FIXED GEARS

wasnt there a trick comp in san jo recently ?

star****ers are made for trickin but i hear the leader 729 is good. maybe even better ?

anyone know where can get some gold nitto bullhorns and gold miche supertype seatpost ?

i'm gonna look through the thread later on, but i was riding my friend's fixie today and i loved it.

i'm thinking about getting a bike to get around here at school.

i'm 5'9"

any recommendations on anything?

i'm looking to spend around $400 +%#

Originally Posted by aBKLYNthing

What are you guys using to lock up your bikes?

I was a combination of Kryptonite locks:

the Kryptonite NY U-lock with a NY 1217 chain and lock

They are a **$$+ to carry but I don't usually stop riding so I rarely take em with me

I'm trying to avoid the whole 20lb lock and chain route, not that my bike is worth stealing at the moment. I was looking for a lighter alternative.

I'm trying to avoid the whole 20lb lock and chain route, not that my bike is worth stealing at the moment. I was looking for a lighter alternative.

If that's the case then just get a U lock and Chain with mini lock combo from another brand and put your bike in visible site, you'll regret not getting the heavy locks though IMO

nt school me on fixies. why is everyone so hyped up on it? i burn these fixed gears all the way up and down hill in SF...... just wondering what the hype is all about what makes it so much cooler than regular road bikes?

Originally Posted by WErunSF

nt school me on fixies. why is everyone so hyped up on it? i burn these fixed gears all the way up and down hill in SF...... just wondering what the hype is all about what makes it so much cooler than regular road bikes?
it's actually the opposite for me and i'm on a road bike and my friends are on fixies. but i do need to ride more to get used to it though

Originally Posted by dont be a menace

it's actually the opposite for me and i'm on a road bike and my friends are on fixies. but i do need to ride more to get used to it though
Just get something you like ridding. i had a choice between a Pista and a giant bowery. I went with the bowery cause it suited my needs in a bike. It has a flip flop hub and it keeps my legs in shape for snowboarding season. 

Side note: I'm considering the Sea to Portland ride/race. Anyone recommend a good cyclometer? I need to be able to ride at least 125 mi in a day.

Originally Posted by mjbetch

i'm gonna look through the thread later on, but i was riding my friend's fixie today and i loved it.

i'm thinking about getting a bike to get around here at school.

i'm 5'9"

any recommendations on anything?

i'm looking to spend around $400 +%#
get a kilo in size 55, you won't regret it.

ok NT.  I just built a computer.  I feel like building a bike now.

Is 300-400 a good price range to spend?  I'm okay with used parts. Or is it better to to just buy cheap fixie from bikesdirect.com and call it a day?

Let's start off with a frame...what brands should I be looking for and how much?  I'm 6'1 with kinda short legs.  What should the height be?

depends what kind of frame u have a feel/liking for; aluminum, steel, cromoly, carbon, all ride differently on the street/track etc. ..

What are you guys using to lock up your bikes?
41lVFmKUaDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Kryptonight NY mini

It's quite the opposite for me. I burn my friends on their road bikes all day long with my pista. I guess there are more hills in SF so a higher gear ratio doesn't translate into a faster bike but where I live, nobody's seeing me.

Originally Posted by Its That Dude

ok NT.  I just built a computer.  I feel like building a bike now.

Is 300-400 a good price range to spend?  I'm okay with used parts. Or is it better to to just buy cheap fixie from bikesdirect.com and call it a day?

Let's start off with a frame...what brands should I be looking for and how much?  I'm 6'1 with kinda short legs.  What should the height be?
Me personally, I would just buy a mercier and call it a day. Learn to ride it, learn to maintain it, and learn to upgrade the parts as you see fit so you'll know exactly what you want on your next bike. It's cheap at 350 (I believe) and is a solid steal frame with a decent crank system. You can't go wrong, really.

Size depends on your inseam, not your height. Inseam is the measure from the bottom of your feet barefoot, all the way to that space in between your $%% and balls. Once you get that measurement, add about another inch or two and that should be your stand over height.

25268_1388474679931_1474016584_31035718_3959970_n.jpg

http://velospace.org/node/27435

made a few upgrades during the winter...

bunch of soma stuff(hellyer cranks, major taylor bars, double gates, okami saddle[not pictured])

weinmann dp18s to formula hubs

bikes pretty much done for now
will be adding front brakes though

looking to build another bike during the summer though(will probably go the alu route)

perfect weather right now in nj for riding...

K2theAblaM-How much does your bike weigh?

I see you changed the fork. I want to make my bike lighter. I hear the bike (pista) stock weighs 20 something pounds.Is this true?

Any info will be appreciated
happy.gif

Back
Top Bottom