FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

I had a man with his family at one of my sites telling me a couple months ago that he scopes the giant near his house for when they toss out meat and he goes and grabs whatever he can that's frozen. And that's a man with a home.

**** is real out here. Appreciate what you did or still do.

Yea dumpster diving is a thing, hell nkt even just for homeless folks.

The amount of food waste is wild man, knowing what grocery stores and food spots throw away on the daily man. :smh:

Most, of course, won't give it away due to legal implications but that is a different story.

None of y'all must getting ready to eat gumbo with all this attitude and spice in here

I'm actually making gumbo again today lol need to go get the rest of the stuff I need before everything closes.

The amount of food waste is wild man, knowing what grocery stores and food spots throw away on the daily man. :smh:

Most, of course, won't give it away due to legal implications but that is a different story.

Definitely. We're partnered with all the local supermarkets and trying to get in with some other spots. We get thousands of pounds a week in just meats and produce that would be getting trashed.

Donate to your local food banks yall. Folks need it. Strike logs for fires and warm clothes especially good this time of year.

Most definitely. We regularly get people going through our cans looking for recyclables they can exchange for money. There’s also people who patrol the alleys looking for appliances, furniture, etc. folks have tossed out that they can fix up and maybe sell at swap meets.

Always an awkward moment when I go to take my trash out and find someone digging through my cans. I usually just say hello and go on about my business. Not trying to knock their hustle.

Worked at a high end restaurant downtown years ago. They'd always be in the dumpster in the back alley looking for cans and bottles. We'd save the empties from the bar for them.

We'd also save the complimentary bread/rolls they'd give to tables. Sometimes folks wouldn't touch it, or just have one and it would get sent back after they left. They'd just throw it out cuz every table got some fresh bread. Instead of throwing it out we'd give it to the guys that came for the bottles.

When I first started volunteering, I was surprised at how many establishments would not donate their left overs or their recycleables. It wasn’t until years later that they started to... And I’m talking damn near 10 years...

Used some leftover chorizo and al pastor to make a breakfast burrito this morning. The chorizo was overly salted so mixed it with white rice. Put in the condiments (pico, green salsa, white onions, pickled onions) from a Mexican spot the other night (steak fries below) that wasn't used.

20181231_120141.jpg

20181231_120237.jpg

20181231_120430.jpg
20181229_210544.jpg

Last edited:
Used some leftover chorizo and al pastor to make a breakfast burrito this morning. The chorizo was overly salted so mixed it with white rice. Put in the condiments (pico, green salsa, white onions, pickled onions) from a Mexican spot the other night (steak fries below) that wasn't used.

20181231_120141.jpg

20181231_120237.jpg

20181231_120430.jpg
20181229_210544.jpg

That burrito looks top notch, man. Like the way you did the egg too; so you’d get some runny yolk in there. I always scramble the eggs, but might try your technique next time I make myself a breakfast burrito (which I sometimes have for dinner).

When I first started volunteering, I was surprised at how many establishments would not donate their left overs or their recycleables. It wasn’t until years later that they started to... And I’m talking damn near 10 years...

I'm not surprised. People don't want the risk of getting in trouble.

Picked up a bunch of coxinha for guests tonight. Brazilian spot opened up by me that makes them. Basically fried dough shell stuffed with potato and various other fillings.

Top to bottom....

Yuca+beef (that’s actually a croquette)
Cheese (far right one is Chicken)
Spinach
Dulce De Leche
Codfish (also a croquette)

Not pictured kielbasa and also a pumpkin+beef one.

A49033CE-88D6-4CED-88EB-0F42A3D067AB.jpeg

Thanks im in Montreal right now and was about to order a salad with crab meat. But ordered some salmon. But I never order salad unless it's from a fast food place like mcdonalds or chick fil a
Thanks im in Montreal right now and was about to order a salad with crab meat. But ordered some salmon. But I never order salad unless it's from a fast food place like mcdonalds or chick fil a

That sounds backwards and weird. Only get salad from fast food places? Those are the last places I’m ordering salads from.

That sounds backwards and weird. Only get salad from fast food places? Those are the last places I’m ordering salads from.

You must of never tried it. It's actually pretty good. I don't order salad All the time but when I order salad it's only at fast food spots.

Back
Top Bottom