ESPN chooses their Top 10 Greatest Shooting Guards of all time

Originally Posted by dotaganza

Kobe>__________________. Iverson shouldn't be that high. Hes bout to get swept by Kobe.
Thanks for bumping this 6 week old topic with your insightful post.

I'll take MJ 63 over the Celtics in 1986 in the playoffs, regardless of the fact that they lost and that it went into double OT, over Kobe's 81 overthe Toronto Raptors anyday.

Dude was in his 3rd year, and he SCORCHED the champs.

Kobe scored 81 on a bunch of scrubs who looked like they didn't even like basketball.

The Kobe vs. Jordan argument is futile IMO. Kobe just doesn't even have close to the credentials yet. Not even close.

EDIT: and before someone comes in here with the "Kobe was the quickest to reach 20,000 points" argument, read the following.

Youngest player to score 20,000 points: (29 years, 122 days old), surpassing Wilt Chamberlain, the previous holder of the record. Bryant alsobecame one of the only three players to reach the milestone under the age of 30. The other two are Chamberlain (29 years, 134 days old) and Michael Jordan (29 years, 326 days old)

Now given that Kobe played from age 18-21 in the NBA, and Michael was in college for 3 years winning national player of the year/national championship, andKobe only beat him by 204 days, I think it's fair to say that's not a safe base for your entire argument, considering there are 365 days in a year andJordan was in college for over 1,000 days.

oh man who bumped this %#+$ back up
laugh.gif

I'll take MJ 63 over the Celtics in 1986 in the playoffs, regardless of the fact that they lost and that it went into double OT, over Kobe's 81 over the Toronto Raptors anyday. s

well no !%%%... who wouldn't
laugh.gif

anyways, isn't it a suspension for bumping an old thread with a useless post? ska?

81 from a Guard is unheard of. The way Kobe scored 81 is also crazy. Wilt did it at a wack era. He wouldn't even score 50 on the Grizzlies in this day and age.
If you are serious about Wilt please remove yourself from this forum
laugh.gif
eyes.gif

It SHOULD be:

1. Jordan
2. West
3. Maravich
4. Kobe

Other than that, I don't care. It's an alright list, although I think Iverson doesn't deserve Top 5. Maybe Top 10, if he's lucky. Who knows,maybe that's just because I'm not a fan of his at all.

dotaganza, while everyone would like to have their opinion heard, that doesn't mean it has to be.

We, like most forums, frown upon bumping up threads where the discussion has run its course, especially when you're adding nothing to the thread.Let me also add that this Sports forum prohibits most forms of Player A vs Player B threads so don't go starting a new one.

I'll leave this thread open for everyone else that wants to add their comments and I'll let it die a normal death, for the second time.

Originally Posted by FYALADY

And I like the dude who posted that All-NBA teams to try to prove a point that Kobe wasn't dominant. He was all-nba almost every year since 01, that should say something. That's not even including the defensive aspect of the game which Kobe is better than both at.

You guys are arguing that Kobe isnt dominant because there are other players in some years that are as good as Kobe offensives. Well, there are two sides to the game, offensive and defensive. What you guys are basically telling me is a player wouldnt be the best one year is he averaged 30ppg over the entire season and someone else averaged 32 ppg over half the season.
lol, you had a point, but kinda failed though.
the list shows that he wasn't dominating because he wasn't the all nba first team every year, even when he made the first team, tmac also was in the group.
also the list is not just for offensive players. it's just overall, overall best players at each position.

Didn't catch this the first time around......but what??? You make NO sense. He has more 1st team appearances than the other two COMBINED but the listshows he wasn't dominating? Please explain...

I can't say that I disagree with Kobe at #2 because I have never seen West play. For me, Jordan is clearly #1, Kobe and Drexler are both good for the #2spot.

No problem with the list, little surprised Kobe is that high. But for what he does on both ends of the floor I guess so.

kobe just jack up a lot of shots and hes that high. I wonder if Sasha Vucijic shoot as much and get that love.

Originally Posted by doyung9

I'll take MJ 63 over the Celtics in 1986 in the playoffs, regardless of the fact that they lost and that it went into double OT, over Kobe's 81 over the Toronto Raptors anyday.

Dude was in his 3rd year, and he SCORCHED the champs.

Kobe scored 81 on a bunch of scrubs who looked like they didn't even like basketball.

The Kobe vs. Jordan argument is futile IMO. Kobe just doesn't even have close to the credentials yet. Not even close.

EDIT: and before someone comes in here with the "Kobe was the quickest to reach 20,000 points" argument, read the following.

Youngest player to score 20,000 points: (29 years, 122 days old), surpassing Wilt Chamberlain, the previous holder of the record. Bryant also became one of the only three players to reach the milestone under the age of 30. The other two are Chamberlain (29 years, 134 days old) and Michael Jordan (29 years, 326 days old)

Now given that Kobe played from age 18-21 in the NBA, and Michael was in college for 3 years winning national player of the year/national championship, and Kobe only beat him by 204 days, I think it's fair to say that's not a safe base for your entire argument, considering there are 365 days in a year and Jordan was in college for over 1,000 days.

