ESPN Films: The Fab 5: 3/13 9PM EST/6PM PST ON ESPN HD

I got to meet Shane Battier last night at a grizzlies event, and I asked him what his opinion was on the comments made by Jalen Rose. He said that he could understand those comments coming from an 18 or 19 year old kid at the time, but that coming from adults who had gotten to know many of the players in the league that it was kind of upsetting. He also said that it is a little concerning that none of them backed down from their statements or made any kind of apologies.

Also talked with him about my hatred for duke growing up a UNC and UMD fan, but me always respected his game. Dude said that while he was at Duke, he felt like UMD was the real rivalry at that time which made me
happy.gif
, no +$+%.  

^ShanE Battier is pretty much just an amazing human being
laugh.gif
Not a bad bone in his body

^ShanE Battier is pretty much just an amazing human being
laugh.gif
Not a bad bone in his body

^Dude even with my hatred for Duke at that time and throughout my life, I have to admit he was really cool. He was sipping wine with swag

^Dude even with my hatred for Duke at that time and throughout my life, I have to admit he was really cool. He was sipping wine with swag

I remember when he was at Duke, I was on some Fab 5 type snaz and was trying to hate on him so bad..... But in the end he's just a really good guy with a great heart. Nothing bad about him IMO.

I remember when he was at Duke, I was on some Fab 5 type snaz and was trying to hate on him so bad..... But in the end he's just a really good guy with a great heart. Nothing bad about him IMO.

i like this but i was kinda disappointed at the racial related parts of it, i felt that this film did NOT need to have anything about race in it

i like this but i was kinda disappointed at the racial related parts of it, i felt that this film did NOT need to have anything about race in it

Originally Posted by IMASOLEMAN18

I felt it added to the film and was quite necessary.
From a basketball standpoint, I admittedly have hated duke since I was old enough to grasp basketball, but i'd be lying to myself if Laettner and Hill aren't two of the greatest beings to ever touch a college ball court.

I felt it added to the film and was quite necessary.
From a basketball standpoint, I admittedly have hated duke since I was old enough to grasp basketball, but i'd be lying to myself if Laettner and Hill aren't two of the greatest beings to ever touch a college ball court.

I don't see why not champ.  America was taken back by 5 young black males that were "taking over" college basketball and having success.  Not only did they have the hood/inner city kids cheering for them but they had young white kids asking for autographs and trying to emulate them, and some folks simply weren't ready for that.  On top of all that, the Fab 5 was must see TV and most likely were defeating some peoples favorite college basketball team at the time.  Much like the notoriety that The University of Miami Hurricane football team had during their glory years and all the grief and hardship they received for being successful black athletes, is the same backlash the Fab 5 got.  It's not wonder that there was an element of racial prejudice for both teams, that not many folks wanted to talk about back then. So it's only fitting that it be discussed now even years later down the road.

I don't see why not champ.  America was taken back by 5 young black males that were "taking over" college basketball and having success.  Not only did they have the hood/inner city kids cheering for them but they had young white kids asking for autographs and trying to emulate them, and some folks simply weren't ready for that.  On top of all that, the Fab 5 was must see TV and most likely were defeating some peoples favorite college basketball team at the time.  Much like the notoriety that The University of Miami Hurricane football team had during their glory years and all the grief and hardship they received for being successful black athletes, is the same backlash the Fab 5 got.  It's not wonder that there was an element of racial prejudice for both teams, that not many folks wanted to talk about back then. So it's only fitting that it be discussed now even years later down the road.

Originally Posted by rocman23

I hope you're not black because that would be against the rules for an Uncle Tom to be a good guy or really cool. 

An Uncle Tom with "swag"?  Where do they do that at, sir?

Originally Posted by rocman23

I hope you're not black because that would be against the rules for an Uncle Tom to be a good guy or really cool. 

An Uncle Tom with "swag"?  Where do they do that at, sir?

Just gotta chance to watch it on DVR and this was great work. These dudes really changed baskettball not just college. I knew alot about the stuff they went through and stuff that happend but this gave alot more details.

Im not surprised C-Webb wasnt apart of it.  

You cant sugarcoat this.

Just gotta chance to watch it on DVR and this was great work. These dudes really changed baskettball not just college. I knew alot about the stuff they went through and stuff that happend but this gave alot more details.

Im not surprised C-Webb wasnt apart of it.  

You cant sugarcoat this.

Not sure if this has been asked but lets say the fab five wouldve won a national championship one of those two years, would it have been taken away because of the booster scandal? I mean since they got their final four banners taken down. Are they ever gonna be put back up?

Not sure if this has been asked but lets say the fab five wouldve won a national championship one of those two years, would it have been taken away because of the booster scandal? I mean since they got their final four banners taken down. Are they ever gonna be put back up?

watching again on espn 2 right now
and hearing them say "i thought laettner was a %#%*%, i thought grant hill wass a %#%*%" makes me
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

watching again on espn 2 right now
and hearing them say "i thought laettner was a %#%*%, i thought grant hill wass a %#%*%" makes me
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Watching now. Man, bringing back so many good memories. Remember seeing every one of these highlights.

Watching now. Man, bringing back so many good memories. Remember seeing every one of these highlights.

Back
Top Bottom