Formula 1 2008 Post

That was some nice driving by Lewis Hamilton, FIRST TIME EVER I've seen a 3-stopper strategy that actually works although had Kimi had a fresh engine,he probably would've gotten Hamilton. It'll be really interesting to see if VMM will dominante Monaco they way did last year, which would validate thewheelbase theory. Another interesting fact, SF did not use the slotted nosecone in Turkey and I probably don't expect them to use it in Monaco givenit's a slow circuit and a lack of high-speed corners.

I find the Turkey GP to be somewhat boring (although there were some very NICE passes by Kovy and Lewis Hamilton) but the results weren't and now ontoMonaco!!!

[h2]Monaco Grand Prix - facts and figures[/h2]
Round six of the 2008 season takes the teams to Monte Carlo for the most prestigious motor race in the world. The annual dash through the Principality'stortuous streets is a unique test of man and machine performed in front of the glamorous backdrop of the Monaco harbour.

Ahead of this weekend's race, often referred to as the jewel in the crown of Formula One, we take a look back at its history and cherry pick somefascinating facts about the Grand Prix every driver dreams of winning…

- The Monaco Grand Prix is not only one of the most glamorous races on the Formula One racing calendar, it is also one of the oldest. Run on the tight andtwisting streets of Monte Carlo, the event was first held back in 1929 and won by British driver W Williams for Bugatti.

- Since 1950, Monaco has hosted 54 Grands Prix but it is only since 2004 that there have been garages for the cars along the pit lane. Prior to that, teams hadto push the cars back and forth between makeshift garages in the paddock or an underground garage for each practice and qualifying session and the race.

- Graham Hill, who was nicknamed the 'King of Monaco', won the celebrated race on five occasions including three successive victories from 1963 to1965, all for BRM. He returned to the top step of the podium again for Lotus in 1968 and 1969.

- Michael Schumacher also clinched victory in Monte Carlo five times, while Alain Prost took four victories and Stirling Moss and Jackie Stewart each won onthree occasions. But the record of wins in the Principality resides with the legendary Ayrton Senna, who won six times.

- Of the current crop of drivers, Red Bull's David Coulthard and Renault's Fernando Alonso have been the most successful, each clinching victory on twooccasions.

- The Monaco circuit is the shortest Grand Prix track on the calendar at 3.340 kilometres. The race distance of 260.520 kilometres is the shortest of theseason and nowhere else does a race cover more laps (78).

- Monaco is the world's second smallest independent state (after the Vatican). Its 1.97 square kilometres comprise the districts of Monte Carlo, LaCondamine, Fontvieille, Le Larvotto, Les Moneghetti and Monaco Ville. The total population of the state is 33,300, which means Monaco boasts the highestpopulation density of any state in the world.

- McLaren have scored the most victories at the Monaco race (14) and in 2007 recorded their 150th win at the race courtesy of Fernando Alonso. The second mostsuccessful team at the track is Ferrari with eight, while Lotus clinched seven, including their maiden victory in 1960.

- the Monte Carlo event is renowned for throwing up surprise results. In 1972 Jean-Pierre Beltoise took a storming win in the wet - it would remain his onlyvictory in the sport, while in 1996, fellow Frenchman Olivier Panis took his first, and Ligier's last Formula One victory at the race.

- Aside from Beltoise and Panis, Juan Manuel Fangio (1950), Maurice Trintignant (1955), Jack Brabham (1959), Denny Hulme, Patrick Depailler (1978), RiccardoPatrese (1982), and Jarno Trulli (2004) all recorded their first Formula One victories at the Monte Carlo race.

- With the Monaco Grand Prix a must-see event, plenty of famous faces flock to the circuit. Last year movie mogul George Lucas, actors Jude Law and Jean Reno,and chef Gordon Ramsey were all spotted in the Monte Carlo paddock, while in the past Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Hugh Grant and Roman Abramovich have attended.

- drivers must change gear a staggering 54 times per lap at Monaco, meaning more than 4,200 changes over the course of the race. Just 42 percent of the lap isspent at full throttle, with the longest period of full-throttle running a mere eight seconds.

- such is the Monaco Grand Prix's profile and history that it retains many of the traditions from the inaugural race staged in 1929. The most idiosyncraticof these customs is the expansion of the race weekend to four days, with the on-track action starting a day earlier than usual, on Thursday.

Hey Beatslim is back! Lewis' blinged out helmet for this weekend...

81092512.jpg
81092480.jpg

81092500.jpg

^ all good...
laugh.gif

anyway...

