming from, me bein one of the dudes that lately has been pretty active on here can tell you that I appreciate to see a piece on the average Joe like when RFX posts or ESCO or NIi, rather than when a picture of a GQ spread is posted, mainly because it seems more true to what the piece would look like in real life, rather than the perfect height, physique and model for that pair of pants, shirt, jacket....therefore I myself try to contribute and I only post when I feel I've thrown something on across the lines of what "Dressing better" may be...obviously I've learn that jays, foams, sb's, cargo shorts and graphic tees do not fall in that category, so those type of fits can stay in the WDYWT....that's just my take on it. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you.

Keep doing u man, both your fits and Aceofjays, fits have been inspiring me to wear different pieces together that I never even thought would work...
^THIS
Dudes already know both me and my girl check this thread almost daily... Its funny because she actually calls you all by your screen names like even when we are in public. She literally mentioned AceofJays while we out shopping the other day and I was looking for shoes 
laugh.gif
, it actually made me laugh because as we all know Rule #1 is to never directly mention NT lol....

Anyways I appreciate alot of the fits and tips I have gotten from this thread within the last couple of weeks. Dudes who are complaining should be ignored. 

Lastly, I got the hookup on some Nudies so I will let u all know how they fit when I cop a pair.... my everyday jean for the last couple of months has actually been a pair of Gap Selvage Skinnys.... (I rock them at least 4 times a week lol)... Only reason I'm even bothering to cop the Nudies is because I didn't size up on the Gap joints and they are too slim for some of my kicks. In reality I hate alot of that fancy-smancy Selvage denim stuff because I gotta get it tailored pretty much as soon as I leave the store (cuts are too long) 

PS DONT forget its GAP wed.... May actually pick up a nice pair of khakis or jeans today when I get finished with school and work
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Storm2006

Originally Posted by emacdaddy24

Sure people can have their opinion and take "gramps" jabs but if you don't have anything to contribute like say some constructive criticism or "I'm not feeling this because..." then why waste your time?

34514b5b4b8f83919.gif

I think some of these young'ns are getting confused when they enter this thread. Dressing better doesn't mean some baggy Girbaud jeans and an extra long Polo. As for complaining about the pics of people's outfits, I don't see how that is excessive? I mean, yes people could just show images of the clothing but the way it fits and accessories is probably one of the most important parts of dressing better.

Anyhow, as I digress, what checks do you guys perform when trying on a suit jacket? I like what aceofjays did by getting the tailoring done, but do you look for the jacket to have a certain fit before even purchasing it? I guess it's rather difficult to find a suit jacket that fits right out of the gate.

My 2 cents

i'm 27 and have seen a lot of change in "style" of dress over the past year or 2 ...

i got called gramps the other day b/c i rocked a turtleneck sweater ... i didn't see the big deal but my boys had jokes ... it's whatever though ... i buy what i like ... if i were to post an outfit and get clowned ... so be it, if some said that's looks cool ... that's cool too ... i never thought i would sell some of my jays but you get older and find yourself in less settings to wear of lot of clothes you used to rock (speaking for self) ... it's not a complete 180 but i enjoy "dressing" up for me more as opposed to jordans, jeans, fitted combo (can still catch me in this as well)

buy what you like, buy what you can afford, offer your opinion and keep it constructive .... people are in here to learn more ... if it's an "original" (someone prolly beat u to it), if i see something in a magazine, i see something on a mannequin, i see something walking around, internet ... it doesn't matter to me how i got the idea for something b/c if i cop, i will put my own spin on it ...

the thing i learned the most is to buy clothes that FIT ... and a tip for some ... vanity sizing exists for men as well ... check the waist of all your dress pants ... as in get a tape measure and see how much bigger the waste is than the size tag... i've been a victim in the past
indifferent.gif
 and i pretty much size down for my pants now depending on the company... 

OH and to answer about the suit jacket ... 

you want the shoulders to be exact ... there should be no roll off the shoulder ( nothing material hanging off the shoulders ) ... if the mid section has creases it's too short ... be mindful of ur cuff length ... the length of the jacket should be around your knuckles ... there are quite a few more ... a suit jacket is a serious purchase ... you should def. do your homework and if you're not getting it custom made ... you should get it tailored ... (it's rare for a store jacket to fit like a glove off the rack no matter how good the brand is)

Originally Posted by omgitswes

Forgot to post what I came in here for in the first place.

