ESPN really wants a TO meltdown..

Ima leave yall with something I found then im out. see yall on game day.

I thought some of you might be interested to hear the truth regarding the alleged "T.O. controversy."

Those who I talked to close to the situation are in absolute shock right now over the direction ESPN has taken the past few days. What you are seeing now is acarefully conceived ploy being executed to boost ratings for the 2009 fiscal year, which is vital as the network hopes to build new advertising revenue.

While it would be easy to blame the reporters for this yellow journalism, they're only the tip of the iceberg. The reality is that ESPN executes havemelted down and gone into panic mode regarding the current state of their network.

For those of you worried about the state of the Dallas Cowboys football team, perhaps you should take whatever you're envisioning now (which isn't atall accurate), quintouple it, and that's what ESPN meetings are like right now.

The ploy, as I was told, was designed to create a self-fulfilling prophecy in Dallas as a result of paranoia amongst players (chiefly Terrell Owens, Tony Romo,and Jason Witten). Those who hatched the plan believed that the faux-quotes would be enough to cast a sense of doubt over members of the Cowboys locker room,resulting in tension and, eventually, an actual blowup that would justify ESPN's outrageous coverage based on unnamed sources.

But it didn't work. Much to the chagrin of the powers that be at ESPN, the Cowboys players put their heads together and quickly figured out exactly whatwas going on. Ed Werder himself was actually present at the team meeting and was the one who reported to the higher ups that there was something impeding theplan.

The constant changes to the very article Werder reported are ESPN's attempts to adjust to Dallas having caught on.

My sources have each responded to the numerous things that have been stated by ESPN and other members through ESPN sourcing pertaining to the matter:

It was reported that Owens, Romo, and Witten have a strained relationship. While the details of their relationship are not factually known, there has been noteam source to report any such strain. What in fact transpired was the following: A behind-the-scenes writer noted via text message that he noticed numerousplays in which Owens failed to block for Witten after he caught the ball against the Pittsburgh Steelers. The person on the other end of the conversationpitched the Owens/Witten angle to a story editor later that afternoon and it found its way to the higherups. The rest is history.

It was reported that Owens and Witten had a war of words today and got into a scuffle. This is untrue. This report is complete fiction in a desperation attemptto cause further distractions to the Cowboys. As you can imagine, the Cowboys, already having a firm grasp of what took place before, understood fully theintentions of this report.

It was reported that Owens, Patrick Crayton, and Roy Williams asked for a meeting with offensive coordiator Jason Garret. This is, in fact, true. However, whatmay be of interest to some of you is that the three receivers have spoken privately with Garrett several times this season.

Many people are wondering how Bradie James had his quote included with all of the quotes from unnamed sources. James was asked to explain how importantcommunication is for a team leader. While answering the question, a reporter (not Ed Werder) asked if Tony Romo and Terrell Owens do a lot of communicating, towhich James responded with his quote.

James never stated that he "played peacemaker" between Romo and Owens, but rather than he stayed out of their way and let them has things out whenthey disagreed on something (the context of these comments pertained to on the field disagreements).

So I hope that helps clear some things up for everyone. I know it's been a crazy week for Cowboys fans, but the reality is that this crazyness is smoke andmirrors; and it's sure to blow up in ESPN's face.

Originally Posted by NyRapisBack

I thought some of you might be interested to hear the truth regarding the alleged "T.O. controversy."

Those who I talked to close to the situation are in absolute shock right now over the direction ESPN has taken the past few days. What you are seeing now is a carefully conceived ploy being executed to boost ratings for the 2009 fiscal year, which is vital as the network hopes to build new advertising revenue.

While it would be easy to blame the reporters for this yellow journalism, they're only the tip of the iceberg. The reality is that ESPN executes have melted down and gone into panic mode regarding the current state of their network.

For those of you worried about the state of the Dallas Cowboys football team, perhaps you should take whatever you're envisioning now (which isn't at all accurate), quintouple it, and that's what ESPN meetings are like right now.

The ploy, as I was told, was designed to create a self-fulfilling prophecy in Dallas as a result of paranoia amongst players (chiefly Terrell Owens, Tony Romo, and Jason Witten). Those who hatched the plan believed that the faux-quotes would be enough to cast a sense of doubt over members of the Cowboys locker room, resulting in tension and, eventually, an actual blowup that would justify ESPN's outrageous coverage based on unnamed sources.

But it didn't work. Much to the chagrin of the powers that be at ESPN, the Cowboys players put their heads together and quickly figured out exactly what was going on. Ed Werder himself was actually present at the team meeting and was the one who reported to the higher ups that there was something impeding the plan.

The constant changes to the very article Werder reported are ESPN's attempts to adjust to Dallas having caught on.

My sources have each responded to the numerous things that have been stated by ESPN and other members through ESPN sourcing pertaining to the matter:

It was reported that Owens, Romo, and Witten have a strained relationship. While the details of their relationship are not factually known, there has been no team source to report any such strain. What in fact transpired was the following: A behind-the-scenes writer noted via text message that he noticed numerous plays in which Owens failed to block for Witten after he caught the ball against the Pittsburgh Steelers. The person on the other end of the conversation pitched the Owens/Witten angle to a story editor later that afternoon and it found its way to the higherups. The rest is history.

It was reported that Owens and Witten had a war of words today and got into a scuffle. This is untrue. This report is complete fiction in a desperation attempt to cause further distractions to the Cowboys. As you can imagine, the Cowboys, already having a firm grasp of what took place before, understood fully the intentions of this report.

It was reported that Owens, Patrick Crayton, and Roy Williams asked for a meeting with offensive coordiator Jason Garret. This is, in fact, true. However, what may be of interest to some of you is that the three receivers have spoken privately with Garrett several times this season.

Many people are wondering how Bradie James had his quote included with all of the quotes from unnamed sources. James was asked to explain how important communication is for a team leader. While answering the question, a reporter (not Ed Werder) asked if Tony Romo and Terrell Owens do a lot of communicating, to which James responded with his quote.

James never stated that he "played peacemaker" between Romo and Owens, but rather than he stayed out of their way and let them has things out when they disagreed on something (the context of these comments pertained to on the field disagreements).

So I hope that helps clear some things up for everyone. I know it's been a crazy week for Cowboys fans, but the reality is that this crazyness is smoke and mirrors; and it's sure to blow up in ESPN's face.
If this is true then I feel bad for them and mainly TO. Dude can't escape that bullseye
laugh.gif

But if this is true then I guess things like the NWO can be as well huh?
tired.gif

Those who I talked to close to the situation are in absolute shock right now over the direction ESPN has taken the past few days. What you are seeing now is a carefully conceived ploy being executed to boost ratings for the 2009 fiscal year, which is vital as the network hopes to build new advertising revenue.

While it would be easy to blame the reporters for this yellow journalism, they're only the tip of the iceberg. The reality is that ESPN executes have melted down and gone into panic mode regarding the current state of their network.

For those of you worried about the state of the Dallas Cowboys football team, perhaps you should take whatever you're envisioning now (which isn't at all accurate), quintouple it, and that's what ESPN meetings are like right now.
Im sorry, but I am employed by ESPN and our company isnt hurting like that. I dont believe alot of thatb.s.

It was reported that Owens and Witten had a war of words today and got into a scuffle. This is untrue. This report is complete fiction in a desperation attempt to cause further distractions to the Cowboys. As you can imagine, the Cowboys, already having a firm grasp of what took place before, understood fully the intentions of this report.
Im pretty sure the "war of words" has been confirmed with someone within the Cowboys

http://cowboysblog.dallas...tten-dont-talk-to-me.html

It was reported that Owens, Patrick Crayton, and Roy Williams asked for a meeting with offensive coordiator Jason Garret. This is, in fact, true. However, what may be of interest to some of you is that the three receivers have spoken privately with Garrett several times this season.

Correct, but all those other meetings werent leaked to the media. One of the players told a media member about what went onwith this particular meeting.

The ploy, as I was told, was designed to create a self-fulfilling prophecy in Dallas as a result of paranoia amongst players (chiefly Terrell Owens, Tony Romo, and Jason Witten). Those who hatched the plan believed that the faux-quotes would be enough to cast a sense of doubt over members of the Cowboys locker room, resulting in tension and, eventually, an actual blowup that would justify ESPN's outrageous coverage based on unnamed sources.

But it didn't work. Much to the chagrin of the powers that be at ESPN, the Cowboys players put their heads together and quickly figured out exactly what was going on. Ed Werder himself was actually present at the team meeting and was the one who reported to the higher ups that there was something impeding the plan.

It was reported that Owens, Romo, and Witten have a strained relationship. While the details of their relationship are not factually known, there has been no team source to report any such strain. What in fact transpired was the following: A behind-the-scenes writer noted via text message that he noticed numerous plays in which Owens failed to block for Witten after he caught the ball against the Pittsburgh Steelers. The person on the other end of the conversation pitched the Owens/Witten angle to a story editor later that afternoon and it found its way to the higherups. The rest is history.

Many people are wondering how Bradie James had his quote included with all of the quotes from unnamed sources. James was asked to explain how important communication is for a team leader. While answering the question, a reporter (not Ed Werder) asked if Tony Romo and Terrell Owens do a lot of communicating, to which James responded with his quote.

James never stated that he "played peacemaker" between Romo and Owens, but rather than he stayed out of their way and let them has things out when they disagreed on something (the context of these comments pertained to on the field disagreements).

So I hope that helps clear some things up for everyone. I know it's been a crazy week for Cowboys fans, but the reality is that this crazyness is smoke and mirrors; and it's sure to blow up in ESPN's face.
As much as I would love to believe this entire article, I'm starting to think TO is really starting to cause problems.

This article states that the argument between TO and Witten was fabricated, but it was reported by a local newspaper, not ESPN. If a local newspaper isreporting it, I would think it holds more weight than an unnamed source from Werder.

The proof is in the pudding. If all of this drama has been completely blown out of proportion, the Cowboys should come out and play a great game. But if anyof this is true, look for us to get blown out, and then *$+% will really hit the fan.

I'm starting to think TO fooled the entire organization. He behaved until he got his money, and now his true colors are coming out. But I'm notwriting him off completely, because I still believe we are getting alot of BS news.

We'll find out tomorrow.

i believe there are problems in Dallas but not to the magnitude that ESPN is making it. I dont believe the whole Witten and Owens fiasco on friday.

I can't see Mortensen (not werder) making up the scuffle and putting his credibility on the line

Originally Posted by allen3xis

I can't see Mortensen (not werder) making up the scuffle and putting his credibility on the line
Both of them wouldnt risk their credibility. They didnt become senior level reporters and writers by making up false stories. They have some ofthe best NFL contacts of anyone.

Exactly. I think if anything, the argument between TO/Witten is the most truthful headline of the week.

Could it be blown out of proportion? Of course. But I definitely don't think it's complete BS.

I don't really pay attention to T.O. coverage on ESPN

but I tell you one thing

ESPN's biased coverage of sports in general gets on my nerves.

They spend a lot more time making soap operas out of everything than they do covering the sports themselves.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

Werder has been irrelevant on anything Cowboys related for a while, IMO... It's exactly like the way Pedro Gomez got when he was reporting onBonds every day... It's not necessarily his fault, but it just got to the point where every time he opened his mouth, you wanted to hit the mute button.It's the same thing every week, regardless of what's going on... "Oh, T.O. is upset with Wade Phillips and Jason Garrett." "Oh, theCowboys lost, T.O. yelled at Jason Witten." "Oh... Wait... They won this week?! I uh... Nothing new at Valley Ranch."
eyes.gif
Get lost.

But I'll buy into something if Mortensen is signing off on it...

Mort reporting Witten tried to talk to T.O. about everything, and Owens "told Witten to leave him alone and called him a name."
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
How utterly ridiculous is this? I don't entirely blame T.O.because frankly, he's not making anything up or yapping about anything that isn't obviously going on... But telling Witten to leave you alone andcalling him names?
grin.gif

if either Witten or Owens score tomorrow (hopefully both, multiple times) they should start play slapboxin in the endzone...id take a 15 yard penalty 4 that.

This is so hard to believe considering the tight ship that Wade Phillips runs, the high level of maturity that Tony Romo was allowed to develop by spendingseveral years playing for Bill Parcells, and of course the crystal clear past of Terrell Owens and his sacrificing for the team...oh...wait a second...

I haven't read a single page of this thread and I can tell you all you need to know in a couple short lines...

TO = a cancer who causes problems
ESPN = hot garbage who HYPE up certain things to the max for ratings

The End.

Dallas Cowboys: Ed Werder a Weasel?

Before you read this, I would like to make one thing abundantly clear. This was not written in an effort to defend Terrell Owens or the situation that the Dallas Cowboys are currently in.

I cannot do so, because I do not know what was said in the Dallas Cowboys' wide receiver meeting with Jason Garrett. I do not know if Owens does, in fact, have a conspiracy theory that Jason Witten and Tony Romo have secret meeting sessions to devise ways to keep the ball out of his hands. I do not know whether Romo has Owens in his T-Mobile Fave Five or vice versa.

If there is one thing I do know, however, it is this: ESPN's Ed Werder is a perfect example of what is wrong with sports journalism today. He breaks one of, if not the most important, rules in professional writing, one that I learned in my one and only journalism class at Baylor University.

Werder does not want to report the news. He wants to be the news. Furthermore, Werder has helped to show the hypocrisy of ESPN.

The sporting "news" source refused to break the Favre-Lions story earlier this year due to not wanting to use unnamed sources. And yet they were the first to break a story about "an emerging internal conflict involving three of the team's highest-profile stars."

Says who? Unnamed sources, of course.

In fact, the "source" that revealed the most incriminating part of the story, Owens' conspiracy theory, was defined as a "source who speaks regularly with Owens' teammates." This person was not even directly quoted.
What exactly is a "source who speaks regularly with Owens' teammates?" It is obviously not a player or coach, or Werder would have said "player" or "coach." Are they even part of the Cowboys' organization? Surely, if they were, they would be defined as a "Cowboys insider," wouldn't they?

Were they a player's friend, agent, or therapist? Could they have been a local pastor, a janitor, or maybe a Starbucks employee? By the provided definition, this "source" could have just been another ESPN writer. After all, ESPN employees speak regularly with Owens' teammates, do they not?

Whoever it was, it no longer matters. The story was reported, and the Cowboys have tried to move on. The Cowboys held a team meeting today in which several players, along with coach Phillips, stood up and addressed the team. The Cowboys have bigger fish to fry and cannot let a little drama in the "Big D" affect their preparation.

It is time to move on, is it not? Not for Ed Werder, it isn't.

During his media session Friday, an exasperated Terence Newman was tired of answering questions about Thursday's "big story." He was ready to focus on the Giants. Repeatedly, he responded to reporters questions about this week's drama with "Next question" and "Any Giants questions?"

Ed Werder apparently did not understand the request. He asked the last two questions of the session. The following is how it went down:

Werder: Do you regret anything you said (Friday) morning on ESPN?

Newman: (Pause) Any Giants questions?

Werder: Do you think the drama of everything that has happened the last couple of days will effect you guys mentally..."

(Newman stands up to end the interview, throws on his backpack and then looks directly at Werder)

Newman: Yup (in exasperation), I wonder how many time I was asked that question.

Werder: (With a smirk) What question?

Werder clearly has an agenda that reaches beyond "reporting the news" here in Dallas. He wants to be the story. He wants to stir up drama of his own and gain his network some ratings, and he is doing a good job. His "story" has swept the nation!

However, I find his lack of professionalism and sloppy journalism to be an embarrassment to the industry he is a part of.

With all the wonderful writers I have seen on Bleacher Report alone, I find it hard to believe that ESPN cannot do better than Ed Werder, and you can quote me on that.

Article By: Robert Allred

I haven't commented on this because I vowed to not speak on the Cowboys until week 17. But I do have a non-Cowboys question.

Say it were discovered that Werder and ESPN concocted this master plan to create trouble in the Cowboys locker room. Wouldn't that be grounds for removalof press credentials from all ESPN reporters/employees trying to gain access to Texas Stadium? Do you really think they would go that far? I refuse to believeESPN is hurting that bad. They are the only damn sports highlight show on the planet, and have crushed every competitor that has come along over the years.

Nah whats really going on at ESPN is that they are starting to feel the crunch of having every major sport on its network.

They have MNF,NBA on Wed and Fri, Baseball all week, BCS etc. they are feeling the crunch like the rest of us.

Im through with them. If the Boys lose big it will be because of ESPN, and thats oversteping boundries.

Originally Posted by OWL TROUTWIG

If the Boys lose big it will be because of ESPN
grin.gif

lol, that's a new one.
roll.gif

I'm going to petition the NFL/ESPN to give us last week's Philly game back, because ESPN was clearly to blame... constantly reporting on Plax'sabsence, interviewing the players and asking how they would respond (the gall!) and so on. I only hope the poor Patriots don't petition to get XLII back,because of ESPN putting pressure on them to go 19-0.
frown.gif

Say it were discovered that Werder and ESPN concocted this master plan to create trouble in the Cowboys locker room. Wouldn't that be grounds for removal of press credentials from all ESPN reporters/employees trying to gain access to Texas Stadium? Do you really think they would go that far? I refuse to believe ESPN is hurting that bad. They are the only damn sports highlight show on the planet, and have crushed every competitor that has come along over the years.
You got a point, but at the same time, the lack of any relevant competition for ESPN plays a huge role in them being able to do absolutelyanything they want to do with how the report their stories, highlights, headlines, etc. and not see any kind of consequences for reporting absolute crap...

This ain't the first time they've taken a Terrell Owens issue and turned it into The Bold and The Beautiful. And to think, all of this started becauseJason Garrett called meetings with 3 of his receivers and met with the entire offense following those three meetings?
eyes.gif
It just all seems over the top.From the initial report, on down to the reports that Witten was confronted by teammates with Back Stabbers playing blaring in the locker room. It's alljust so ridiculously over the top it's hard to believe some of it...

Originally Posted by devilmonx

Originally Posted by OWL TROUTWIG

If the Boys lose big it will be because of ESPN
grin.gif
lol, that's a new one.
roll.gif

I'm going to petition the NFL/ESPN to give us last week's Philly game back, because ESPN was clearly to blame... constantly reporting on Plax's absence, interviewing the players and asking how they would respond (the gall!) and so on. I only hope the poor Patriots don't petition to get XLII back, because of ESPN putting pressure on them to go 19-0.
frown.gif

Nah I dont/ didnt think they could win. If they are down 21-0 in the second it will be evident that it was a distraction

Now that TO has basically put Werder on blast, it makes them look petty and calls into question their journalistic integrity by having practically all of theiremployees now blasting TO.

No one on ESPN in his right mind will question Werder's story. They (other anchors/reporters) will all side with Werder. Meaning that anything said aboutTO from here on out will NOT be covered fairly.

How can you claim to be an unbiased sports reporting outlet when you are CLEARLY showing bias against a specific player?
smh.gif

ESPN should just pull Werder from Dallas to prove there isn't some sort of agenda here.

Seems like this whole story (Fabrication) was made up so Dallas would come out victorious Sunday, which they did. It served its purpose in being an additionalmotivator though. This story will completely disappear now.

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

This story will completely disappear now.
Don't we all wish.

They are hyping to death this TO and SAS interview that's coming up.

They opened the show screaming about a huge TO interview and how they are gonna finally get to the bottom of it all. But yet, we still have no interview. Seemslike they will drag this out to keep viewers tuned in and won't show the interview until almost 7p (est).
smh.gif

edit:
Guess I was wrong about the timing.
laugh.gif

It's on now.

Back
Top Bottom