FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

I’m glad you brought this up.

To give you an idea of who I think of when it comes to thermometer users, I have a story from last night.

I went to a neighbors house last night as they invited us over for burgers and glizzy’s.

The wife grilled, and she used a thermometer on every single burger patty. And they came out slightly past well done. She then admitted to us at the end that she has grilled 3 times this summer, first time in her life, and it is not going well. Why she decided to grill for us is beyond me, but I’ve seen her husband grill before so maybe thats why.

This is the “common meats” thermometer crowd. Grilling typical / common grill meats such as hot dogs, burgers, chicken breasts, thighs, etc. shouldn’t take a thermometer if you know how to cook it.

What kind of man let's his wife grill for the first few times of her life for a party? :smh: ( deuce king deuce king )

Exception to the rule, but this salt-baked chicken breast I had in Copenhagen last week was the some of the juiciest chicken I’ve ever had:
IMG_4716.jpeg
IMG_2295.jpeg

The chefs were using thermometers, if that matters.

It doesn’t matter. A high level chef or professional grill master responsible for profit at an establishment or winning an award at a competition is a bit different than a home cook getting a steak or burger to a certain doneness.

Their job relies on them accurately finishing at a specific doneness or temp, they have no room for error or wiggle room or the dish will be rejected / sent back / a failure.

zmaqbool zmaqbool

No idea if youve been here or not but I went to Joe’s for the first time in a long minute. Was never a fan of it before, and still not a fan. That was legit a waste of money. :lol:

I passed by John’s too and I had it one time, I thought it was pretty overrated as well. Shorty from the UK came and wanted to take me and her friends to “the best pizza spot in NYC” like how are YOU taking me to the best pizza. :lol: I went in with an open mind but naw, that was seriously comparable to your average slice in the city. I think L’Industrie is the only spot to really blow me away in years. Last time was Di Fara’s and to a much lesser extent Prince St and Crispy Pizza in BK.

I wanna try Lucia for their creamed spinach slice

Mama’s Too for their square slices and sandwiches

Rubirosa for their tie-dye pizza

R Slice because of their pedigree

Wizard Hat and Wheated look really good too

Last edited:
Naw bro, Adele’s is MILES better than Halal Guys and I love Halal Guys (pause), had it easily over 100 times in my life. Adele’s ive had a handful of times and the rice, the sauce, the meat (ayo) is way more flavorful.

That being said, the line is just OD mostly. If im craving halal and the line is like that in just gonna go down the block to Halal Guys. Tourists just go to the main cart next to The Hilton not knowing the one across the street is their 2nd cart. Almost never has a line or is super short.
I always circle back to Halal Guys as NYC's GOAT platters. I tried Adele's & meh just didn't get all the hype. Was it good & edible? Most definitely, Is it worth standing a ridiculous amount of time in line for? Absolutely not! I will never again. Halal Guys rice is also top tier in the food cart game. The meat to me is definitely not more flavorful compared to Halal Guys BUT Arabs generally speaking usually don't season their meats properly or as thoroughly as our cultures & people do.

I, too, only go to the main cart knowing damn well they have another one steps across the street :lol: it's just not the same, man. If its Halal Guys its gotta be from 53rd n 6 or bust. You ever had their hot sauce? Uff Allah have mercy! Literally a tear drops worth is enough for the entire platter for me.
Figured out a couple days.

1 day
Halal Guys for lunch (Adeles looks good but open too late with dinner reservation)
Rice to Riches
Atomix for dinner (lucked out with a reservation so had to do it)

1 day (carb Boyz)
L'Industrie
Fan-Fan Doughnuts (mango lassi looking like the move)
Dani's

Then I'll try to mix in Lucia Pizza, Kabob King, and a couple places called Saranrom Thai and Taverna Kyclades a homie recommended to me on other days.

Thanks again zmaqbool zmaqbool , picasso swerve picasso swerve
This sounds perfect. Don't skip Halal Guys and Rice to Riches, lol. Trust me!

Good looks, especially on the places to relax. Thai diner looks exactly like the kind of spot I like. And I was planning on being in the area anyway to do some shopping so probably just do that instead of halal Guys. Pretty sure we have the same halal guys in LA so no big miss. And I'll definitely pick up some mei Lei wah at least for some easy lunch I can bring to replace the trash *** sandwiches I know they'll provide at the work events I'll be at.

Do you think glace is better than morgensterns? Cause that's the one I see recommended quite a bit.
Halal Guys is straight trash outside of NYC. I had their food in Chicago & Boston & goodness I couldn't even recognize it as their product. Wild how Global they've gotten considering their food is wackkkk outside of their home city. Like picasso swerve picasso swerve said the dust from our beloved NYC pigeons & sweaty musty summer air adds to the flavor and can't be found anywhere else :lol: . Morgenstern's is good as well.

I always circle back to Halal Guys as NYC's GOAT platters. I tried Adele's & meh just didn't get all the hype. Was it good & edible? Most definitely, Is it worth standing a ridiculous amount of time in line for? Absolutely not! I will never again. Halal Guys rice is also top tier in the food cart game. The meat to me is definitely not more flavorful compared to Halal Guys BUT Arabs generally speaking usually don't season their meats properly or as thoroughly as our cultures & people do.

I, too, only go to the main cart knowing damn well they have another one steps across the street :lol: it's just not the same, man. If its Halal Guys its gotta be from 53rd n 6 or bust. You ever had their hot sauce? Uff Allah have mercy! Literally a tear drops worth is enough for the entire platter for me.

