Dwayne Johnson set to play Folk Hero John Henry vol. Not black enough?

Like Vin Diesel, he's Black when he wants to be. He praises his Samoan heritage more than anything. Winston Duke would have been a good casting. He has the imposing build.

Rock my guy, even though he's a Republican, and is "black enough" to play this role. Lot of ignorance being spewed in here right now. Black is a spectrum and as someone who was characterized at points for not being black enough I take personal offense to this.

But what people say shouldn't effect how you see yourself especially if you have black/african features. Rock has been pushing away his "blackness" for a while. When he's in a movie with a white wife and a lilly white daughter what we supposed do with that?

Black people WANTED to claim Rock for years and HE is sending the message like "I'm not over there, I'm something else"

Same thing with Tiger. Black people was riding for Tiger then he said he's not black so... ok.

As someone had the Rock brought into my life as wrestler I've never even considered him not identifying as Black man.

Reactions: MVP
But what people say shouldn't effect how you see yourself especially if you have black/african features. Rock has been pushing away his "blackness" for a while. When he's in a movie with a white wife and a lilly white daughter what we supposed do with that?

Black people WANTED to claim Rock for years and HE is sending the message like "I'm not over there, I'm something else"

Same thing with Tiger. Black people was riding for Tiger then he said he's not black so... ok.

Rock has said I'm not black? He pushes away his own father? Rock doesn't have black features? Black people didn't claim Rock for years especially when he was wrestling? Y'all reaching as usual.

How has the Rock been pushing away from his blackness. He posts about his dad being black, breaking barriers, visiting the lynching museum, etc. all the time on social media. He's very open about his background and his upbringing. He's not running away from anything, he's not sending out an anti-black message. What makes you think he is?

How has the Rock been pushing away from his blackness. He posts about his dad being black, breaking barriers, visiting the lynching museum, etc. all the time on social media. He's very open about his background and his upbringing. He's not running away from anything, he's not sending out an anti-black message. What makes you think he is?

He wasn't like that in the 90s and early 00s.

whether yall want to admit it or not...this is still Hollywoods version of white-washing. It's deeper than just pushing a white actor towards everything. Also includes pushing the ones they deem 'acceptable'

some of you may be in your feels when we say Rock's not black enough for the role of a black slave....we say he's not black enough and you just dont understand....but i bet you'd fully agree if we were too say theres clearly some people that are 'too black', and it has nothing to do with skin color, but too black mentality, too proud of their heritage that the white folks and jews in hollywood wouldn't take a chance on them. You have to be safe to be black in hollywood. You can't be real. They want 'good black folk'. Rock's not black black, he's just black enough for them. All of our black leaders and speakers...when they're portrayed in movies...theyre always fire starters. Always overly aggressive and destructive. Always bad for society at large.

They gonna give Rock a fro? Make him talk differently? Act differently? Give him a fully black son?

Rock has said I'm not black? He pushes away his own father? Rock doesn't have black features? Black people didn't claim Rock for years especially when he was wrestling? Y'all reaching as usual.

Ya'll wanna this question?

When he's in a movie with a white wife and a lilly white daughter what we supposed do with that?

san-andreas-box-office.jpg

I'm sure when the legend of John Henry was thought up it wasn't with some lighter skinned mixed dude in mind. It was with skin like coal form working in the sun all day, raw hands and hard backed black men and women out in the field. The lighter skinned folks were in the houses, pouring lemonade and getting food, usually being called by their own names. It were the darker skinned slaves that were living hard, that truly needed the inspiration of a man that looked just like them, that was a slave just like them, that accomplished something they hoped to, in being freed and having the opportunity to own land.

Ya'll wanna this question?

san-andreas-box-office.jpg

You first answer those other questions. Idk why he had a white wife. Maybe cause that's who the studio casted. I know he has one in real life which is the case with a lot of the other actors who were mentioned as alternative choices for John Henry. Are they not black enough even though they're dark skinned? My little bro just had his 1st kid who's mixed with blue eyes and light as hell.

Y'all sound ignorant. Being black goes beyond skin hue.

You first answer those other questions. Idk why he had a white wife. Maybe cause that's who the studio casted. I know he has one in real life which is the case with a lot of the other actors who were mentioned as alternative choices for John Henry. Are they not black enough even though they're dark skinned? My little bro just had his 1st kid who's mixed with blue eyes and light as hell.

Y'all sound ignorant.

We ignorant cuz we see him sending the message that he's something other? Ok.

And also you got real selective reading. I never said Rock didn't have black features. That's why it's funny as hell to see him with a lilly white daughter in a movie. And I clearly said that black people wanted to claim him.

And we know damn well why he had a white daughter. :lol: To market himself a certain way, it ain't no mystery.

I don’t even think it has to do with whether or not he identifies as black because he’s half black regardless. It’s literally about his appearance. I just don’t see a straight up Polynesian looking guy fitting the role of an African American folk hero. I had the same problem with him playing Hercules.

If dude was half black and white, and looked straight up white it’d be the same issue but a lot of you defending it would have a different tune.

We ignorant cuz we see him sending the message that he's something other? Ok.

And also you got real selective reading. I never said Rock didn't have black features. That's why it's funny as hell to see him with a lilly white daughter in a movie. And I clearly said that black people wanted to claim him.

And we know damn well why he had a white daughter. :lol: To market himself a certain way, it ain't no mystery.

When did the Rock say he wasn't black? When did he deny his father/heritage? When did black people not claim the Rock? Since y'all were the ones to throw out Tiger Woods.

The studios are behind casting and marketing decisions 99% of the time unless you're a partner in making a movie. Now if John Henry has a white wife be mad all you want.

When did the Rock say he wasn't black? When did he deny his father/heritage? When did black people not claim the Rock? Since y'all were the ones to throw out Tiger Woods.

The studios are behind casting and marketing decisions 99% of the time unless you're a partner in making a movie. Now if John Henry has a white wife be mad all you want.
The Rock is not some new actor with no pull. He is currently the most successful actor in Hollywood. He has the voice and power to choose who his love interests and family is. Stop making like he's powerless. You can't name another black actors who has had a movie with a all white family. Even the light skinned ones.

If this dude was playing the role the people defending the rock would be throwing a fit.

bigstock-LOS-ANGELES-JUN-Shannon-Kook.jpg

Yes he’s half.

The Rock is not some new actor with no pull. He is currently the most successful actor in Hollywood. He has the voice and power to choose who his love interests and family is. Stop making like he's powerless. You can't name another black actors who has had a movie with a all white family. Even the light skinned ones.

I never said he doesn't have pull. I doubt you've ever gone on an audition before. Just how Hollywood works and has been working for decades now. Why you think black panther was the 1st movie of it's kind and there had never been a cast for a major blockbuster movie. Even with well established actors like were in there. Unless you're directing, executive producing, or a partner with the studios your gravitas only goes so far.

18dxjee7jam79jpg.jpg

gameplanFF.jpg

Kevin was cast as the 'black guy' in this movie

the_rock_-_instagram_-_jumanji-_h_-_2016.jpg

1. In that first movie (Race to Witch Mountain), those aren't his kids and that's not his wife/love interest. You're just posting pictures of the Rock with white people at this point. :lol::lol::lol:

2. Yes, he has a mixed kid in the Game Plan. That girl is the same complexion as his real-life kids. You expect him to have a dark-skinned kid?

3. Kevin Hart is cast as Kevin Hart. He has his own brand. You're trippin

Yeah I said Tiger SAID he's not black and said Rock is sending the message that he's some ambiguous, other race. I'm real clear with what I say.

You can act like he's not sending a message when he's with a white chick in almost every role and he had a whole white daughter in a movie. We can disagree. He has a say so in how he's marketed.

1. In that first movie (Race to Witch Mountain), those aren't his kids and that's not his wife/love interest. You're just posting pictures of the Rock with white people at this point. :lol::lol::lol:

2. Yes, he has a mixed kid in the Game Plan. That girl is the same complexion as his real-life kids. You expect him to have a dark-skinned kid?

3. Kevin Hart is cast as Kevin Hart. He has his own brand. You're trippin

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Dudes also need a crash course in genetics

Back
Top Bottom