FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

Went pizza hopping yesterday in New Haven, CT. We hit up Frank Pepe's, Modern & tried to get Sally's but they were on some 🐂💩 about online orders & to do that we needed to be registered & make a reservation to make an online order- tf? :smh:

Frank Pepe's was just as good as my last visit here- loved the cheese on the regular slice compared to my toppings pie which consisted of green peppers & onions. Pepe's char was a bit OD around the crust but very legit pizza nonetheless. Before heading out I wanted to try a spot that I never been to before in New Haven & going by One Bite 🍕 reviews Modern Apizza looked promising.

Modern is handsdown the best pizza I've had in New Haven so far. Their cheese was so robust & perfectly cooked it was a burst if flavors + they use a unique dough which is flaky & super soft. All of us agreed Modern was better than Frank Pepe's. I really wish Sally's would do business properly because I remember them having super great pizza & one bite gave em a 9.3 rating but oh well there loss.

Also, when in New Haven a stop at Donut Crazy is an absolute must. We got there a bit late(like 7-ish) & given the fact they are located right next to Yale their donuts run out fast. They just had regular options left but the manager was kind enough to call their Stratford location & told us they were full with fresh baked donuts. It worked out perfectly because Stratford falls on the way back to NY. I got glaze, chocolate glaze, some other chocolate one, Boston Cream & a powder donut.

Donut Crazy are some of the best donuts on the East Coast & I have to admit they have the most delicious & best Boston Cream I've ever had in my life & that's saying a lot because I've had quite a few donuts in my life 🤣. The Cream is so ooey gooey & melts in your mouth with such rich & tasty chocolate 🤤. I've been to Boston a dozen times & have tried local & chain donuts shops there & none of them can compare to Donut Crazy when it comes to Boston Cream. Overall it was such a fun trip & we all had a wonderful time. Can't wait to go back.
20220729_151210.jpg
20220729_151220.jpg
20220729_151543.jpg
20220729_154843.jpg
20220729_154843.jpg
20220729_153209.jpg
20220729_154857.jpg
20220729_154908.jpg
20220729_155442.jpg
20220729_155900.jpg
20220729_173522.jpg
Screenshot_20220729-173346_Chrome.jpg
20220729_180353.jpg
20220729_180436.jpg
20220729_180532.jpg
20220729_191054.jpg
20220729_232521.jpg
Seems like in Connecticut it's mainly pies only & no one does by the slice- strange imo. There's a few spots in NYC(Manhattan mainly) that do pies only but just about the entire state of CT is that way. I grew up with & much rather prefer by the slice...gives you more options to choose from with toppings & all that.
tenor (1).gif

Ride looks fuego btw. Catch any bodies since the upgrades?

What type of pastry is this?

Which cream soda did you prefer between the two? The Jamaican one don’t taste the same like how I remember it and it don’t hold the fiz as long.

I never have peanut punch, I need to add that to my list.
The pastry is called Pine Tart. They have pineapple in them & a sweet jelly. This one in particular my sis-in-law said was pretty bad. I've never had one before this so can't compare it with anything but judging by the softness of the outside & flavorful jelly- it tasted aight to me & not overly sweet which is a good thing most of the time.

Def prefer the Jamaican cream soda as it tasted more creamy. The Bedessee brand was a bit bland in comparison but it held the fiz longer than the Jamaican one. I just had the Peanut Punch & was very impressed. It tasted like drinking cold peanut butter if that makes sense, lol. Tasted natural & not some run of the mill artificial crap. Def get yourself some when you get the chance.
Got me missing being in Brooklyn where there's a Caribbean spot on almost every block to satisfy whatever craving I have. Food looks good bro :pimp:
Yeah Brooklyns Caribbean scene is on a whole another level, lol. Ngl, I've been slacking on Islander grub...expanding my palete & will be going back to Liberty soon but earlier this time so I can get me some doubles 🤤. You messed with L&B Spumoni Gardens or Lucali's when you lived here? Where you at now?
Pizza has to be the GOAT food
💯💯💯 Truer words have never been spoken. Pizza is life ❤️

Went pizza hopping yesterday in New Haven, CT. We hit up Frank Pepe's, Modern & tried to get Sally's but they were on some 🐂💩 about online orders & to do that we needed to be registered & make a reservation to make an online order- tf? :smh:

Frank Pepe's was just as good as my last visit here- loved the cheese on the regular slice compared to my toppings pie which consisted of green peppers & onions. Pepe's char was a bit OD around the crust but very legit pizza nonetheless. Before heading out I wanted to try a spot that I never been to before in New Haven & going by One Bite 🍕 reviews Modern Apizza looked promising.