This sounds perfect. Don't skip Halal Guys and Rice to Riches, lol. Trust me!

Love Halal Guys rice. Overall, if I had to pick one halal cart to go to forever its Halal Guys, but I do think Adels is better. I never found Halal Guys meat (ayo) to be super flavorful actually but its the rice, the white sauce, bbq, hot all mixed in and it just works. And yeah, the rice id a huge factor.

I do the shorter line across the street for Halal Guys cause ill just sit on that marble thing they have there. I know theres a small sitting area next the main cart also but it be dirty af there. :lol:

And yeah bro, I been to like 3 of the freestanding indoor stores of Halal Guys, the one on 14th, UWS and Yonkers. They def do not hit the same, AT ALL. I rather not get it from there at all and get something else. My friend moved to LA and hes tried the Halal Guys there and he said it def is not the same.

Last edited:
zmaqbool zmaqbool

No idea if youve been here or not but I went to Joe’s for the first time in a long minute. Was never a fan of it before, and still not a fan. That was legit a waste of money. :lol:

I passed by John’s too and I had it one time, I thought it was pretty overrated as well. Shorty from the UK came and wanted to take me and her friends to “the best pizza spot in NYC” like how are YOU taking me to the best pizza. :lol: I went in with an open mind but naw, that was seriously comparable to your average slice in the city. I think L’Industrie is the only spot to really blow me away in years. Last time was Di Fara’s and to a much lesser extent Prince St and Crispy Pizza in BK.
Joe's is the one where they have up those movie picture frames that read "You saw us in Spider-man" right? They have a location near St Marks. I've had it a couple of times...it was slightly better than ok. My brother & his wife love that joint, lol, I think they overrate it a little bit. Dough is good at Joe's but the end product is always a bit too greasy.

Yeah I remember you mentioned you didn't like John's. I was shocked, I think John's is top tier stuff. Girl from the UK just may have known what she was talking about, lol. L'Industrie is most definitely up there and the same brother & his wife say THEY are trash :lol:- they give very questionable pizza ratings, lol. Di Fara's was meh...not worth the hype at all. Regular shmegular NYC avg at best pizza. I don't see why people hold them up so damn high on our cities pizza food pyramid. Prince St was pretty good. I know they're known for the pepperoni slices which I can't have but the regular was worth the short wait to me. Crispy in BK is slamming! I've been meaning to go back. You ever have Luigi's in BK? And L & B?

I wanna try Lucia for their creamed spinach slice

Mama’s Too for their square slices and sandwiches

Rubirosa for their tie-dye pizza

R Slice because of their pedigree

Wizard Hat and Wheated look really good too
Go to Lucia's new-ish location in Bayside on Northern Blvd. Same exact food as the OG DT Flushing minus the insane filth & crowds of that packed-to-the-brim/human trafficking Capital of America neighborhood, lol.

What's this tye-die pizza business? I never knew we even had that, lol.

Wheated looks phenomenal. Nice owner, too.

You ever had Dunwoodie? Pugsley? And Seppe pizza bar in Staten Island?

Love Halal Guys rice. Overall, if I had to pick one halal cart to go to forever its Halal Guys, but I do think Adels is better. I never found Halal Guys meat (ayo) to be super flavorful actually but its the rice, the white sauce, bbq, hot all mixed in and it just works. And yeah, the rice id a huge factor.

I do the shorter line across the street for Halal Guys cause ill just sit on that marble thing they have there. I know theres a small sitting area next the main cart also but it be dirty af there. :lol:

And yeah bro, I been to like 3 of the freestanding indoor stores of Halal Guys, the one on 14th, UWS and Yonkers. They def do not hit the same, AT ALL. I rather not get it from there at all and get something else. My friend moved to LA and hes tried the Halal Guys there and he said it def is not the same.
💯 on their rice. Oh, I'm right there with you the forever go-to halal cart will always be Halal Guys. Competition has caught up more than some over the years though. Nemo's outside of Queens College gets rave review as well as the other one(forget their name) on Broadway & Steinway St in Astoria next to the Chase bank. Yeah, again, Arabs do not know how to season their meat, lol. The rice + the white sauce does wonders for their food.

That marble thing comes in clutch, lol. Yeah, the seating area next to the main cart is always filthy :lol:. Hilton offered them 4 million a little over 10-14 years ago to move their main cart up 1 tiny little block just so the filth isn't a HUGE eyesore to their fancy little hotel, lol, but the owner laughed in his face and said I can make that in less than 2 weeks and that was that + by then them & that specific location and spot had already been sensationalized. And y'know name/location is everything in the food biz.

Yeah, they got those brick & mortar shops all over Manhattan + a warehouse location in LIC like wth that sketchy area out of all possible places :lol:. I took the drive to that LIC location with my SIL but refused to buy from there. She got her regular falafel over rice from there & said it was close to the carts flavor. I guess I'll never know. I got a burrito from 1 of those freestanding indoor spots years ago. It was ok, very soft tortilla.Lol, not surprised it's not the same in LA. I remember someone in here mentioning how trash it is out there which is no surprise. They got locations in China, Mexico, Japan, Middle East, Europe...it's crazy to me because its 100% trash outside of NYC. People must like paying for crap halal food overseas :lol:.

Back
Top Bottom