ESPN Films: The Fab 5: 3/13 9PM EST/6PM PST ON ESPN HD

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

SV....The whole Webber/Martin thing just doesn't add up. Where is Webber's incentive for NOT paying back the money? 

- now THAT is the only thing Webber could add. that no one knows.

....my guess is that what initially seemed to be a genuine hand out for help to a 19 year old kid, looked more like someone trying to take advantage of him after he got in the L. i mean, doesnt the NBA make the rookies take classes on people taking advantage of them early in their careers?   idk, but thats my guess.

Another thing, why did he take the loan in the first place KNOWING he was coming into millions in a few short months after the tourney? Usually these dudes get an agents advance and in some instances, endorsement money prior to the draft. If I'm not mistaken, Webber was with Nike at the time. I'm not doubting Webber taking some cash, but I wonder how much he really took? His teammates (like Rose) were taking enough here and there to cover the cost of eating a meal, dates, etc....why would Webber be so greedy as to take hundereds of thousands of dollars AFTER his playing days were over. . 

- my speculation? when i asked myself this same question i was thinking maybe when he took the cash after the second season he was still on the fence about declaring. 

*How are Webber/Rose today? They cool? 

- i honestly hope so. you know with the younger celebs of these years i feel like i personally grew up with these people. these dudes were a BIG part of my pre and early teens. so i would HATE to see these dudes at each other over this. similar to my comment about the timeout......i really do feel for them as a group in general.

SV....The whole Webber/Martin thing just doesn't add up. Where is Webber's incentive for NOT paying back the money? 

- now THAT is the only thing Webber could add. that no one knows.

....my guess is that what initially seemed to be a genuine hand out for help to a 19 year old kid, looked more like someone trying to take advantage of him after he got in the L. i mean, doesnt the NBA make the rookies take classes on people taking advantage of them early in their careers?   idk, but thats my guess.

Another thing, why did he take the loan in the first place KNOWING he was coming into millions in a few short months after the tourney? Usually these dudes get an agents advance and in some instances, endorsement money prior to the draft. If I'm not mistaken, Webber was with Nike at the time. I'm not doubting Webber taking some cash, but I wonder how much he really took? His teammates (like Rose) were taking enough here and there to cover the cost of eating a meal, dates, etc....why would Webber be so greedy as to take hundereds of thousands of dollars AFTER his playing days were over. . 

- my speculation? when i asked myself this same question i was thinking maybe when he took the cash after the second season he was still on the fence about declaring. 

*How are Webber/Rose today? They cool? 

- i honestly hope so. you know with the younger celebs of these years i feel like i personally grew up with these people. these dudes were a BIG part of my pre and early teens. so i would HATE to see these dudes at each other over this. similar to my comment about the timeout......i really do feel for them as a group in general.

Originally Posted by Al3xis

I thought the Webber being a Huxtable angle was kind of overblown from reading the book previously. Jimmy King grew up in a well-to-do family/neighborhood but you wouldn't have known it watching last night.

This. I live in Plano (where Jimmy king is from.) this place is far from hood.

Originally Posted by Al3xis

I thought the Webber being a Huxtable angle was kind of overblown from reading the book previously. Jimmy King grew up in a well-to-do family/neighborhood but you wouldn't have known it watching last night.

This. I live in Plano (where Jimmy king is from.) this place is far from hood.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by p charm

i really liked it, but i feel that ed martin was obviously just another corrupt booster, yea I'm sure he helped a lot of non prospect players out too but come on Jalen actin like he was just a nice guy who liked to by kids shoes, and no college players should not be paid, as if full rides aren't enough.

What is so hard to believe about it? There are dudes in my neighborhood TODAY that look out for kids that have nothing. Buy them this, buy them that. So what is making you think Jalen is lying?

As a supplement to this documentary, I suggest everyone listen to Jalen Rose's interview on Bill Simmons BS Report. Good stuff. - http://c.espnradio.com/au...ns_2011-03-09-154711.mp3

I never said Jalen is lying, maybe he really thought martin was doing it purely out of heart, but in my personal opinion, almost every act of charity is an act of selfishness, you can't possibly tell me that someone who is giving money to the top college/highschool prospects in the country isn't eventually hoping for something in return. Do I think Webber overly accused him and threw him under the bus to save his own tail? Yes. But do I think Martin was somewhat using these kids? Yes. That is just my opinion from what I saw in the doc and other things I've read about Ed Martin.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by p charm

i really liked it, but i feel that ed martin was obviously just another corrupt booster, yea I'm sure he helped a lot of non prospect players out too but come on Jalen actin like he was just a nice guy who liked to by kids shoes, and no college players should not be paid, as if full rides aren't enough.

What is so hard to believe about it? There are dudes in my neighborhood TODAY that look out for kids that have nothing. Buy them this, buy them that. So what is making you think Jalen is lying?

As a supplement to this documentary, I suggest everyone listen to Jalen Rose's interview on Bill Simmons BS Report. Good stuff. - http://c.espnradio.com/au...ns_2011-03-09-154711.mp3

I never said Jalen is lying, maybe he really thought martin was doing it purely out of heart, but in my personal opinion, almost every act of charity is an act of selfishness, you can't possibly tell me that someone who is giving money to the top college/highschool prospects in the country isn't eventually hoping for something in return. Do I think Webber overly accused him and threw him under the bus to save his own tail? Yes. But do I think Martin was somewhat using these kids? Yes. That is just my opinion from what I saw in the doc and other things I've read about Ed Martin.

*EDIT*

- i just peepd Chris Webber's blog and he advertises the Fab 5 documentary. so he must have been cool with how it came out...........right? i mean he had to have seen it beforehand.

[h3]
[/h3]

*EDIT*

- i just peepd Chris Webber's blog and he advertises the Fab 5 documentary. so he must have been cool with how it came out...........right? i mean he had to have seen it beforehand.

[h3]
[/h3]

I dunno about this painting CWebb as the bad guy angle...i mean then guy Martin was a criminal involved in a bunch of shady stuff...I wont sit hear and just say Chris was lookin out for himself with those statements he made and Jalen was right

far as the TO goes....props to espn on that i didnt know about all that other stuff on the back end....kinda eases up the weight a lil if u ask me

I dunno about this painting CWebb as the bad guy angle...i mean then guy Martin was a criminal involved in a bunch of shady stuff...I wont sit hear and just say Chris was lookin out for himself with those statements he made and Jalen was right

far as the TO goes....props to espn on that i didnt know about all that other stuff on the back end....kinda eases up the weight a lil if u ask me

Originally Posted by DMan14

Originally Posted by Deuce King

I doubt Webber ever tells his side of the story............why would he and what incentive would he have to do so.   Something that struck me during the documentary was how they said Webber grew up in a decent neighborhood and how the assistant coach said that Webber "tried" to prove that he can be a setting with kids from a poor neighborhood or something to that effect but didn't think he was quite comfortable.  Also, the way Rose made it abundantly clear that they had no more timeouts after the last one was called.......pretty much throwing a shot at Webber.

as far as the timeout incident, it was a lot of confusion going on. im pretty sure some players thought they had a timeout left. chris travelled and panicked and dribbled himself into trouble, his natural reaction was to call a timeout. most people have gotten over that, but not chris, obviously, since he has NEVER talked about it. what i want from chris is his involvement with ed martin.

Plus there were CLEAR signs of the Michigan sidelines telling him to call timeout. One thing is for sure, not everyone was on the same page.

I doubt Webber ever tells his side of the story............why would he and what incentive would he have to do so.   Something that struck me during the documentary was how they said Webber grew up in a decent neighborhood and how the assistant coach said that Webber "tried" to prove that he can be a setting with kids from a poor neighborhood or something to that effect but didn't think he was quite comfortable.  Also, the way Rose made it abundantly clear that they had no more timeouts after the last one was called.......pretty much throwing a shot at Webber.

as far as the timeout incident, it was a lot of confusion going on. im pretty sure some players thought they had a timeout left. chris travelled and panicked and dribbled himself into trouble, his natural reaction was to call a timeout. most people have gotten over that, but not chris, obviously, since he has NEVER talked about it. what i want from chris is his involvement with ed martin.

Plus there were CLEAR signs of the Michigan sidelines telling him to call timeout. One thing is for sure, not everyone was on the same page.

2vn0t4x.png

Originally Posted by AG 47

Indeed.  It would have been nice had they interviewed the player that was clapping for joy on the Michigan bench when Webber called the TO.

Originally Posted by AG 47

Indeed.  It would have been nice had they interviewed the player that was clapping for joy on the Michigan bench when Webber called the TO.

I thought Webb couldn't do this doc because of the sanction against him till 2013? Idk

I thought Webb couldn't do this doc because of the sanction against him till 2013? Idk

That was Mike T. Chris kept screaming at Mike T, "why did you tell me to call a T? Why!!!"

Jalen wanted Mike T to be in the documentary but no one could find him or get a hold of him. Pretty much after the 93 final he disappeared. Same w/ Chris. Jalen wanted him in the documentary but he wouldn't do it. Couple times he got close but in the end always said no.

Crazy that C was getting 280k over two years and in Albom's book he famously documents the time when Chris couldn't order a second fish sandwich because he didn't have any money.

Jalen will FOREVER be my favorite college basketball player of all time. A story about Jalen. After the end of the Carolina game Fisher still had to go up and take the 'second' place trophy and by that time everyone from Michigan had completely left the building and headed back to the locker room. There was only one person who stayed in the tunnel and waited for Fisher. It was Jalen.

Great documentary.
pimp.gif
When this comes out on DVD it will be a MUST PURCHASE.

That was Mike T. Chris kept screaming at Mike T, "why did you tell me to call a T? Why!!!"

Jalen wanted Mike T to be in the documentary but no one could find him or get a hold of him. Pretty much after the 93 final he disappeared. Same w/ Chris. Jalen wanted him in the documentary but he wouldn't do it. Couple times he got close but in the end always said no.

Crazy that C was getting 280k over two years and in Albom's book he famously documents the time when Chris couldn't order a second fish sandwich because he didn't have any money.

Jalen will FOREVER be my favorite college basketball player of all time. A story about Jalen. After the end of the Carolina game Fisher still had to go up and take the 'second' place trophy and by that time everyone from Michigan had completely left the building and headed back to the locker room. There was only one person who stayed in the tunnel and waited for Fisher. It was Jalen.

Great documentary.
pimp.gif
When this comes out on DVD it will be a MUST PURCHASE.

Mitch Album has had credibility issues in the past, so I would take what he says/writes with a grain of salt...
http://espn.go.com/page2/s/whitlock/020919.html (I know it's Jason Whitlock, but he claims to have witnessed the Fab 5 while as a local Mich writer and how they rolled)

http://kvjohnson.com/jrn/exams/final/albom/albom.html

If Ed Martin wasn't a Michigan booster, then it's one hell of a coincidence that all of the inner city kids he "showed love" to ended up at U of M.

From what I was remember about it, outside of this documentary, Webber started receiving monetary gifts from Martin back when he was a freshman at Country Day...1988. C Webb's dad was a deacon at the church and allegedly Martin made large financial donations there from time to time. I'm sure Webb also got cash, gifts, probably expenses/apartments paid for while at U of M...300K isn't an unimaginable figure when you really think about it, 60K per year without a lot of material items to show for is definitely possible. 

And as far as the infamous timeout, well I really doubt that Fisher had enough control of his bench (or that team for that matter) so that everyone knew the play, time out situation, etc before they let out of the huddle. 
ohwell.gif

Mitch Album has had credibility issues in the past, so I would take what he says/writes with a grain of salt...
http://espn.go.com/page2/s/whitlock/020919.html (I know it's Jason Whitlock, but he claims to have witnessed the Fab 5 while as a local Mich writer and how they rolled)

http://kvjohnson.com/jrn/exams/final/albom/albom.html

If Ed Martin wasn't a Michigan booster, then it's one hell of a coincidence that all of the inner city kids he "showed love" to ended up at U of M.

From what I was remember about it, outside of this documentary, Webber started receiving monetary gifts from Martin back when he was a freshman at Country Day...1988. C Webb's dad was a deacon at the church and allegedly Martin made large financial donations there from time to time. I'm sure Webb also got cash, gifts, probably expenses/apartments paid for while at U of M...300K isn't an unimaginable figure when you really think about it, 60K per year without a lot of material items to show for is definitely possible. 

And as far as the infamous timeout, well I really doubt that Fisher had enough control of his bench (or that team for that matter) so that everyone knew the play, time out situation, etc before they let out of the huddle. 
ohwell.gif

Back
Top Bottom