FIXED GEARS

borrowing a rear wheel from a friend. all i need is a rear wheel and i'm done! oh, and maybe a shorter stem.

5906020377_ce86a70608_b.jpg

I'm still learning about bikes and recently bought a kilo tt. It seems like I have to buy a new inner tube every 2 weeks, is this normal? Why do my inner tubes get holes so fast?

Originally Posted by Cobra Kai

How's this one as a starter compared to the Kilo TT?

1z54607.jpg

[h4]Details:[/h4]
  • Frame: Schwinn N' Gauged Hi-Ten Track
  • Fork: N Gauged Cro-Mo TIG welded Unicrown s - - Color(s): Black or Pink/White/Green
  • Crank: Schwinn "S" Logo forged alloy with alloy 46T alloy ring
  • Chain: KMC Z-410
  • Bottom Bracket: FSA cartridge sq. JIS taper - - Shifters: n/a Cog Set: 18T freewheel / 18t fixed cog
  • Derailleurs: n/a
  • Rims: Alex DA 13 double wall 32 hole rear 28 hole front
  • Hubs: KT alloy with sealed mechanism flip flop rear
  • Spokes: 14 G stainless
  • Tires: Kenda K193 700X23C
  • Pedals: Kore alloy body trak with stainless steel toe clip & nylon straps
  • Brakes: Radius AS-2.4D alloy road dual pivot caliper
  • Brake Levers: ProMax alloy with reach adjuster - Handlebar: Alloy MTB 20mm riser (black) ; Alloy BMX 20mm rise (pink/wht/green), 25.4
  • Stem: Alloy road 22.2 quill (black) ; Alloy BMX 22.2 quill (pink/wht/green), 25.4
  • Headset: 1 " threaded
  • Grips: Schwinn Slim Line kraton (black) "S" Logo BMX kraton (pink/wht/green)
  • Saddle: Schwinn approved classic road
  • Seat Post: Alloy micro adjust, 25.4
  • Extras: Top tube pad

That's pretty awful - made of really heavy steel and a lot of cheap parts. It's made to look like the "fixie style" that has been popular but it's just a lookalike.

Originally Posted by AyoDun

I'm still learning about bikes and recently bought a kilo tt. It seems like I have to buy a new inner tube every 2 weeks, is this normal? Why do my inner tubes get holes so fast?
It depends where the holes are but it could be a couple of things - something embedded in your tyre, exposed spoke heads, pinching as you put them in.

The cures for those are:

1. Take your tyre off and inspect it very carefully - it helps if you line the logo up with the valve when you fit them because then you can find the part of the tyre where the puncture penetrated it. The tip of your finger is pretty good for finding little things.

2. Check your rim tape to make sure that there is nothing sticking through and poking through the tube.

3. Fit them carefully - shouldn't use tools to get a tyre on a bike - just off. Some combinations can be tough but with some talc on the rim, good use of your thumbs and making sure the tyre is right in the groove opposite the valve mean that you should manage it with bare hands.

can someone explain to me why the saddle is so much higher than the handlebars on most road bikes? i've tried my friends myself and it is the most awkward feeling leaning that much forward

^ aerodynamics and pedalling efficiency - it's the optimum position for going fast. Not supposed to be comfortable though.

I can't do it - I only have about a 4" drop to my bars and that's enough.

^ saddles are a very personal thing. What works for one person won't for someone else. It's a bit trial and error until you find one you like.

Saying that I really like my Specialized BG Alias - comes in different widths to suit you and is the most comfortable I've ever had.

Definitely avoid gel and other thick padding - they don't make it more comfortable after a few minutes - they just put pressure on your soft bits which is what you're trying to avoid.

Originally Posted by mjbetch

borrowing a rear wheel from a friend. all i need is a rear wheel and i'm done! oh, and maybe a shorter stem.

5906020377_ce86a70608_b.jpg
Yo i might have to steal that design
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Hey guys im a college student, and i just bought this bike to commute...
i only have to ride about 4 miles total (round trip) a day, so any is this pretty good for starter's bike?

Takara-Kabuto__54616_zoom.jpg

Tig Welded Steel frame and fork
Alloy Rims with Alloy Hubs
Rear Flip Flop Hub for fixed gear or freewheel
Alloy Side Pull Brakes
Yellow Kenda 700 x 32 Tires
Will fit riders 5'8"- 6'
Stand over clearance 31"
54cm seat tube (center to center)
54cm top tube
English thread pedals
Alloy Seatpost
Steel 25.4 kickstand

Here is a video I filmed back in April. We followed Nasty and Marco on their first trip to the US, only a month after the earthquake and tsunami in Japan. Thousands of survivors are still displaced and living in temporary shelter. There is a lot of work to do. Take a look if you have time, and revisit this thread.

Watched that the other day, awesome vid man!

I'm still pissed I missed that event because of work

Thank you, dude. I appreciate it.

Hopefully they'll do it bigger and better next year.

I know this thread is dead, but I'm looking to buy a bike in the next month or so, my budget is around 450. Any recommendations or specs I should look for.

Ive had the same nountain bike for the past 10 plus years. Ti e for a new bike and considering a purefix. Anybody have any experience with em? Frames decent?

Total noob but the bikes look good for 335 shipped and warrantied. Then i can upgrade parts later.

Good idea or no?

bumping this from the grave.

does anyone on here still ride?

I'm looking to build a bike for this season. 

Back
Top Bottom