FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

That toaststones vid was very insightful and simple

I'm gonna try making those.

I thought you were supposed to wait until the platano had dark spots all over it tho

That toaststones vid was very insightful and simple

I'm gonna try making those.

I thought you were supposed to wait until the platano had dark spots all over it tho

The darker, the more ripe, the sweeter. Super sweet plantains can be too much.
20180916_152805.jpg
20180916_161124.jpg

Tostones are made from UNripened green banana.

I would suggest doing it baked to save the calories.

Just as crispy

Also, salt and pepper before the plantains get crusted

What's the recipe with temperatures.
And when do you smush
I'll do it.
Baked Tostones (Green Plantains)
https://www.skinnytaste.com/baked-tostones-green-plantains/

Suggestions

1. Add a aluminum water tray to the oven so moisture can circulate. These things can be dry

2. Start out with 2 green bananas,.make sure.baking sheet is big enough

3. Have some sauce. A creamier sauce might be better. Maybe something with a mayo base.

4. Eat fast, they don't reheat well

Add a aluminum water tray to the oven so moisture can circulate. These things can be dry

Honestly, this should be done anytime convection heat is being used to cook food. (Might change chemistry when baking, so I wouldn't suggest it).

Grill
Oven

Etc

I've only had plantains once, from a Cuban spot in LA called Versailles

https://www.yelp.com/biz/versailles-cuban-food-los-angeles-2?osq=cuban

I wasn't a fan.

I guess I gotta try them again somewhere else.
Was probably tostones.

And I completely understand why someone doesn't care for them.

If I never had sweet fried plantains again, I would be fine. I usually give them away when I am with company getting Caribbean food. Just too much sweetness after a bite or two.

Tostones are more my speed

Was probably tostones.

And I completely understand why someone doesn't care for them.

If I never had sweet fried plantains again, I would be fine. I usually give them away when I am with company getting Caribbean food. Just too much sweetness after a bite or two.

Tostones are more my speed
Not a hug fan of sweet plantains either, love me some tostones and planto chips!!

I had sweet plantain with some ice cream it was fire. But only as a dessert I enjoy them.

20190417_170056.jpg

Cuban Roast Pork, Versailles Culver City

I always get 2 extra orders of Plantains to go for the drive back up to SF.

I’ve been to Versailles many times (the Culver City one is like 5 minutes from my house) and I enjoy the plantains. In fact, since I don’t eat meat, the plantains, rice and beans is all I eat there. :lol: But I think plantains are just one of those things not everyone is going to like.

That ring of onion would be a no go for me with that dish. Also sweet plaintains are the only way to go. Joints gotta be black before frying

I’ve been to Versailles many times (the Culver City one is like 5 minutes from my house) and I enjoy the plantains. In fact, since I don’t eat meat, the plantains, rice and beans is all I eat there. :lol: But I think plantains are just one of those things not everyone is going to like.

yeah, that's the spot, I use to live down the street from there. Only went once, got the garlic chicken which was really good.

Back
Top Bottom