Flat footed brethren rejoice | Running

Anyone have experience with the Asics Gel Foundation 10? I have extremely flat feet and have never tried a motion controlled shoe. Are these worth trying out? Thanks.

I've finally got around to purchasing a pair of shoes. I bought myself a pair of New Balance 860v3. It was between that and the Nike Zoom Structure 16.
I'm kind of disappointed that I ended up spending $130 on some running shoes, but unfortunately I have to pay retail.
I found out I have a narrow foot, so it's a lot more difficult to find shoes to accommodate me.
The shoes I got were ugly, but if they help me run longer/better, I don't care.

I used to be flat footed. I started running in the the NB minimus and my feet and lower legs got a lot stronger and I developed an arch. Anyone can do it as long as they take their time and focus on form rather than mileage. I went on a 10 mile run last summer at 5'10" 190lbs and haven't had many problems.

People who say don't use frees if you're flat footed are kind of silly. While they aren't generally good for people that are out of shape and people who are just getting into running, they can definitely provide a level of support from your own body because you will use more of your foot in the end compared to a heavy pronation shoe like a kayano, trance, beast, etc.

It depends on how much you actually overpronate to determine the level of support you need. Running in neutral shoes like Pegasus, nimbus, etc will be one of the worst decisions for you if your gait doesn't fall in line with them.

A lot of the running stores are smoke and mirrors but there definitely are knowledgable people that care about getting people's feet fixed and feel good.

Speaking of arch support, don't get something that has a high arch if you're flat footed. Shoes and insoles that are made with high arches are specifically made for people WITH high arches so if you're digging that into your already low arch it's only going to hurt you in the long run.

Something flat and stiff but still providing impact protection is generally the way to go. I was always a fan of the brooks trance when I still wore "supportive" shoes but ever since switching to frees and vibrams my body hasn't needed to depend on the support from the shoes as much.

Don't be fooled by cushion PLEASE. Too much cushion can trick you. Imagine it's like running on sand. Do you want to run on wet sand or dry sand? Don't make your foot/body do more work than it has to!

Goodbye.
I'm gonna go ahead and guess that you've read Born to Run 
laugh.gif

I have :lol:

I've made a lot of connections over the years with running reps etc and had lengthly discussions about all of this stuff. I guess it bleeds out when I get going. I'm really passionate about technical running.

I have
laugh.gif

I've made a lot of connections over the years with running reps etc and had lengthly discussions about all of this stuff. I guess it bleeds out when I get going. I'm really passionate about technical running.
laugh.gif

I read your post and was thinking to myself, I've read all this before somewhere..

But yeah I'm on the same boat, I alternate between the Free 3.0 and a pair of Vibram. For years I tried all sorts of different technical shoes and only had moderate success with limiting foot pain, it severely limited the amount of running I was able to do. Did a half marathon a few months ago wearing my Free and destroyed my previous time (run in some Zoom Structures) by over half an hour.

I used to be flat footed. I started running in the the NB minimus and my feet and lower legs got a lot stronger and I developed an arch. Anyone can do it as long as they take their time and focus on form rather than mileage.
Interesting; I need to look into this.

I'm flat-foot status so I swear by the Asics GT series and the Kayano series. Everything else hurts to run in after a while

If you guys are going to do that please realize it's a process and you need to be careful for not overdoing it too fast. Don't wanna waste time due to silly injuries!

Thanks to this thread, I picked up a pair of Brooks Beast 12's. I'll have to let you guys know how they work out for me 8)

Did the test. I have a normal (medium) arch? Normal pronator?
52m9lu.jpg
I'm confused. I don't even run like that, though, just a little cardio at the gym, but I'm trying to buy the right shoes.
What am I? Please respond. :nerd:

Last edited:
You've got great feet. :lol:

You should be fine with just about any shoe honestly. Trying on a few different ones to see what really feels best on how it falls on your arch would be the best bet.

i wish my arch was like that

mine is like the one on the left, mine gets a little slimmer at the heel

i use some spenco inserts in some shoes, i tried those strutz slip ones too

i'm not a runner though 

but standing for a long time and long walks are murder on my feet and back

Last edited:
What would you guys recommend for someone who over pronates on only one foot. I'm having a hard time finding out what to do.

Had an injury on my right knee. It's just weak and unstable and it's affected my right leg so my right foot/ankle over pronates when walking or running. I also get shin splints and lower back pain as well.

I'm thinking of getting a pair of spenco orthotics but should I wear both or just one?

Back
Top Bottom