FIXED GEARS

nice super pista up there..here's mine.
395467167.jpg

Originally Posted by crisone

^ Messenger...nice, what I had.

I hated tightening my chain, I'd pull on the back rim and step on the post for leverage and tighten with my other hand, haha, but it worked.

Cris.

God I am an idiot. I totally forgot you can adjust the back tire. I swear, the things I learn with this whole bike thing. Thanks Cris.

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

I hated tightening my chain, I'd pull on the back rim and step on the post for leverage and tighten with my other hand, haha, but it worked.

Cris.

God I am an idiot. I totally forgot you can adjust the back tire. I swear, the things I learn with this whole bike thing. Thanks Cris.
you could get some chain tensioners that might help too

^ Yeah...those help too, but at the time of adjustments, I was use to adjusting my way, haha.

Cris.

Before I go ask on a bike forum, I'd like to know what you guys think about this. Is there any downside to having your cranks not fully flush with your bottom bracket shell? Chain alignment aside, does having that space put any unnecessary stress on parts? The only way I can really describe it is when you can still see part of the bottom bracket spindle even with the crank arm pushed all the way in.

you should always use the bb spindle length suggested by the manufacturer of the cranks.

Yo, anybody got a recommendation for a messenger bag that's not over 50 bucks? Those Chrome bags looks dope, but I ain't trying to spill 120 beans for one of them. Biking to school sucks with a Jansport bag. Sweaty shoulders and back ain't the business.

Also, whats the name of the thing that covers the pedal and keeps your foot in place? Anybody know the price of some that aren't metal? I took the metal ones off of my bike cus they scraped the ground when I stopped or had to get off. I saw someone on BART with a Specialized fixie and he had a sort of cavas looking covers and I haven't found them... yet.

Thanks for the help yall.

Originally Posted by Hendrix Watermelon

Yo, anybody got a recommendation for a messenger bag that's not over 50 bucks? Those Chrome bags looks dope, but I ain't trying to spill 120 beans for one of them. Biking to school sucks with a Jansport bag. Sweaty shoulders and back ain't the business.

Also, whats the name of the thing that covers the pedal and keeps your foot in place? Anybody know the price of some that aren't metal? I took the metal ones off of my bike cus they scraped the ground when I stopped or had to get off. I saw someone on BART with a Specialized fixie and he had a sort of cavas looking covers and I haven't found them... yet.

Thanks for the help yall.
Look at Timbuk2 bags.

Alright, is there a coaster brake flip flop hub where you can put a fixed gear on the other side? Is that even possible?]
edit- also, what is the name of these things, power grips?

They're just basic foot retention. If the dude was rocking BMX pedals they were likely to be just straps like holdfast or burro. I've seen power grips, but they don't look adjustable for different shoes.

wow, that blacked out bike is NOT my cup of tea...chunky (in the wrong way) plus back aerospoke are a no no

that battle grey pista up there is nice
glasses.gif
  chick designed ftw

speaking of chunky....

fong, i like how youve built that up so far...im running sug 75 49 tooth and a phil 17 in back...skidding (esp with built momentum) is way harder with this 17 that with my old 19...we should go for a ride around the city some day(nh).. im riding in tomorrow for our obey sample sale, so you should come by  and talk shop!

speaking of all that, in preparation for the summer and my new project i think im selling the old beasta.

its an early model (considering) and matte black pistas  are hard to come by...going to ride it around for a couple more weeks then its on the market.

I had a couple people msg me about it and wheels earlier, i posted photos probably 6 - 9 months ago but went back and couldnt find them so:
yeahhh.jpg

and from when i was running it "moonwalk style"
thebikenew23.jpg

its going to be sad letting her go but if anyone or anyone knows someone interested, holler at me
glasses.gif
\

Originally Posted by alljayevryjay

Also,whats the name of the thing that covers the pedal and keeps your footin place? Anybody know the price of some that aren't metal? I took themetal ones off of my bike cus they scraped the ground when I stopped orhad to get off. I saw someone on BART with a Specialized fixie and hehad a sort of cavas looking covers and I haven't found them... yet.
They're just basic foot retention. If the dude was rockingBMX pedals they were likely to be just straps like holdfast or burro.I've seen power grips, but they don't look adjustable for differentshoes.

also a cheap pair of plastic cages are readily available for 6 - 10 bucks or so all over the place....if you dont have a shop near you or want me to pick you up some decent ones ill def do so, jsut hit me up

btw rafsjays?  what you riding these days?  you had some heat, cousin
pimp.gif

I hated tightening my chain, I'd pull on the back rim and step on thepost for leverage and tighten with my other hand, haha, but it worked.

Cris.
or get a hammer, wrap the handle in a thin towel and jam is between your back wheel and downtube then tighten your wheel in place
glasses.gif

^Hey rafsjays, how long is the usual turnaround to get onto SJfixed? I applied for SJ and SF some 3 days ago and I'm still waiting for emails... Would like to see how it is around Cali.

Originally Posted by alljayevryjay

^Hey rafsjays, how long is the usual turnaround to get onto SJfixed? I applied for SJ and SF some 3 days ago and I'm still waiting for emails... Would like to see how it is around Cali.

Sorry for the late reply. I really depends on Admins (there are 2 Mark, and Alex) and how busy they are. 
If you havent heard anything yet, I would send Mark and email. If its not on SJF send him an email through iminusd. 

Its been a long time since I applied so I dont really know how things go now a days. But if your having any trouble let me know and I'll talk to them for you.

Rafsjays, are you heading out to SF for the Red Bull event? I know Mark is supposed to have a iMiNUSD tent. I've been consulting on it...excited to see how it turns out. 
For those that don't know...

Saturday, April 30. 

Justin Herman Plaza

SF, CA

12-4

"Track" and "Freestyle" contests with some of world's best. 

don't mean to bump an old thread but i didn't want to start a new one for no reason. i am really looking into getting a bike asap and was considering a fixie. i honestly seem to know nothing about bikes after looking through this thread. atm i only have $500 to spend can anyone recommend me anything? i would love to learn to build my own but from what i've gathered that seems to cost more then getting one already built.

so I was checking out my chain tension as I spun my pedals

I pulled on the chain... my index finger went right into the chainring...
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

cut it up pretty badly.

Originally Posted by Burn916

Rafsjays, are you heading out to SF for the Red Bull event? I know Mark is supposed to have a iMiNUSD tent. I've been consulting on it...excited to see how it turns out. 

I wasn't able to make it out.....work 
eyes.gif

Smokee - I would go with something cheap like a bikesdirect kilo ($250), or go to a local bike shop and check out what they have. For a first bike I would recommend going with something complete. You can always upgrade parts as you go. Building your own can be quite a bit more expensive since most people who build their own tend to opt for quality parts. If you've never riden a fixed gear bike, borrow one or check one out a local bike shop before you invest some money only to realize its not for you.

Originally Posted by Its That Dude

so I was checking out my chain tension as I spun my pedals

I pulled on the chain... my index finger went right into the chainring...
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

cut it up pretty badly.

That sucks bro! You always gotta be careful, I seen people damn near loose a piece of their finger.

Originally Posted by Smokee Robinson

don't mean to bump an old thread but i didn't want to start a new one for no reason. i am really looking into getting a bike asap and was considering a fixie. i honestly seem to know nothing about bikes after looking through this thread. atm i only have $500 to spend can anyone recommend me anything? i would love to learn to build my own but from what i've gathered that seems to cost more then getting one already built.

Here you go dude. Pretty much what everyone tells people to start with. If you're into it, you'll upgrade to another bike in the future but if not, then this is the best bang for your buck:

3q.jpg

http://bikesdirect.com/products/mercier/kilott.htm

+1 to the kilo. Although if you think you'll have any inclination to make major upgrades, might as well save up and build a bit nicer one. I went from a Dawes SST AL to a Specialized Globe Roll to a Cinelli Vigorelli
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
so many jumps and so much money

Although I do like my bike.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom