FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

3B54AE89-C20E-485D-BFF1-757A3EC27BFA.gif
Nah
Wut
So you don't feel your muscles after the workout?
Wut

Whenever people completely dismiss an entire ethnicity as incapable of creating appetizing food I just assume there's some casual racism underlying their position.
Or it is so unusual to them that they have a hard time seeing it as appetizing.

I didn't grow up on any seafood. It has taken me my whole adult life to introduce various items to my diet that I know are good for me, but the unfamiliarity of texture and taste was a major hurdle. And continues to be.

eating out tonight also... will post pics later... but having some ramen soup from an old friend of mines restaurant... he had the place in 2014 but never visited until tonight lol...

Or it is so unusual to them that they have a hard time seeing it as appetizing.

I didn't grow up on any seafood. It has taken me my whole adult life to introduce various items to my diet that I know are good for me, but the unfamiliarity of texture and taste was a major hurdle. And continues to be.
Completely different.

Also if you take a look at a lot of the ingredients used in Indian food you quickly realize it's not unusual. Word to Tom Jones.

Sorry...I just grew up around way too many white people that give me the stink face for even suggesting Indian food as an option. :lol:

Completely different.

Also if you take a look at a lot of the ingredients used in Indian food you quickly realize it's not unusual. Word to Tom Jones.

Sorry...I just grew up around way too many white people that give me the stink face for even suggesting Indian food as an option. :lol:
Indian spices are on another level of unfamiliarity for white folks.:lol: They smell and taste like nothing the average white person has ever been exposed to.

Not saying it isn't racially skewed at times, but at least leave some room for folks to just be plain ignorant.

I find it hilarious that the average white person is almost expected to not be able to tolerate any type of spice/seasoning outside of salt and pepper. :lol:
Think most average white people are familiar with the usuals. Oregano, basil, thyme, cayenne pepper, parsley, paprika, cloves, rosemary, etc. But beyond that what are you going to expect. Middle America didn't offer much more variety until the last two decades.

Honestly if you visited black kitchens in the south you weren't seeing much more than salt, pepper, sugar and hot sauce. Most flavor came from grease, lard and cooking techniques.

The last 15 years especially has really given everyone a chance to get some education about what is out there. I'm speaking from an average small town perspective. I moved to NYC when at 20. Wanted to try everything that I didn't know. Some was hard to get used to due to textures and smells that just didn't work right away. Indian food has some amazing things. But first time I smelled it cooking it made me think of body odor. Was super hard to get past that and just enjoy the food. Smells, flavors and textures are going to hit everyone a different way. Just boils down to how much you want to expand your palate.

Indian spices are on another level of unfamiliarity for white folks.:lol: They smell and taste like nothing the average white person has ever been exposed to.

Not saying it isn't racially skewed at times, but at least leave some room for folks to just be plain ignorant.

Being ignorant is one thing. Totally dismissing another culture's cuisine by generalizing it as "smelly" is another.
People unwilling to try new foods is baffling to me.

Being ignorant is one thing. Totally dismissing another culture's cuisine by generalizing it as "smelly" is another.
People unwilling to try new foods is baffling to me.
You are right. But that is what all people do. We see this on NT all the time. Someone likes throwing axes for entertainment. The responses are "white people" with an eyeroll.:lol:

There is a measure of closemindedness in all cultures. Folks have to push themselves out of what they know and find comfortable. But that is a choice. First time I went to Japan and found out we were all sharing the same tub of water I raised my eyebrows. Not something that appealed to me at all. But we learn how others do things.

It's different types of white folks of course. While you can say many can't handle seasonings there's also a large section of hipstery white folks who are into "ethnic" food.

You are right. But that is what all people do. We see this on NT all the time. Someone likes throwing axes for entertainment. The responses are "white people" with an eyeroll.:lol:

There is a measure of closemindedness in all cultures. Folks have to push themselves out of what they know and find comfortable. But that is a choice. First time I went to Japan and found out we were all sharing the same tub of water I raised my eyebrows. Not something that appealed to me at all. But we learn how others do things.
Yeah but throwing axes is a lil....

Yeah but throwing axes is a lil....
...to you.

That's my point. Doesn't appeal to me, but I'm sure somebody has been doing it for a long time somewhere on this globe and now it is a fad here. We are all going to make allowances for what we make allowances for.

I find it hilarious that the average white person is almost expected to not be able to tolerate any type of spice/seasoning outside of salt and pepper. :lol:

I think geography/wealth/education has a lot to do with it as well. I’ve lived all my life in a big coastal city, mainly among upper middle class people who have college degrees or higher. It’s been my observation that white people in that group have wide-ranging tastes in food and try to expose their kids to a lot of different kinds of cuisine at young ages. That’s what I’ve tried to do with my son.

But yeah, white people who don’t come from that kind of background can have some pretty limited tastes. For example, my father-in-law grew up in a tiny town in Iowa. When he’d come visit us in LA, he’d struggle finding stuff to eat if we took him out for anything other than steak, burgers or pizza.

And my at old office, we would sometimes bring in Indian for lunch meetings. The vast majority people in the office loved it. But there was one lady who always complained. Yes, she was white. Always annoyed me.

I think geography/wealth/education has a lot to do with it as well. I’ve lived all my life in a big coastal city, mainly among upper middle class people who have college degrees or higher. It’s been my observation that white people in that group have wide-ranging tastes in food and try to expose their kids to a lot of different kinds of cuisine at young ages. That’s what I’ve tried to do with my son.

But yeah, white people who don’t come from that kind of background can have some pretty limited tastes. For example, my father-in-law grew up in a tiny town in Iowa. When he’d come visit us in LA, he’d struggle finding stuff to eat if we took him out for anything other than steak, burgers or pizza.

And my at old office, we would sometimes bring in Indian for lunch meetings. The vast majority people in the office loved it. But there was one lady who always complained. Yes, she was white. Always annoyed me.
Pretty sure my mom rotated like 10 dishes through my entire time at home. We had a large family with a lot of mouths to feed. There are certain foods that go a long way and you end up eating those alot.

Back
Top Bottom