I'm getting a nice pair of denim whenever this check comes in. Any help on what to get? All I wear now are 514s, I want them a little slimmer but tapered at the bottom.
What APCs are like that? Or any other brand actually, trying to stay under around 200

From what my homeboy tells me the best thing to do is to get your pants jeans etc tapered to fit to your perfect liking unless you just fall into that size category that everythings fits just right

Aren't the J Crew ones about 100 bucks though? You could get a better pair for not that much more.
Never tried the Gap, I should go there and check them out this weekend.

and yeah bro, I know about that. I just want a better pair than what I have already. I only wear like 4 pairs of jeans and they're all 514s, want to get something nicer

Yeah the JCREW 484's are 100$...if you get to use your student discount, they come to like 90$...which IMO is not bad at all for some jeans...however you can definatly find some cheaper, I know H&M suck in quality, but I've gotten a few pants from there that have surprised me as far as their fit...might want to check them out to, 20$ pants?...can't really beat it
roll.gif

^Like u said tho quality usually sucks with H&M.... They are good for those one night only outfits....

Gap kinda sounds like the best bet for alot of guys in here.... Trust me on a day like today u can catch them for like 40 which is a great price on a good jean

The JCrew joints are nice but that 100 price tag aint.... Now that I'm somewhat "connected" in Cleveland I refuse to pay that much for a pair of jeans unless they had an original retail of twice that (stupid I know but I like to feel I saved money lol)

Originally Posted by Mark Antony

Who the %*!% you calling "gramps"!!!!?

Jaykayyy

Not you, Eiddy. son got the shirt tucked in high above his waist with them pants and shoes that ain't modern or dressing better to me at all, it just looks old and outdated.  This is my opinion though.  Wanna know what i think this thread has turned into? with the exception of maybe nii and rfx, cats that really do this, ya'll dudes are just throwing anything together that isn't what ya'll wore 2 yrs ago, without thought or effort and have a pretentious sense of entitlement that it's right no matter what, and that this is supposed to be one big @+***$! lovefest where no criticism is allowed and not a dressing better thread.  Funny thing is the cats i check for in the thread either pay no mind to overly harsh and worthless criticism, or address it appropriately.  I invite the emotional groupies to do the same, or otherwise choke yaselves.

Didn't know there was so much animosity and supressed emotions towards this thread, I haven't been here that long but I thought this was a thread for inspiration, information and C&C...if what it takes is for dudes to post fits of what they feel is "dressing better" then let it be, I personally have enjoyed Ace's fits...wether his reason for posting is attention or groupie love, I really don't care, dude pulls it together. Since I started posting here, the dude that impressed me most is Nii, but I'm rarely suited up, so I can't really pick up anything from his sense of style....but I'm sure someone out there is...and to me that's the point of the thread, or no?

Naw chill, there's no animosity at all, i love this thread.  It's closer to how i dress and i've dug eiddys fits and yours before and like you said, joints are for inspiration.   What i can't stand is the one time you don't like a fit and say "i don't like that" cats wanna jump all over it like "naw this aint what this thread about!". And of course there's no right or wrong, but some of you softees seem to want to have a ban on criticism.  I'm no fashionista, but i'm in this thread, so as i can give a thumbs up without explanation, i can give a thumbs down.  I have a disdain for people in general though who avoid criticism and confrontation like life is all ponys and butterflies and theres a few in this thread.  So again those dudes, kick rocks.

And hey i love ya'll though don't get it twisted.  But don't spend too much time on this keep it moving.

Originally Posted by ballinamillion1

Keep doing u man, both your fits and Aceofjays, fits have been inspiring me to wear different pieces together that I never even thought would work...
cRazy dav0:

My 2 cents

i'm 27 and have seen a lot of change in "style" of dress over the past year or 2 ...

i got called gramps the other day b/c i rocked a turtleneck sweater ... i didn't see the big deal but my boys had jokes ... it's whatever though ... i buy what i like ... if i were to post an outfit and get clowned ... so be it, if some said that's looks cool ... that's cool too ... i never thought i would sell some of my jays but you get older and find yourself in less settings to wear of lot of clothes you used to rock (speaking for self) ... it's not a complete 180 but i enjoy "dressing" up for me more as opposed to jordans, jeans, fitted combo (can still catch me in this as well)

buy what you like, buy what you can afford, offer your opinion and keep it constructive .... people are in here to learn more ... if it's an "original" (someone prolly beat u to it), if i see something in a magazine, i see something on a mannequin, i see something walking around, internet ... it doesn't matter to me how i got the idea for something b/c if i cop, i will put my own spin on it ... 

the thing i learned the most is to buy clothes that FIT ... and a tip for some ... vanity sizing exists for men as well ... check the waist of all your dress pants ... as in get a tape measure and see how much bigger the waste is than the size tag... i've been a victim in the past 
indifferent.gif
 and i pretty much size down for my pants now depending on the company... 

