Favorite Liquor to Drink Straight Up?

Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

jameson.jpg

Anything less would be uncivilized
So can anyone attempt to describe the taste of this? How different is it from just normal whiskey.

hopefully I can help my fellow S&T MMA thread patron out.  For full disclosure, I will say that this is just my own opinion and my own palate.  Others may differ.

By "normal whiskey" I'm guessing that you are referring to Scotch (also full disclosure, there are a bajillion different types of scotch that run the full spectrum of taste, smell, mouth feel, etc... etc... so this is just a very broad generalization)

Jameson to me has a much sweeter taste up front, is a very smooth drink, and the finish does not linger too much.  I think it is an easy drinking whiskey because of this sweetness and because it doesn't overwhelm your mouth/taste buds even after you have gulped it down.  Now when I say sweet, I dont mean that its like the JD Honey or some of this other mixed/infused stuff that has been posted here.  Its not sweet like you just put a sugar cube in your mouth, but just a touch of the sweetness.

For "regular whiskey" I will use Johnny Walker black as an example.  The first thing you notice right away from a JW Black vs. Jameson is the smell.  JW will have a much "smokier" smell compared to the more "sweet" smell of Jameson.  The taste will be in line with the smell, and that smokiness will really come through.  JW Black will also have a smooth finish.  If you run into a cheaper whisky, the most noticable thing will be the finish.  With a cheap whisky, you will get a lot of bite, and by bite, i mean this almost bitter sharpness on your tongue.

I recommend you try both, as you will very easily see the difference, and both are good in their own ways.

Lastly, I am not a whiskey or whisky expert by any means, I am just a drunk.

For the NTer asking about a CHEAP but GOOD Whiskey, JAMESON IS THE TICKET.  It is CHEAP by most standards.  I can usually find it on sale at my local supermarket for about $18 a bottle.  On SUPER sale (usually around St. Patty's day) I've gotten it as cheap as $12 a bottle.

Back to the topic at hand.

Unless I am drinking beer, I usually drink all my liquor "on the rocks" (few exceptions).  I know this is blasphemy, especially when you are talking about high end whisky's, but its just the way my pops growing up, and how I grew accustomed to drinking.

My liquor cabinet/rotation
Jameson
Tullamore Dew
Makers Mark
Basil Hayden
JW Black
JW Blue
Glenmorangie
Laphroaig

I been trying to find some Pappy Van Winkle 20 year Family Reserve, but its been impossible to find.  If anyone can get easy access to it (at a reasonable price) PM me... seriously.

Originally Posted by RaWeX05

Jameson and Fernet.
pimp.gif
my man.  my home girl who spends alot of time in south america put me onto this.  it's like jag for grown ups.

Originally Posted by MPLSdunk

Jameson and Fernet.
pimp.gif
my man.  my home girl who spends alot of time in south america put me onto this.  it's like jag for grown ups.

thoughts on fernet menta?

i always thought of fernet as a somewhat "hipster" drink, but after a big heavy meal its pretty dang good.  

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1
So can anyone attempt to describe the taste of this? How different is it from just normal whiskey.

hopefully I can help my fellow S&T MMA thread patron out.  For full disclosure, I will say that this is just my own opinion and my own palate.  Others may differ.

By "normal whiskey" I'm guessing that you are referring to Scotch (also full disclosure, there are a bajillion different types of scotch that run the full spectrum of taste, smell, mouth feel, etc... etc... so this is just a very broad generalization)

Jameson to me has a much sweeter taste up front, is a very smooth drink, and the finish does not linger too much.  I think it is an easy drinking whiskey because of this sweetness and because it doesn't overwhelm your mouth/taste buds even after you have gulped it down.  Now when I say sweet, I dont mean that its like the JD Honey or some of this other mixed/infused stuff that has been posted here.  Its not sweet like you just put a sugar cube in your mouth, but just a touch of the sweetness.

For "regular whiskey" I will use Johnny Walker black as an example.  The first thing you notice right away from a JW Black vs. Jameson is the smell.  JW will have a much "smokier" smell compared to the more "sweet" smell of Jameson.  The taste will be in line with the smell, and that smokiness will really come through.  JW Black will also have a smooth finish.  If you run into a cheaper whisky, the most noticable thing will be the finish.  With a cheap whisky, you will get a lot of bite, and by bite, i mean this almost bitter sharpness on your tongue.

I recommend you try both, as you will very easily see the difference, and both are good in their own ways.

Lastly, I am not a whiskey or whisky expert by any means, I am just a drunk.

For the NTer asking about a CHEAP but GOOD Whiskey, JAMESON IS THE TICKET.  It is CHEAP by most standards.  I can usually find it on sale at my local supermarket for about $18 a bottle.  On SUPER sale (usually around St. Patty's day) I've gotten it as cheap as $12 a bottle.

Back to the topic at hand.

Unless I am drinking beer, I usually drink all my liquor "on the rocks" (few exceptions).  I know this is blasphemy, especially when you are talking about high end whisky's, but its just the way my pops growing up, and how I grew accustomed to drinking.

