Driving Across the Country? 2300 Miles & Driving.

I've spent the last few weeks mapping out a route and lining up things to see/check out from VA to AZ.

Anyone done this before? Any input?

Thanks in advance.

*I still might ship my car out to Arizona knowing my tendency to find myself in interesting situations.

Any suggestions for freight shipping or shipping automobiles?

No I don't drive a RR or a Phantom...word to Gold Street Capital.

I hope to someday see every state on my bike.

Why not just go all the way to Cali?

I've been to a few spots in Cali. I liked San Diego.

I have a few friends scattered in the state and a good friend in San Fran.

I took a job to land in Sacramento, CA, but FEMA is dragging their feet on the clearance and I was offered something in Mesa, AZ. Figured I'd pick it up in the meantime and let things play out.

I just know I'm not headed back to VA/DC for quite some time...if ever.

A different vibe out here for sure than the East Coast.

Being born in NY and growing up in VA. The small things are wild out here. The handshakes, lingo, etc.

I like seeing different perspectives though. Not a lot of minorities out here though it seems like...so far. Folks are blown away when they see/hear about the diversity back home.

I've spent the last few weeks mapping out a route and lining up things to see/check out from VA to AZ.

Anyone done this before? Any input?

Thanks in advance.

*I still might ship my car out to Arizona knowing my tendency to find myself in interesting situations.

Any suggestions for freight shipping or shipping automobiles?

No I don't drive a RR or a Phantom...word to Gold Street Capital.
driven from cali to colorado once

took me about 3 days in total i had to stop at a motel/inn in the middle of nowhere halfway through to get some rest then finish the trip

the drive gets tedious and boring but you get to see a lot of cool stuff

I don't know the specific company/service, but my brother rented out a portion of a big trailer when he moved from FL to Colorado. He loaded up his section with all his stuff, then he just drove out in his car with his friend.

I made the return trip years later with him when he moved back, but we were in a U-Haul and put his car on a trailer behind us

Unfortunately, it wasn't a leisure trip at all, so we didn't really enjoy it but I've still always wanted to make that kind of trip. It's definitely better with someone else, just to save you from getting bored and you can cover more ground if you get tired and want to take a break from driving.

Whatever you do, avoid Kansas. Words can't express how boring it was to drive through that state :lol:

I don't know the specific company/service, but my brother rented out a portion of a big trailer when he moved from FL to Colorado. He loaded up his section with all his stuff, then he just drove out in his car with his friend.

I made the return trip years later with him when he moved back, but we were in a U-Haul and put his car on a trailer behind us

Unfortunately, it wasn't a leisure trip at all, so we didn't really enjoy it but I've still always wanted to make that kind of trip. It's definitely better with someone else, just to save you from getting bored and you can cover more ground if you get tired and want to take a break from driving.

Whatever you do, avoid Kansas. Words can't express how boring it was to drive through that state :lol:

I think I am stopping in Knoxville, TN...OKC...Amarillo, TX and possibly Santa Fe, NM. I know a girl in TN, a former coworker in OKC, and nobody in TX/NM.

I have a couple of friends who are "down to roll" with me...not sure how reliable or handy they will be on the trip. :lol:

driven from cali to colorado once

took me about 3 days in total i had to stop at a motel/inn in the middle of nowhere halfway through to get some rest then finish the trip
the drive gets tedious and boring but you get to see a lot of cool stuff

Right on. Definitely setting aside more time than anticipated in case I get side tracked and venture off course.

2300 miles is just longgggggg....:smh:

If you can, I'd definitely bring some friend(s) along. Even if you enjoy driving long distances alone, it'll still wear on you after awhile and it would be nice to have someone drive for a couple hours... plus having someone to talk to would make a difference :lol:

$1000 - $1200 to ship my car out here.

2300 miles. Car gets 400 miles to the tank roughly. $60-$70 to fill up. $150-$200 for a one way flight. Looking at $600-$700 to drive it out myself...that's with no speeding tickets, accidents, Acts of God, etc.

Hmmm.....

I'll sleep on this.

I could just sell it and buy something out here as well.

Might as well start all the way fresh.

I think I am stopping in Knoxville, TN...OKC...Amarillo, TX and possibly Santa Fe, NM. I know a girl in TN, a former coworker in OKC, and nobody in TX/NM.