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]sneakaprince:
[/font]

Dudes already know both me and my girl check this thread almost daily... Its funny because she actually calls you all by your screen names like even when we are in public. She literally mentioned AceofJays while we out shopping the other day and I was looking for shoes 
laugh.gif
, it actually made me laugh because as we all know Rule #1 is to never directly mention NT lol....

Anyways I appreciate alot of the fits and tips I have gotten from this thread within the last couple of weeks. Dudes who are complaining should be ignored

bfe15f69a6b6fa20a2956815c5e1a03ffcddf92.gif

This is all that matters...inspiration. We're all just trying to enhance our personal sense of style.

Got you Mark, C&C goes both ways and should be respected equally, I've gotten clowned on the way I laced my shoes and I'm actually giving different lacing styles a try...people who can't take negative Criticism shouldn't post at all...I don't mind it....I taught myself photography from getting my pictures *%#%@*! on on POTN
roll.gif

Negative C&C in the long run is far more valuable.

The barneys warehouse sale in NYC starts tomorrow. Anyone been? How is the quality? Should I show up at 8 or 9? I don't need to be the first one in the door but don't want to be waiting in a huge line if I show up at 8 and I'm not planning on getting there super early to wait in line.

Originally Posted by 21 World B Free 21

The barneys warehouse sale in NYC starts tomorrow. Anyone been? How is the quality? Should I show up at 8 or 9? I don't need to be the first one in the door but don't want to be waiting in a huge line if I show up at 8 and I'm not planning on getting there super early to wait in line.

More info on this?...location?

Feb 17 - Mar 6, 2011

Thursday February 17th - Friday February 18th @ 8:00 AM - 9:00 PM

Weekends @ 10:00 AM - 7:00 PM

Weekdays @ 10:00 AM - 9:00 PM

This is at the Barney's on fifth or all Barney's?

Its just a location they rent out not a barneys retail outlet... if you've been to any sample sale in the city its basically that.
21 World - Quality of the sale differs...obviously the first day is the best day to go and id suggest going as early as possible, yes there will be a line, most times people start lining up very very early morning...as for what will be for sale its a toss up but the prices will definitely be right. Basically whatever hasn't sold in Barneys during final sale will be there.

I'm getting a nice pair of denim whenever this check comes in. Any help on what to get? All I wear now are 514s, I want them a little slimmer but tapered at the bottom.
What APCs are like that? Or any other brand actually, trying to stay under around 200
With the price increase, APCs are not even worth it any more.  If you can spend a little more, I would suggest getting RRL (in the low-straight fit) which should run you 225+tax.  
And aceofjays, here are the boots:

Alden Cap-toe with commando soles on the grant last.  

Forgot to mention, these are cigar shell cordovan.

Obviously it varies but how long would I expect to wait before getting into the sale if I showed up at 8AM tomorrow? Trying to make sure its worth it and still show up for work at a reasonable time (945ish)

I was in the same boat and bought some of the APC New Standards since they are the second most loose fitting they have. The Rescue is the widest cut of APC but I have no idea how they fit. I sized down one size too much (supposed to for stretching) so mine are pretty snug from thigh to ankle and fit just like a Levi's 511. If I had picked up the right size I think I would have a 514 type fit in the thigh with a nice taper. But the price tag is steep as they upped their prices to $175 so your best bet may be some 514's that are take to a tailor. The quality on the APC is great though, they are built to last for sure.

For denim, I'd skip APC's altogether, (not fond of paying $225 for pre-distressed RRL denim either) and go with Levi LVC, their 1947 cut is nice and slim. Used to be able to cop for around $175, but they hiked the price to about $250 for this seasons line. (see Cultizm.com)

You can find pairs on ebay for cheaper though (I swooped a pair for $175).

For something a little less expensive, I'd go with Levi's selvage raw 501 model at $98 (Levi.com always have deals, I copped a pair for $60 with 40% off)

http://us.levi.com/product/index.js...w=501&sr=1&f=PAD2FCategory2FMen&lmdn=Category

pLEVI1-8988778_alternate2_t500x607.jpg

Or, you can never go wrong with Levi 501 Shrink-To-Fit for around $40. Here's some dope, new colors they just dropped:

Sand
pLEVI1-8988347t500x607.jpg

Dark Khaki
pLEVI1-8995101t500x607.jpg

Dark Grey
pLEVI1-8995211t500x607.jpg

for those willing to drop a little more, check out Flat Head. The 4001 model, if you're looking for black denim, or the 3001 for indigo. Easily my favorite Denim. Nice slim fit. I'll try to post some pictures in the next couple..

Back
Top Bottom