Modern is handsdown the best pizza I've had in New Haven so far. Their cheese was so robust & perfectly cooked it was a burst if flavors + they use a unique dough which is flaky & super soft. All of us agreed Modern was better than Frank Pepe's. I really wish Sally's would do business properly because I remember them having super great pizza & one bite gave em a 9.3 rating but oh well there loss.

Also, when in New Haven a stop at Donut Crazy is an absolute must. We got there a bit late(like 7-ish) & given the fact they are located right next to Yale their donuts run out fast. They just had regular options left but the manager was kind enough to call their Stratford location & told us they were full with fresh baked donuts. It worked out perfectly because Stratford falls on the way back to NY. I got glaze, chocolate glaze, some other chocolate one, Boston Cream & a powder donut.

Donut Crazy are some of the best donuts on the East Coast & I have to admit they have the most delicious & best Boston Cream I've ever had in my life & that's saying a lot because I've had quite a few donuts in my life 🤣. The Cream is so ooey gooey & melts in your mouth with such rich & tasty chocolate 🤤. I've been to Boston a dozen times & have tried local & chain donuts shops there & none of them can compare to Donut Crazy when it comes to Boston Cream. Overall it was such a fun trip & we all had a wonderful time. Can't wait to go back.
20220729_151210.jpg
20220729_151220.jpg
20220729_151543.jpg
20220729_154843.jpg
20220729_154843.jpg
20220729_153209.jpg
20220729_154857.jpg
20220729_154908.jpg
20220729_155442.jpg
20220729_155900.jpg
20220729_173522.jpg
I’ve always preferred Modern to Pepe’s. Haven’t been to Sally’s since I was a child though.

Appreciate zmaqbool zmaqbool ’s contributions to this thread

A similar level of detail as that other poster, without the condescension towards wait staff or getting Red Robin every time
Thanks bro, I appreciate that 😊👍. I love food & love sharing some of my good eats with my NT Familia. Red Robin is my man therealest1 therealest1 fave food. He's harmless, imo. I enjoy his posts & details. He def has high standards when it comes to customer service, lol.
🤣💯
Broccoli and mushroom pizza is 🔥
I absolutely love 🍄 on 🍕 or even in general. 🥦 is great too especially with General Tsao chicken & similar dishes.

Z my man's but that RR dude is not cool or "harmless". Wish people would stop enabling ****ty behavior.
I meant cool as in the food posts & details, lol. Idk if he's being serious about the whole housewife going out thing. I admit I haven't read all those posts entirely because it gets to be too long but if it is about being & acting like men are the superior gender then yeah, that's not cool at all.
I should've clarified- I enjoy his food posts & details, lol.
Y’all talmbout the Red Robin duke?

He mad entitled bro he types like he’s the king tut of RR
"King Tut of RR" 🤣 that's where he said the wait staff at RR wasn't being attentive to him or something like that right but worded it different? Yeah, no, that's not nice. I was once in the food service industry too so I most of the time go above & beyond to the individuals who serve me be it by tips or showing appreciation & respect to them.

Again, I don't see how/why yall be comfortable eating in cars.

Having to eat out of your lap is just awkward as hell man.

"Had" to eat Tacos in the car and I couldn't even enjoy my food forreal.

I don't understand yall man.
You couldnt post up by the trunk? Time constraint?

I only eat in the car if I absolutely have to, and have to have mad napkins to clean my hands.

I hate getting cars dirty or touching anything in cars with dirty hands (unless it’s a fishing day or hiking day)

I absolutely love 🍄 on 🍕 or even in general. 🥦 is great too especially with General Tsao chicken & similar dishes.
Facts. My dad used to make mushroom and broccoli pizza at home growing up. He used to work at a pizzeria in the city when he first came to this country back in the day.

Mushroom and chicken go together perfectly

tenor (1).gif

Ride looks fuego btw. Catch any bodies since the upgrades?
Thanks man. Ever since I got the PPF done to it roadtrips are a lot less stressful. As far as catching bodies- got to say haven't really been challenged to a race in a while. That's probably because I don't drive it as much as I should- only racked up 4,500 miles in 6 years of ownership. Ordered it brand new back in 2016.

Some fun was had yesterday though- I let it rip in front of a cop & didn't get pulled over, lol. I was pulling out of that spot in the first pic & cop walked up to the car & I lowered my window. He was just choppin it up & complimenting the ride. He said his cousin in NC just copped one of them Widebody Chargers. He said "I want to hear the hemi scream, let it rip & dw...no tickets!" He was all smiles when I peeled out. I wish more cops were like him man, CT cops-👌.

Back
Top Bottom