My liquor cabinet/rotation
Jameson
Tullamore Dew
Makers Mark
Basil Hayden
JW Black
JW Blue
Glenmorangie
Laphroaig

I been trying to find some Pappy Van Winkle 20 year Family Reserve, but its been impossible to find.  If anyone can get easy access to it (at a reasonable price) PM me... seriously.

some good info, but unfortunately some wrong info as well.  Not knocking your opionion at all, just some of the info...
Scotch whisky (minus the "e") is only, by law, distlled in Scotland.
Irish WhiskEy (with the "e") is only distlled in Ireland.
Scotch is distlled 2 times and only made in Scotland, while Irish whiskey is distilled 3 times.
Johnny Walker (all types) is a Scotch.
Whiskey or whisky are broad terms.  You can can have Scotch, Irish, Bourbon, Tennessee.
All depends on where and what it is made from.
"All scotch is whisky, but not all whisky is scotch"
Someone saying "normal whiskey" makes no sense.  To most people, I guess normal whiskey would be either a bourbon or a Tennessee?  I prefer Jack Daniel's Single Barrel.  that stuff is great..
Not all Scotch has the smokiness from peat.  Depends on where it's from.

Me personally, Jameson's on the rocks is what I drink 95% of the time I go out.  If a place doesn't have Jameson's (the horror) I drink gin or beer.  I'm Catholic and Irish, so Bushmills is disgusting...
Describing the taste of Jameson's?  There's vanilla and honey.  add some ice and let it melt a little and it opens up some flowery notes..

Oh and Mojo, I saw another alcohol related post where you mentioned Pappy Van Winkle.  I did a google search and good luck.  Can't find that stuff anywhere...

-J-  

Originally Posted by Kingtre

Grand Marnier
Nectar of the Gods

Dead all the henny talk
Full collection stays stocked- Regular, 100 Year old and 150 Year old depending on the mood

84852096.jpg
I'll drink to that..................

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

Originally Posted by MPLSdunk

Jameson and Fernet.
pimp.gif

thoughts on fernet menta?

i always thought of fernet as a somewhat "hipster" drink, but after a big heavy meal its pretty dang good.  
got twisted off some fernet + coke when i visited my cousins in Argentina last year
pimp.gif

Yup I got twisted off some fernet the other day.

I also have some real absinthe Saturday. Ill just say it was
pimp.gif
. If you can get the wormwood stuff grab a bottle and Google how to pour it up.

I don't know how some of you guys drink vodka on the rocks. Just not a big fan of it straight regardless of how distilled it is.

I'll take scotch (or any whisky) any day. It actually has great taste and smoothness.

As for me, Johnny Black is a must have in the household and has to be my favorite drink. I know it's cliche but it's a custom I'm used to in casual or celebratory settings.

JD Tennessee Honey, SoCo and Jameson are great too.

Originally Posted by JBug88

some good info, but unfortunately some wrong info as well.  Not knocking your opionion at all, just some of the info...
Irish WhiskEy (with the "e") is only distlled in Ireland.
Scotch is distlled 2 times and only made in Scotland, while Irish whiskey is distilled 3 times.
Johnny Walker (all types) is a Scotch.
Whiskey or whisky are broad terms.  You can can have Scotch, Irish, Bourbon, Tennessee.
All depends on where and what it is made from.
Someone saying "normal whiskey" makes no sense.  To most people, I guess normal whiskey would be either a bourbon or a Tennessee?  I prefer Jack Daniel's Single Barrel.  that stuff is great..
Not all Scotch has the smokiness from peat.  Depends on where it's from.
Me personally, Jameson's on the rocks is what I drink 95% of the time I go out.  If a place doesn't have Jameson's (the horror) I drink gin or beer.  I'm Catholic and Irish, so Bushmills is disgusting...
Describing the taste of Jameson's?  There's vanilla and honey.  add some ice and let it melt a little and it opens up some flowery notes..

Oh and Mojo, I saw another alcohol related post where you mentioned Pappy Van Winkle.  I did a google search and good luck.  Can't find that stuff anywhere...

-J-  
appreciate the info J.  Not trying to go into full thread derail mode, but just wanted to see if you could expand on a couple of things you said.

Scotch is distlled 2 times and only made in Scotland

so does this mean there are some whisky's from Scottish distillery's that do not meet the requirements (distilled 2 times) of being a "Scotch".  What type of whisky would fit this bill?

i, like you, drink Jameson + rocks 95% of the time, and so my experience with scotch/whisky is fairly limited.  I didn't know that it was the addition of the peat that gives it to smokiness.  Can you recommend any good but moderately priced scotch's that do not have the peat?  I'd like to try some out to see how they differ.

one last thing regarding the whole "normal whiskey" thing.  I just made a blind assumption and used scotch as the comparison example since the question asker didnt specify 
happy.gif

Back
Top Bottom