Filipino Culture Thread

I second, US chickenjoy is jot garbage compared to philippines chickenjoy. The US joint are oily af and veiny.
tenor.gif

(Side note: RIP to the great comic book artist Gerry Alanguilan)

Colonial mentality. It's predominant in the Philippines.
This is how my in-laws and all of my her uncles and aunties.

It's even funny how they've kept their opinion to themselves regarding the riots too. Because they know I'll immediately clap back.

The truth that Filipinos do not want to face. We are part of the problem. Holds very true for me. Especially growing up in a black neighborhood. It disgust me.

She has everything down 100% except #11. What power do we have? What voice do we have? No representation, no political clout, widely disrespected and trampled on socially, background characters in arts/film, etc.

no argument from me that we don’t suffer like black people do and we have a duty as PoC to fight alongside them but she’s giving us more credibility than we have.

She has everything down 100% except #11. What power do we have? What voice do we have? No representation, no political clout, widely disrespected and trampled on socially, background characters in arts/film, etc.

no argument from me that we don’t suffer like black people do and we have a duty as PoC to fight alongside them but she’s giving us more credibility than we have.
I think our generation has more credibility to be heard. We're actually aware and conscious of the injustice and want to make a difference. It starts with us. The older generation wants to stay quiet, put their head down, and follow the leaders that benefit their wealth and comfort.

Side note: I find it ironic how so many Filipino (And Asian) want their kids to be successful doctors, not to help people, but to make a lot of money. Crazy.

I think our generation has more credibility to be heard. We're actually aware and conscious of the injustice and want to make a difference. It starts with us. The older generation wants to stay quiet, put their head down, and follow the leaders that benefit their wealth and comfort.

Side note: I find it ironic how so many Filipino (And Asian) want their kids to be successful doctors, not to help people, but to make a lot of money. Crazy.

Money and prestige that comes with being a Doctor apparently. Gotta look good for the white folk right?

Thankful my moms didn't bring me up that way.

yknow people tend to forget that Asians in general haven’t been in this country very long. 1920s railroad builders, post WWII, throughout the 80s, etc. I’m 99% sure all of us here in this forum are first generation Americans.You’re right that we the younger folks can get there and spark change in our communities to do more (and from what I’ve seen, we are) but that’s gonna take time/generations and I’m not gonna fault my parents or y’all parents for not being involved they just don’t know or understand or care even. Girl on twitter needs to step back and look at the reality of Filipino/Asians in America.

Second point, #cultural lol. Living the American Dream.

Money and prestige that comes with being a Doctor apparently. Gotta look good for the white folk right?

Thankful my moms didn't bring me up that way.
What a terrible ideology to put on your children.

I'm thankful my parents supported me and my brother to do what we wanted to do. Although, it took a minute for my mom to accept that I wasn't going into the medical field lol.

That's an interesting point but when you really think of it, is it really any different than parents today wanting their kids to excel sports/acting/etc? Like how many parents actually put any thought about the philanthropic aspect of their childrens careers?

I think the whole focus on being a Doctor or just being in the medical field is just the peak of what our parents were able to grasp, as far as attainable careers go. When you're sharing saging in a shack with 10 siblings/cousins growing up, I doubt many were thinking of becoming computer programmers in Silicon Valley or the next big actor/actress. So I can sort of see how they were conditioned.

Plus, there's the whole once someone makes it, we're all paid mentality. That's why I leave FB friend requests on ignore. Dudes out there have no shame in asking for money when you're "family":lol:

Last edited:

I see them pushing their kids towards nursing more than doctors from my perspective, granted........it is mostly 'cuz it is "quicker" than the several years of schooling to be a doctor.

Other than that, I agree w/ your point...........carry on

Wanted to check in on this thread as alot has been on my mind this week as I have been silent in reflecting on the situation as a fellow Filipino dude and everyone has brought up their own ideals/experiences and how mindsets are molded.
My parents always taught me the golden rule and to respect everybody but for me there is some instances that I can remember from my grandparents that I can remember growing up that were bigoted and wrong, like as a kindergartner playing soccer and both parents and grandparents telling me to not go outside because I'll be too itim (dark) and other instances where my parents don't correct them because respect your elders has been militarized but I always felt taken aback where my grandma didn't want to watch Beyonce on tv .
Also just the catholic ignorance/christian values that they put me through school for but they want to vote Republican just because of the abortion stances or cuz McCain was a man of God while so many people are being affected on bigger issues. It's this elitist social class (my Lolo was buddy buddy with Marcos) aura that Filipinos freaking love that causes decision making based off faith/beliefs but then neglecting humanity at the same damn time.

My fam isn't rich now nor poor but more privileged than the people who are starting a freaking half mile around the block of the 100M race. These are the people protesting and we got to do our best to lift them up to just equality.

Sorry if I offended anyone with this post just wanted to share experiences.

ain't no /s here everyone contributes to the potluck. Even if its just some kutsinta from the market

I'm always that last minute mother****er that comes in with a 12 pack of some beer (its random, never stick to one beer brand), then like 20-30 piece bucket of Popeyes or KFCs lol

I'm always that last minute mother****er that comes in with a 12 pack of some beer (its random, never stick to one beer brand), then like 20-30 piece bucket of Popeyes or KFCs lol

Popeye's if you're lucky, usually its the 50 piece from the grocery store deli :frown:

Reactions: Ube
Popeye's if you're lucky, usually its the 50 piece from the grocery store deli :frown:

10 piece Jollibee's chicken joy if I'm REALLY LUCKY.............if the house party is literally 10 minutes near the Jollibee itself (even though the Philippines version is more superior)

Im legit scared for my country I understand yall protesting for our black brothers but we got bigger things in our country too. We legit about to have martial law because of Chinese' puppet.

Back
Top Bottom