I have a couple of friends who are "down to roll" with me...not sure how reliable or handy they will be on the trip.
laugh.gif

Right on. Definitely setting aside more time than anticipated in case I get side tracked and venture off course.

2300 miles is just longgggggg....
mean.gif
drove around the country a couple of times and listening to audiobooks always made time go fast. satellite radio is also a necessity.

like others have said, bring a friend or two and drive in organized shifts every day

that drive through texas is long and boring, but def look up the bbq spots. gas stations in NM sell fireworks that you won't find in other states, so stock up. also, fill up on gas every time you get to 1/3 cuz you never know how far the next gas station is in some parts of the country.

word of advice, mesa is ghetto as hell.

stay out of south phoenix.

if you can move to gilbert or possibly tempe all lil suburbs around that area.

you doing fema work out in AZ or are they putting you in some other department like ICE?

you doing fema work out in AZ or are they putting you in some other department like ICE?

Ha. Noted. The position in Mesa is with Veteran Affairs. I'll head down tomorrow to check it out.

How is Glendale/Sun City.

There are so many cities/towns here and a plethora of places to eat and workout. VA doesn't have options like this.

Ha. Noted. The position in Mesa is with Veteran Affairs. I'll head down tomorrow to check it out.

There are so many cities/towns here and a plethora of places to eat and workout. VA doesn't have options like this.
glendale was aiight it has its good and bad places, tempe is where all the college kids live.

you got mill ave where all the bars are, scottsdale is cracking too.

lots of cougars but also lots of douchebags.

theres alot to do, you got ASU right there, it's been a min since i've visited AZ so maybe things have changed.

you will be able to tell real quick which places to avoid.

Gilbert or Chandler are both nice places to live. North Phoenix/Scottsdale as well. If your on a budget Glendale has decent housing for low prices. Like Rustle said, South Phoenix/Tempe/Mesa arent the nicest spots to live in 

I did that trip but i went from AZ to VA

the trip is long as F!!! TEXAS is a BIG STATE. boring as all hell. got a ticket there too.

For those saying south phoenix is bad...maybe, i have never had issues in arizona anywhere... but if you coming from VA, you are gonna feel extra safe in comparison.

petersburg/Richmond compared to anywhere in AZ....AZ is much safer.

i want to hit AZ on my bike and drive through monument valley national park so bad....
eek.gif

im jelly of anyone who has access to these kinds of sights 
frown.gif

Last edited:
Just did a cross country trip with my sister at the beginning of this month.  Flew out to Boston where she lived and drove with her back to Cali.  Overall it was a fun trip because we made a lot of stops and saw some interesting things.  Boston to Chicago was fun.  Chicago to Los Angeles, I can say I wouldn't mind if I never did that again.

Gilbert or Chandler are both nice places to live. North Phoenix/Scottsdale as well. If your on a budget Glendale has decent housing for low prices. Like Rustle said, South Phoenix/Tempe/Mesa arent the nicest spots to live in 

I'm about to head to Downtown Phoenix/Tempe today. Check out ASU as well.

I like the fact that there are 24 gyms out here and a lot of trails for biking.

No excuses to fall out of shape out here.

I just wanted to be somewhere close to Luke AFB as that is a viable place of employment.

Coming from the DC area where it took me an hour & a half on a good day to go 18 miles. A short commute is important.

I did that trip but i went from AZ to VA

the trip is long as F!!! TEXAS is a BIG STATE. boring as all hell. got a ticket there too.

For those saying south phoenix is bad...maybe, i have never had issues in arizona anywhere... but if you coming from VA, you are gonna feel extra safe in comparison.

petersburg/Richmond compared to anywhere in AZ....AZ is much safer.

I figured that. I lived in Southside and Northside Richmond....First 48 was based out of there a few years, but I never had any issues. I truly think it is how a person carries themselves.

I don't have a look/vibe of someone who can get got or seems uncomfortable in less than desirable areas. Those are the places I grew up in.

Couldn't even imagine how long and boring that drive would be.

Drove from ATL back to NE, 16 hour trip and I drove the whole way...

Was bored as ****. Had my whole itunes on shuffle with the beats and had to periodically stick my head out the window and yell to stay awake.

i drove from houston to vegas and back. listened to the game of thrones audiobook the whole way :pimp:

stopped somewhere in new mexico on the way there. stopped in el paso on the way back.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom