FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

C5B165D1-5867-44C3-BD72-2BBE1532A128.jpeg

J.Alexander’s

ADVERTISEMENT
Some of these Al-Sham reviews are puzzling. A few people complaining about getting sick from the place, everyone complaining about a 20% service fee? The owner is quick to reply in a snarky way to people leaving bad or critical reviews.
So I read some of their reviews on Google & Yelp & didn't come across anyone saying they got sick from here or a 20% service fee. Al-Sham Sweets & Pastries is cash only & doesn't have seating or table service.

Are we talking about the same Al-Sham? Lol, one is the one for sweets which is the one I'm talking about & has a bunch of 4 & 5 star reviews & the other one is a restaurant also in Astoria. I am almost sure you read up on the 2nd one.

IMG_4626.jpeg

Duzan. Round 2. This time, I got the beef shwarma with hummus and baba ganoush. First time having baba ganoush. Won’t be the last time.
ADVERTISEMENT​
I love Baba Ganoush especially when it has that delicious light smokey flavor.
I went to Doner once months ago. It was good but my favorite part were the sauces.
Yes, their sauces were amazing! I really liked the garlic one.

So I read some of their reviews on Google & Yelp & didn't come across anyone saying they got sick from here or a 20% service fee. Al-Sham Sweets & Pastries is cash only & doesn't have seating or table service.

Are we talking about the same Al-Sham? Lol, one is the one for sweets which is the one I'm talking about & has a bunch of 4 & 5 star reviews & the other one is a restaurant also in Astoria. I am almost sure you read up on the 2nd one.

Yeah the restaurant near the Cold Stone and Gyro Uno. I thought that was the one you were talking about.

The one you’re talking about is on the same block as Duzan, next to Little Morocco? Speaking of which, how is Little Morocco?

Yeah the restaurant near the Cold Stone and Gyro Uno. I thought that was the one you were talking about.

The one you’re talking about is on the same block as Duzan, next to Little Morocco? Speaking of which, how is Little Morocco?
Yes, that's the one, same block as Duzan, next to Little Morocco. I went to Little Morocco once years ago & had their beef shwarma. Probably one of the best shwarmas I've ever had. I'd give it an 8.7 out of 10.

If she's not the one driving then the "too far" excuse can't work, lol. It's pretty much the same distance for you guys then, lol, tell her she won't regret taking a trip out to Hicksville. Diwan or Sunshine both are great, the only minus Diwan gets is that their naan aren't really naan but their more like roti & skinny in structure. It's good quality bread & taste great but not fluffy or poofy like naan is supposed to be.
I just found out Diwan is gonna be on Kitchen Nightmares tonight for the 2 hour season finale. :wow: :lol:

Yeah I know I’m over thinking it.

I’m just gone get this ***** a knife set in the price range.
I’d say get one good chef’s knife instead of a set. You don’t need 14 different knives, you can get by with 1 and work your way up to 2 or 3. I have an 8-inch Shun that I’ve used pretty much every day for the last 15 years. Quality > quantity with knives.

Feel like the whole food produce prices aren't crazy given the quality and produce prices in other grocery stores

I am generally not buying too much else in there
Whole Foods is so damn out the way but their produce is much more consistent in terms of quality than our other stores. They’ll also have some good deals on meat from time to time.

When I have fresh seafood, I usually get it from Whole Foods. Not bargain prices, but reasonable and they do have deals on occasion. Quality is always good.

Back
Top Bottom