For Those Who Have Installed Memory On Their Computer...

I've got a couple quick questions, before I go ahead and drop $40 on a 15 minute install at Best Buy this evening.

I bought a GB of memory last night, cuz my computer has been running slow as all hell, and I brought it back home before I went ahead and agreed to having BestBuy install it into my PC. I got online and read the Install instructions, and is this install as easy as it sounds...? The way I'm reading it, all I haveto do is unplug everything, unscrew the cover, and snap this memory bar in.

However, the ONE thing that has me iffy about doing this myself is this...

Static Electricity can damage your system and the memory module so be sure to take precautions: ground yourself by touching the metal case while your system is off, handle modules by their edges ONLY, limit your movements and do not place the module down on the system cover or other metal surfaces.
I fear with my luck, I'll end up damaging something on this "easy" install, and ruin my computer or somethin'...
laugh.gif

The guy at Best Buy even mentioned this to me, when I was asking how much the install would cost and how long it would take, so I guess it's something totake into account.

So I'm sure there have to be some people out there who have done this themselves. Any problems? Is this Static Electricity thing something to really worryabout or not? Or should I play it safe, go up to Best Buy and drop $40 to have the Geek Squad do it?

MY man, do the install yourself. The only thing you have to worry about with static is that you put one hand on the metal case while you install the mem. Lookat how many sticks of mem are already installed and how many open spaces there are. Then tell me that info and I can guide you through the proccess easily.

Awesome. I figured I could do it myself... Just wanted to make sure.

I'm not sure how many open slots I've got, but I'm pretty sure there's never been any memory upgrades to this computer.

I'd have to unplug everything to remove the cover and check, but then I wouldn't have the computer on to tell you.

Is there a specific slot that I should plug this one into, or just any of the open ones? Thanks for the quick help, man!

All right open up your box and then put it back together and post how many slots there are and how many are filled with mem. I will be gone in about a half andhour. But I will be back on in like three hours so I will be able to help you then.

its easy to do it yourself. just ground yourself and snap the memory stick in an open slot but obviously dont use too much force.

I did it to my laptop about a week ago. I had no Idea what was in it until I did a system check on www.crucial.com . I was running like a dinosaur with 256mbof RAM, hahaha. I upgraded to the max the laptop would handle, and that was 512mb x2 to give me 1gb. She runs like a dream now.

And it was really easy to do. I had it done in less than 5 mins.

Memory is the easiest thing you can do to upgrade, it takes a second and gives you the best boost for the lowest price.

Im glad you put that crucial link in here, im going to bookmark that bad boy
pimp.gif

Probably one of the easiest "do it yourself" things you can install on your computer.

Make sure everything is shut off first, then find the memory slot, and make sure you hear the "click" on each end as you lock it in place.

Is this Static Electricity thing something to really worry about or not? Or should I play it safe, go up to Best Buy and drop $40 to have the Geek Squad do it?
I'm surprised no one has answered his original question (or fear, whichever...)

This is a very serious thing to take into consideration, but one that isn't without a quick fix.

To discharge yourself of any static electricity, simply touch with your entire hand a large piece of metal that is grounded to the floor or something (meaningdirectly touching the ground). If you really wanna play it safe, keep a part of your body touching that metal surface while you install the memory (a foot orsomething).

did you just buy 1 stick of 1GB ram? or 2 512mb sticks? I ask this because if you mix and match with your current ram it can actually slow down your computer.

Do not pay anyone to replace memory on your PC. Anyone can do it. Just open up your PC case and you will see were the memory goes.

DO NOT PAY ANYONE TO DO IT!

I wouldn't have a fear of static electricity, iv'e opened up computers many many times and never had a problem, i always just touch the pieces ofmetal, and have no problems after that.

Thanks for all the tips and help, everyone.

I'm on another computer in the house right now, and I've removed the cover of my own computer and taken a look inside at the Memory situation.

It seems both slots are occupied already, so does it matter which one I replace...?

Didn't want to replace the wrong one... I did some quick Google research, but couldn't find anything. I'm assuming it doesn't really matter...

Originally Posted by BgL2687

did you just buy 1 stick of 1GB ram? or 2 512mb sticks? I ask this because if you mix and match with your current ram it can actually slow down your computer.

I just bought 1 GB stick, for now. When I did the little bit of research on Google, I also looked into mixing and matching, and it said it was OK, but thepreferred thing to do is have
equal amounts in both slots, which makes sense. I'm most likely gonna be buying another 1 GB stick within the next few days, once I get my next paycheck.Just wanted to see if there would be any difference with the one stick, for the time being. I HOPE it doesn't slow down my computer...
laugh.gif

Like I said, Do a system scan on www.crucial.com and it'll tell you what is currently in your pc right now. And go from there. It'll tell you how muchtotal u can put into your computer.

Pusha...Just do it yourself.
Quite possibly the easiest thing to do regarding upgrades for your computer.
I did it on my computer in like 10 minutes...No lie.

PO

Word... That took me all of like 3 minutes.
laugh.gif

smh.gif
@ my scared n00b questions. Thanks for the help, once again.

Thank GOD I looked into this, before goin' to Best Buy and droppin money on an install.

How dare they charge money to even do such an easy task...

well as a member of the Squad there.... charging for mem... is pretty stupid i rarely charged unless the person was a %%@+@+%... but basically if all elsefails consider you paying for a warranty
smile.gif
or them buying you a new pc if they installed the ram...

Yeah easy to do yourself no point wasting money on Bestbuy money stealing geek squad

Ok I see you got it done with no problems. Yea just get that other gig and throw it in the other slot you will be good. I run 2 gig in my system and it isgolden for win vista.

Back
Top Bottom