Nuff said.

People want to still take West then I'm cool but to say anyone else? Come on thats just disregard for how good of a player Kobe is regardless of whohe's played with.

Plain and simple on skill, talent, and performance Kobe is at least #3 right now. With the arguments stated so far against Kobe it doesn't matter if Kobeends his career with 8 titles in many of your eyes he shouldn't be top 5.

How is that? If it's because he's had good teams fine, then Magic and Bird shouldn't be top 5 nor should Kareem. If it's because he's justnot as good of a player, then Iverson shouldn't sniff top 20 and other guys should be less rated.

What made Jordan the GOAT was because individually he was good and on a good team he won titles. Why isn't Kobe getting that recognition?

Pistol, great but how far he get and how much of a team player was he? Oscar, great individually and on a good team and a ring to back it up, same with Magic,Bird, Kareem, and even Wilt and Jerry.

I don't see how anyone can sit here and tell me someone besides Jordan who is a more skilled basketball player than Kobe in all aspects of the gameindividually. Now as a teammate and leader who grown so that should get consideration of his ranking.

Don't even bring in stats because for his first couple years dude didn't get to play even 30 minutes. Regardless of those two years, an injury year,and a lockout year look at dudes numbers.

The hell?!

WHY ISN'T T-MAC ON THE LIST??

just kidding.

He was on pace to be on the list, then injuries got the better of him.
tired.gif

Another point I would like to make. How much credit does Iverson get for being tough at 6'? I mean it's not like he's the first person in historyto play at a high level being 6' or under. I still think there are other little guys better than him, why because they make their teammates better alongwith playing D which AI roams.

I think when we rank him all time he's overrated. Yea, I said it because this man has no rings to show for it and I don't care what he had in Philly,good players came and gone because he wouldn't change his game for the better of the team.

People harped on Kobe not doing this and now he does and is a little less of an offensive juggernaut he gets no credit?

The Tmac argument needs to be thrown out the window, that man was never as good as Kobe and in 2003 Kobe put that to rest putting the Lakers on his back goingoff for 40+ for 9 straight. Then in '04 what he did to Tmac after he was torching Rick Fox at staples.

As far as dominance, lets take this side of the coin. In Jordans era who really could compete with him that had the athletic tools and game with it? Drexler,Nique (another position), ?????

Kobes era-Tmac, AI, Melo, Lebron, Wade, VC, Ray Allen, Rip, and I could add more. At some point each year people claimed one of these players are betterbecause of their numbers and the runs they go on. But Kobe is always consistant and by the end of the year it's without question Kobe is better than so andso. Evey year it's so and so>Kobe until later in the year and even while they have their 15 minutes Kobe is still doing what Kobe does and then Kobegoes off and passes them up.

It's not about has Kobe been dominate because yeah he has with greater competition at the 2/3 spot.

Another point I would like to make. How much credit does Iverson get for being tough at 6'? I mean it's not like he's the first person in historyto play at a high level being 6' or under. I still think there are other little guys better than him, why because they make their teammates better alongwith playing D which AI roams.

I think when we rank him all time he's overrated. Yea, I said it because this man has no rings to show for it and I don't care what he had in Philly,good players came and gone because he wouldn't change his game for the better of the team.

People harped on Kobe not doing this and now he does and is a little less of an offensive juggernaut he gets no credit?

The Tmac argument needs to be thrown out the window, that man was never as good as Kobe and in 2003 Kobe put that to rest putting the Lakers on his back goingoff for 40+ for 9 straight. Then in '04 what he did to Tmac after he was torching Rick Fox at staples.

As far as dominance, lets take this side of the coin. In Jordans era who really could compete with him that had the athletic tools and game with it? Drexler,Nique (another position), ?????

Kobes era-Tmac, AI, Melo, Lebron, Wade, VC, Ray Allen, Rip, and I could add more. At some point each year people claimed one of these players are betterbecause of their numbers and the runs they go on. But Kobe is always consistant and by the end of the year it's without question Kobe is better than so andso. Evey year it's so and so>Kobe until later in the year and even while they have their 15 minutes Kobe is still doing what Kobe does and then Kobegoes off and passes them up.

It's not about has Kobe been dominate because yeah he has with greater competition at the 2/3 spot.

Im sorry for bumpin this thread. Most threads have a 50 day rule that locks threads in their position so they cant be bumped.

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

81 from a Guard is unheard of. The way Kobe scored 81 is also crazy. Wilt did it at a wack era. He wouldn't even score 50 on the Grizzlies in this day and age.
If you are serious about Wilt please remove yourself from this forum
laugh.gif
eyes.gif

Wilt did it in an era of minimum talent. he had some bums checking him on the real. He wouldn't score 100 in this day and age thats my main point.Maybe 65 on the Grizzlies on a good day.
frown.gif

Reggie is NOT #7

he could not hold @%%+ with guys he is above like the Pearl amongst others not on the list

Back
Top Bottom