ESPN Films: The Fab 5: 3/13 9PM EST/6PM PST ON ESPN HD

Originally Posted by SHUGES

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

*The way espn set up Webber's long walk down the Superdome tunnel was brilliant. I got goosebumps watching it. I kept waiting for the footage to end...but it kept going and going. I really felt bad for Webber in seeing him make that long walk...great job, ESPN.
Agreed. That part had me on the edge of my seat. I thought Chris was gonna lash out or shove the camera man or something.
Indeed.  When he was walking down the tunnel the second time around I kept thinking back to his reaction after they lost the previous year and how he didn't want the cameras in his face and how he was crying.  I thought he was about to go berserk this time walking back to the locker room.

*The way espn set up Webber's long walk down the Superdome tunnel was brilliant. I got goosebumps watching it. I kept waiting for the footage to end...but it kept going and going. I really felt bad for Webber in seeing him make that long walk...great job, ESPN.
Agreed. That part had me on the edge of my seat. I thought Chris was gonna lash out or shove the camera man or something.
Indeed.  When he was walking down the tunnel the second time around I kept thinking back to his reaction after they lost the previous year and how he didn't want the cameras in his face and how he was crying.  I thought he was about to go berserk this time walking back to the locker room.

Originally Posted by Deuce King

I thought that the fact that he didn't even react, or maybe "couldn't even react, showed you just how painful that was to him.  That one minute of TV was EPIC though.  I can't even imagine the million things runnin thru his brain at that moment. 

Originally Posted by Deuce King

I thought that the fact that he didn't even react, or maybe "couldn't even react, showed you just how painful that was to him.  That one minute of TV was EPIC though.  I can't even imagine the million things runnin thru his brain at that moment. 

Elise Neal
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by cquan05

Why can't I embed videos? I've got "use old embed code" checked......
I had trouble before too.  Make sure that on your reply, that the HTML-view is clicked in your toolbar above.  Then you can paste the "old-embed" code, preview, then post.

Originally Posted by cquan05

Why can't I embed videos? I've got "use old embed code" checked......
I had trouble before too.  Make sure that on your reply, that the HTML-view is clicked in your toolbar above.  Then you can paste the "old-embed" code, preview, then post.

i think it's stupid for the fab five to think they should've gotten paid or some of the money the school made on sales. they're forgetting that they are getting a free ride and dont have to pay any tuition at all..

sounds like ray jackson was pissed, that webber called the time out that led to their loss, thus ending the fab five and jackson not getting a shot to go to the nba draft.. along with the rest... since they were planning on going all 5 at the same time

i think it's stupid for the fab five to think they should've gotten paid or some of the money the school made on sales. they're forgetting that they are getting a free ride and dont have to pay any tuition at all..

sounds like ray jackson was pissed, that webber called the time out that led to their loss, thus ending the fab five and jackson not getting a shot to go to the nba draft.. along with the rest... since they were planning on going all 5 at the same time

I thought this was a great, thought-provoking documentary.  Some of my thoughts are...

Those dudes were brutally honest about basically everything EXCEPT their feelings about Chris Webber.

The doc brought back a lot of memories of those NCAA tournaments.  The Fab Five were the +%#! at that time for young, urban America, especially young Black men.  I remember how exciting those Michigan teams were and how much I hated Duke...

I was surprised that there was no mention of Coach Thompson's Hoyas or the UNLV Runnin' Rebels as the predecessors of the Fab Five in terms of socioeconomic and racial makeup, style, backlash from White America, attitude, etc.  It just came across like they were taking full credit for those elements which had already had precedence on a national level with those teams being even more successful than the Fab Five.

Right or wrong, Jalen and the other guys' comments about Duke, its team, and its players were (and to a certain degree remain) a very accurate reflection of the sentiments among low-income urban Black folks.  I think what's not being discussed is and is the the underlying cause of these sentiments is the feeling among many low-income Blacks that affluent and upwardly-mobile Black people don't care about poor Black folks.  How Duke plays into this equation is guys like Jalen feel like Black guys who go to Duke are representing an institution which wouldn't want them if they weren't middle-class or upper-class and clearly don't want their low-income, urban counterparts because (the thinking goes) they're not "good enough" or "wealthy enough" or "white enough" for Duke.  Thus, for a Black player to go to Duke seemingly reinforces the notion that the Black people who are deemed "good/wealthy/white enough" to attend an institution like Duke don't care about their poor brothers and sisters who are (seemingly) categorically denied the opportunity.

I thought this was a great, thought-provoking documentary.  Some of my thoughts are...

Those dudes were brutally honest about basically everything EXCEPT their feelings about Chris Webber.

The doc brought back a lot of memories of those NCAA tournaments.  The Fab Five were the +%#! at that time for young, urban America, especially young Black men.  I remember how exciting those Michigan teams were and how much I hated Duke...

I was surprised that there was no mention of Coach Thompson's Hoyas or the UNLV Runnin' Rebels as the predecessors of the Fab Five in terms of socioeconomic and racial makeup, style, backlash from White America, attitude, etc.  It just came across like they were taking full credit for those elements which had already had precedence on a national level with those teams being even more successful than the Fab Five.

Right or wrong, Jalen and the other guys' comments about Duke, its team, and its players were (and to a certain degree remain) a very accurate reflection of the sentiments among low-income urban Black folks.  I think what's not being discussed is and is the the underlying cause of these sentiments is the feeling among many low-income Blacks that affluent and upwardly-mobile Black people don't care about poor Black folks.  How Duke plays into this equation is guys like Jalen feel like Black guys who go to Duke are representing an institution which wouldn't want them if they weren't middle-class or upper-class and clearly don't want their low-income, urban counterparts because (the thinking goes) they're not "good enough" or "wealthy enough" or "white enough" for Duke.  Thus, for a Black player to go to Duke seemingly reinforces the notion that the Black people who are deemed "good/wealthy/white enough" to attend an institution like Duke don't care about their poor brothers and sisters who are (seemingly) categorically denied the opportunity.

I got to meet Shane Battier last night at a grizzlies event, and I asked him what his opinion was on the comments made by Jalen Rose. He said that he could understand those comments coming from an 18 or 19 year old kid at the time, but that coming from adults who had gotten to know many of the players in the league that it was kind of upsetting. He also said that it is a little concerning that none of them backed down from their statements or made any kind of apologies.

Also talked with him about my hatred for duke growing up a UNC and UMD fan, but me always respected his game. Dude said that while he was at Duke, he felt like UMD was the real rivalry at that time which made me
happy.gif
, no +$+%.  

Back
Top Bottom