F1 Official Thread - Grand Prix of Britain

I miss this so much.
Forget the electricity, hybrid stuff.
Focus on biofuels (as Seb did last week) and bring back the V10's.

I memba when I was a kid when BMW Williams rolled out with Ralf and Juan Pablo, then all of a sudden they were competing for points like wtfff lmaoooo. Cars were definitely competitive.

God I miss the V10s

curb-your-enthusiasm-larry-david.gif

Now that Lewis has stopped running the experimental set ups I'm pretty sure we'll see the qualifying tables turn in his favor.

If Lewis hadn't crashed in Quali on Saturday he was looking at Pole or P2 which would have changed his entire weekend.

I can't wait to see Merc's upgraded package for France and thank God its not another Sprint weekend.

It's turned almost tribal-football like.
Like, ppl getting mocked and harassed for supporting another team/driver? And from grown-ups? TF is wrong with these ppl .
I just got back to watching F1 and this kind of garbage I'm greeted with? this is just so bad for F1. we don't need this kind of lawlessness.

I’m not sure why people hate sprint weekends.
Ya’ll enjoy free practice that much?
I really don’t mind swapping FP3 for a Sprint Race.

when you’re at the race too, a sprint has to be more satisfying than an FP.

Why Sprint weekends suck:

1- Qualifying should decide pole for the race... there's no reason to ever change this. A great qualifying for a driver basically gets leveled. A lot about that seems wrong.

2- In a Sprint weekend teams only get one practice session to figure out their on track set up. Pretty obvious why this is problematic and not in the best interests of racing.

3- We don't get too many variations in tire selection because most teams ran the softs already.

4- They hand out Medals for the winners of the sprint-- lol this is kinda silly, whats the point?

Probably a bunch of other things I'm forgetting here but I get that the Sprint is there to lengthen the weekend and increase excitement, but overall it really hasn't done that for me.

I'm not even sure how I'd improve the sprint at this point, it feels like a waste.

I'm not a fan. The very first one was entertaining cuz Fernando (and a few others, I think?) started on Softs.... but if everyone chose to play a more conservative, same-tyre strategy, then it just becomes a procession. I personally prefer to watch FP's cuz then I can see how each team does session by session. I also enjoy watching all the pre-season testing sessions and looking at laptimes, so my view of this could be very different.

Yea I liked the earlier sprints at first. Now like Kinfolk Kinfolk says it is just a process.

Qualy shoudl decide the grid. Teams also should have more time to dial in their cars for the specific circuit. Just leaves for better racing IMO on Sunday.

F1 bigwigs really want to push on with these Sprint Races cuz it allows them to generate more "buzz" (and income) for those GP weekends... they'll continue to push the narrative that fans love it, but reading the Tweets and watching it for yourself, you'll know that it doesn't work all the time and can be underwhelming. We could occasionally get a good race (like Lew charging from the back of the field) and they'll all be like "See, what a wonderful idea this is!", but it can be so hit-or-miss.

The topic of "pole position" bugs me as well cuz, to me, it was always defined as the fastest car on the lightest fuel with the fastest tyre... the ultimate pace... the fastest laptime. But now, they define it as the winner of the Sprint... so I don't really know how it'll go down in the record books. I think they might have changed it for this season, but I don't really know. 🤷‍♂️

The topic of "pole position" bugs me as well cuz, to me, it was always defined as the fastest car on the lightest fuel with the fastest tyre... the ultimate pace... the fastest laptime. But now, they define it as the winner of the Sprint... so I don't really know how it'll go down in the record books. I think they might have changed it for this season, but I don't really know. 🤷‍♂️

This part!

Sprints as a whole have a naming problem as well.

Its technically not a race, the winner technically doesn't go down in the record books as having achieved "Pole", its just confusing overall.

The least they could do is get some firm terminology in place.

Thanks for all the responses, I can see now how it can be disruptive to the race itself and records/traditions. I definitely felt that it wasn’t enough time to dial in the setups as with Mclaren’s case this weekend. Would a regular weekend have improved their weekend overall? Possibly.
While I enjoy watching the build up thru FP sessions, not gonna lie Friday quali is an exciting switch up with how ramped up things are. No lazy FP1s, everyone’s trying to get on track. Like Sin said, speeds up the weekend. But yeah, I understand the distaste for them now.
The Sprint 100% feels like it’s catered towards casuals which makes sense why I enjoy it being new to F1. They’re upping it to 6 next season so we’ll see if I get sick of it then.

With the money their making now, maybe it’s time to start paying the marshals.
45C6832A-7349-4609-9EF7-21BD7A39147E.jpeg

Scary moment, especially with the way it caught on fire so quickly.

Marshal pretty much saved the race from being an absolute catastrophe by putting a wheel chock on the right front wheel.

Back
Top Bottom