Free Practice 1 on Thursday in Monaco

[table][tr][td]1[/td] [th="row"]Kimi Räikkönen[/th] [td]Ferrari[/td] [td]1:15.948[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2[/td] [th="row"]Lewis Hamilton[/th] [td]McLaren[/td] [td]0:00.268[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3[/td] [th="row"]Heikki Kovalainen[/th] [td]McLaren[/td] [td]0:00.300[/td] [/tr][tr][td]4[/td] [th="row"]Felipe Massa[/th] [td]Ferrari[/td] [td]0:00.344[/td] [/tr][tr][td]5[/td] [th="row"]Nico Rosberg[/th] [td]Williams[/td] [td]0:00.705[/td] [/tr][tr][td]6[/td] [th="row"]Robert Kubica[/th] [td]BMW[/td] [td]0:00.886[/td] [/tr][tr][td]7[/td] [th="row"]Fernando Alonso[/th] [td]Renault[/td] [td]0:01.550[/td] [/tr][tr][td]8[/td] [th="row"]Rubens Barrichello[/th] [td]Honda[/td] [td]0:01.563[/td] [/tr][tr][td]9[/td] [th="row"]Mark Webber[/th] [td]Red Bull[/td] [td]0:01.850[/td] [/tr][tr][td]10[/td] [th="row"]Giancarlo Fisichella[/th] [td]Force India[/td] [td]0:01.887[/td] [/tr][tr][td]11[/td] [th="row"]Timo Glock[/th] [td]Toyota[/td] [td]0:01.994[/td] [/tr][tr][td]12[/td] [th="row"]Jenson Button[/th] [td]Honda[/td] [td]0:02.205[/td] [/tr][tr][td]13[/td] [th="row"]Sebastien Bourdais[/th] [td]Toro Rosso[/td] [td]0:02.297[/td] [/tr][tr][td]14[/td] [th="row"]Nick Heidfeld[/th] [td]BMW[/td] [td]0:02.315[/td] [/tr][tr][td]15[/td] [th="row"]Kazuki Nakajima[/th] [td]Williams[/td] [td]0:02.326[/td] [/tr][tr][td]16[/td] [th="row"]Jarno Trulli[/th] [td]Toyota[/td] [td]0:02.412[/td] [/tr][tr][td]17[/td] [th="row"]Adrian Sutil[/th] [td]Force India[/td] [td]0:02.412[/td] [/tr][tr][td]18[/td] [th="row"]Nelsinho Piquet Jr[/th] [td]Renault[/td] [td]0:03.007[/td] [/tr][tr][td]19[/td] [th="row"]Sebastien Vettel[/th] [td]Toro Rosso[/td] [td]0:03.228[/td] [/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td]1[/td] [th="row"]Lewis Hamilton[/th] [td]McLaren[/td] [td]1:15.140[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2[/td] [th="row"]Nico Rosberg[/th] [td]Williams[/td] [td]0:00.393[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3[/td] [th="row"]Kimi Räikkönen[/th] [td]Ferrari[/td] [td]0:00.432[/td] [/tr][tr][td]4[/td] [th="row"]Felipe Massa[/th] [td]Ferrari[/td] [td]0:00.729[/td] [/tr][tr][td]5[/td] [th="row"]Heikki Kovalainen[/th] [td]McLaren[/td] [td]0:00.741[/td] [/tr][tr][td]6[/td] [th="row"]Robert Kubica[/th] [td]BMW[/td] [td]0:01.156[/td] [/tr][tr][td]7[/td] [th="row"]Fernando Alonso[/th] [td]Renault[/td] [td]0:01.170[/td] [/tr][tr][td]8[/td] [th="row"]Jenson Button[/th] [td]Honda[/td] [td]0:01.211[/td] [/tr][tr][td]9[/td] [th="row"]Kazuki Nakajima[/th] [td]Williams[/td] [td]0:01.232[/td] [/tr][tr][td]10[/td] [th="row"]Rubens Barrichello[/th] [td]Honda[/td] [td]0:01.278[/td] [/tr][tr][td]11[/td] [th="row"]Nick Heidfeld[/th] [td]BMW[/td] [td]0:01.286[/td] [/tr][tr][td]12[/td] [th="row"]Timo Glock[/th] [td]Toyota[/td] [td]0:01.548[/td] [/tr][tr][td]13[/td] [th="row"]Mark Webber[/th] [td]Red Bull[/td] [td]0:01.954[/td] [/tr][tr][td]14[/td] [th="row"]David Coulthard[/th] [td]Red Bull[/td] [td]0:01.991[/td] [/tr][tr][td]15[/td] [th="row"]Nelsinho Piquet Jr[/th] [td]Renault[/td] [td]0:02.106[/td] [/tr][tr][td]16[/td] [th="row"]Giancarlo Fisichella[/th] [td]Force India[/td] [td]0:02.111[/td] [/tr][tr][td]17[/td] [th="row"]Jarno Trulli[/th] [td]Toyota[/td] [td]0:02.239[/td] [/tr][tr][td]18[/td] [th="row"]Sebastien Bourdais[/th] [td]Toro Rosso[/td] [td]0:02.441[/td] [/tr][tr][td]19[/td] [th="row"]Adrian Sutil[/th] [td]Force India[/td] [td]0:03.036[/td] [/tr][tr][td]20[/td] [th="row"]Sebastien Vettel[/th] [td]Toro Rosso[/td] [td]0:03.085[/td] [/tr][/table]

Man i missed the last couple of races, nice to see that Lewis seems to back on track in the practices. Monaco as a city and spectacle is right at the top ofthe pile.

F1 sponsorship is on another level, they slap these logos all over the place.

It started raining 20 mins into the session... Qualifying will be very interesting...

[table][tr][td]1[/td] [th="row"]Heikki Kovalainen[/th] [td]McLaren[/td] [td]1:16.567[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2[/td] [th="row"]Lewis Hamilton[/th] [td]McLaren[/td] [td]0:00.517[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3[/td] [th="row"]Kimi Räikkönen[/th] [td]Ferrari[/td] [td]0:00.610[/td] [/tr][tr][td]4[/td] [th="row"]Nico Rosberg[/th] [td]Williams[/td] [td]0:00.936[/td] [/tr][tr][td]5[/td] [th="row"]Robert Kubica[/th] [td]BMW[/td] [td]0:01.120[/td] [/tr][tr][td]6[/td] [th="row"]Felipe Massa[/th] [td]Ferrari[/td] [td]0:01.124[/td] [/tr][tr][td]7[/td] [th="row"]Mark Webber[/th] [td]Red Bull[/td] [td]0:01.289[/td] [/tr][tr][td]8[/td] [th="row"]Adrian Sutil[/th] [td]Force India[/td] [td]0:01.316[/td] [/tr][tr][td]9[/td] [th="row"]Kazuki Nakajima[/th] [td]Williams[/td] [td]0:01.580[/td] [/tr][tr][td]10[/td] [th="row"]Jenson Button[/th] [td]Honda[/td] [td]0:01.658[/td] [/tr][tr][td]11[/td] [th="row"]Sebastien Bourdais[/th] [td]Toro Rosso[/td] [td]0:01.800[/td] [/tr][tr][td]12[/td] [th="row"]Timo Glock[/th] [td]Toyota[/td] [td]0:01.857[/td] [/tr][tr][td]13[/td] [th="row"]Rubens Barrichello[/th] [td]Honda[/td] [td]0:01.888[/td] [/tr][tr][td]14[/td] [th="row"]Nelsinho Piquet Jr[/th] [td]Renault[/td] [td]0:02.048[/td] [/tr][tr][td]15[/td] [th="row"]Sebastien Vettel[/th] [td]Toro Rosso[/td] [td]0:02.084[/td] [/tr][tr][td]16[/td] [th="row"]Fernando Alonso[/th] [td]Renault[/td] [td]0:02.228[/td] [/tr][tr][td]17[/td] [th="row"]Jarno Trulli[/th] [td]Toyota[/td] [td]0:02.291[/td] [/tr][tr][td]18[/td] [th="row"]Nick Heidfeld[/th] [td]BMW[/td] [td]0:02.457[/td] [/tr][tr][td]19[/td] [th="row"]Giancarlo Fisichella[/th] [td]Force India[/td] [td]0:02.564[/td] [/tr][tr][td]20[/td] [th="row"]David Coulthard[/th] [td]Red Bull[/td] [td]0:03.638[/td] [/tr][/table]

Kimi could have had P1 had he not put in a raged final lap. Massa comes out and says he doesn't like the circuit, then goes into poll.

Coulthard binned it at 180mph, probably be a few more encounters with the barriers tomorrow, didn't Kimi catch the last year?

Damn, I thought Lewis had it...
tired.gif

Maybe its the fuel loads...

[table][tr][td]1[/td] [th="row"]Felipe Massa[/th] [td]Ferrari[/td] [td]1:15.787[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2[/td] [th="row"]Kimi Räikkönen[/th] [td]Ferrari[/td] [td]1:15.815[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3[/td] [th="row"]Lewis Hamilton[/th] [td]McLaren[/td] [td]1:15.839[/td] [/tr][tr][td]4[/td] [th="row"]Heikki Kovalainen[/th] [td]McLaren[/td] [td]1:16.165[/td] [/tr][tr][td]5[/td] [th="row"]Robert Kubica[/th] [td]BMW[/td] [td]1:16.171[/td] [/tr][tr][td]6[/td] [th="row"]Nico Rosberg[/th] [td]Williams[/td] [td]1:16.548[/td] [/tr][tr][td]7[/td] [th="row"]Fernando Alonso[/th] [td]Renault[/td] [td]1:16.852[/td] [/tr][tr][td]8[/td] [th="row"]Jarno Trulli[/th] [td]Toyota[/td] [td]1:17.203[/td] [/tr][tr][td]9[/td] [th="row"]Mark Webber[/th] [td]Red Bull[/td] [td]1:17.343[/td] [/tr][tr][td]10[/td] [th="row"]David Coulthard[/th] [td]Red Bull[/td] [td]0:00.000[/td] [/tr][tr][td]11[/td] [th="row"]Timo Glock[/th] [td]Toyota[/td] [td]1:15.907[/td] [/tr][tr][td]12[/td] [th="row"]Jenson Button[/th] [td]Honda[/td] [td]1:16.101[/td] [/tr][tr][td]13[/td] [th="row"]Nick Heidfeld[/th] [td]BMW[/td] [td]1:16.456[/td] [/tr][tr][td]14[/td] [th="row"]Kazuki Nakajima[/th] [td]Williams[/td] [td]1:16.479[/td] [/tr][tr][td]15[/td] [th="row"]Rubens Barrichello[/th] [td]Honda[/td] [td]1:16.537[/td] [/tr][tr][td]16[/td] [th="row"]Sebastien Bourdais[/th] [td]Toro Rosso[/td] [td]1:16.806[/td] [/tr][tr][td]17[/td] [th="row"]Nelsinho Piquet Jr[/th] [td]Renault[/td] [td]1:16.933[/td] [/tr][tr][td]18[/td] [th="row"]Sebastien Vettel[/th] [td]Toro Rosso[/td] [td]1:16.955[/td] [/tr][tr][td]19[/td] [th="row"]Adrian Sutil[/th] [td]Force India[/td] [td]1:17.225[/td] [/tr][tr][td]20[/td] [th="row"]Giancarlo Fisichella[/th] [td]Force India[/td] [td]1:17.823[/td] [/tr][/table]

good to see DC doing ok after that rough off. The red bull boys are gonna have a fun night. Honestly, I don't think pole means a whole lot at this pointwith the weather. Anyone towards the top can win just by not making a foolish mistake/pushing too hard. I was supposed to be there this week, but some familystuff came up keeping me here
frown.gif

^ no way, really? nice... hope the 'family stuff' isn't too serious... where were you gonna stay?

actually DC was 'lucky' to have his off there... where he could just plow straight through... it was at turn 1, it could have been a lot worse... maybethe tv cameras will catch his pit crew dozing off in-between stints...

yeah, I'm hoping the rain will make things interesting... for the better...

In a hotel in monte carlo. It had been booked for a while so someone got lucky and found an opening there last minute. And you're right about DC beinglucky it was there, but still, every time I see the connecting wheel tether fail and a wheel fly around, I immediately think San Marino 1994 and hold my breathfor a bit.

DC was extremely lucky. The fact that his incident took him all the way down the run off gives you an idea of how much worse it could've been. Red Bullscan never seem to catch a break.

What is the weather situation for tomorrow?

about an 87% chance of rain throughout the race. Should be raining during the GP2 races as well. Monaco+rag-§TC=a fun viewing later tonight.

^Indeed. Should be good. Hopefully a certain Italian team makes a mistake..or two tomorrow.

Tchau.

Originally Posted by curt2121

In a hotel in monte carlo. It had been booked for a while so someone got lucky and found an opening there last minute. And you're right about DC being lucky it was there, but still, every time I see the connecting wheel tether fail and a wheel fly around, I immediately think San Marino 1994 and hold my breath for a bit.
I know what you mean... speaking of 1994, it was nice to see the Senna name pop-up again in Monaco... for me the wheel rolling around reminded of Monza2000... especially with the close confines of a street circuit... things could have gotten much worse...
frown.gif

wow, pretty eventful already. Lewis and Alonso got lucky those were just minor brushes and didn't shatter the suspension. Poor DC unlucky again. I hate tosee it for him. Piquet needs to go ASAP. And kimi now with a drivethrough penalty thanks to his engineers. Ferrari pit crew reverting to their early 90s form Isuppose...

edit 1 (5:27) wow alonso the great equilizer bunchign up the fielt. Poor kov getting clipped. I wouldn't be surprised if kimi has to go through again, hisengine note didn't sound like pit lane speed for a while and he looked to be going pretty quickly. This is already everythign I imagined, the rest is justbonus

meh, that's why teams pay big bucks for their own meteorologists. FIA/FOM gets it wrong a fair amount of the time. Rosberg with a little dent there. Ipicked hamilton, kubica, masa order so I'll get some points for this in my pool as is so I'm pretty happy at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom