Ex sport athletes if you could start your life over, would you try harder at sports?

Just a lil bit harder, but I reached my goal regardless. Just wish I would have insisted on staying as a guard.

Looking back, I probably should have started playing organized basketball earlier to go along with getting in better shape.

The year after HS I found out there was a dive team. Out of all the sports I did diving was the only one I was definitely sure I could have
gotten a scholarship with a little coaching

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

I kinda knew exactly what I wanted to do since I was young so my goals of being an athlete always took a back seat especially after high school

ohwell.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif

no doubt. shoulda listened to my coaches and parents..."best in town isn't good enough..."

Originally Posted by Brolic Scholar

I was a "blue chip" full back that ran that squatted 440 in highschool, ran a 4.5 and should have been playing running back, but there were dudes smaller than me who ran just a hair faster but could not roll over people like I did.

I weighed 188 going into my senior year and also held the district record for the 110 meter hurdles. I was athletic as !+*$ could do a full back flip with all my pads on, had girls on my **** and scouts from big name Division I schools sending me letters and calling me at home.

I was a beast in the weight room and live breathed and slept football...

All until my senior year. I told my coach about an opportunity for me during summer and asked him if he'd allow me to miss that years camp (I had attended/played Varsity since I was a freshman) and coach said "ok". When I returned dude had a chip on his shoulder and benched me the first three games of the season and told the local reporter that it was for a discipline problem. By this time, the calls started dropping off and I was so depressed that I lost all my drive. Dude took the wind out of my sail. During my third benched game after an 800 plus season as a junior fullback, I took off my pads and headed to the locker room.

Dude finally broke me.

After that I started getting calls from lower level schools and just lost all interest.

I ended up going to LSU in 96 and lived in the athletic dorm soon after. At the time, I knew Ryan Clark (Steelers) and saw a bunch of future NFL stars all the time. I never even thought to walk on because I thought it was beneath me.
30t6p3b.gif

I had all the drive and let a racist +*% pedo !+*$ up my career.

If I had to do it over, I would've transferred early in my high school career and I would be in the league. No doubt in my mind.

I'm happy though, but sometimes I think about what I threw away.
If you quit because you got benched, you have no one to blame but yourself. This is not "drive." Drive is pushing through it anyways, putting your pride on low, and finding a new role to help the team.

NOPE.

I was as good as I could be but I just wasnt fast enough to make it to the next level. I was fast enough for middle school and high school but not fast enough for Div.1.

Maybe i should have tried to play golf...where speed isnt a factor.

Originally Posted by superbowlhomeboy217

If you quit because you got benched, you have no one to blame but yourself. This is not "drive." Drive is pushing through it anyways, putting your pride on low, and finding a new role to help the team.

I didn't quit. I finished the season with my team and even sat down with some smaller schools after the season, but after feeling like my life was under someone else's control (my high school coach) I felt like a slave and wanted nothing to do with the sport anymore. Freedom was and still is very important to me.

My drive put me in the record books in high school, made me work out 7 days a week during the off season (sometimes twice a day) and made me play on a broken ankle for two years without a cast. Also got that hurdle record on a (taped up) broken ankle. That same drive is being redirected now into something else though. You'll hear about it one day. I'm not a quitter my man.

YES! wish i wouldve took it more seriously. a guy i went to school with just got drafted by the arizona cardinals. name is Bryant Nnabuife. he went to a junior college got recognized by university of california-berkeley played for them and now go drafted by the cardinals.

at the least it couldve paid for college.

Back
Top Bottom