FREE Palestine! END the Occupation! STOP the Bombings! EDIT: BEGIN THE BOYCOTTS! PLEASE READ

People need to open their eyes, its clear what Israel is doing is wrong. The death toll stands at approx 800, most of them which are
children, women and young men. Compared to casualties in Israel which is 10-15 people and they are calling Hamas a terrorist group?

give me a break

I read an interesting article which explained that the reason Arab countries aren't doing more to help is because they want Israel to keep Hamas in checkbecause it indirectly keeps Iran (which funds, arms and supports Hamas) from gaining influence in the area.

That's just disgusting. Speaking of the Arab countries, CNN has confirmed that Israeli F16's have violated Egyptian airspace, of course Israel deniesit.

Also, anyone surprised that the U.S was the only nation to not sign the U.N resolution ? History does repeat itself.

Originally Posted by shakaraka

People need to open their eyes, its clear what Israel is doing is wrong. The death toll stands at approx 800, most of them which are
children, women and young men. Compared to casualties in Israel which is 10-15 people and they are calling Hamas a terrorist group?

give me a break
Exactly my point.

How is killing innocent KIDS, KIDS justifiable?

Im calling out America and Israel as hyprocrites. Say all you want, but you have the DEFINITION of TERRORISM wrong!!!!!

Originally Posted by shakaraka

give me a break
Exactly my point.

How is killing innocent KIDS, KIDS justifiable?

Im calling out America and Israel as hyprocrites. Say all you want, but you have the DEFINITION of TERRORISM wrong!!!!!

Also, anyone surprised that the U.S was the only nation to not sign the U.N resolution ?
Surprised but not surprised. The only reason I was a tad bit surprised is because we abstained insteadof voted against.
smh.gif

Originally Posted by MidEastBeast

I read an interesting article which explained that the reason Arab countries aren't doing more to help is because they want Israel to keep Hamas in check because it indirectly keeps Iran (which funds, arms and supports Hamas) from gaining influence in the area.

That's just disgusting. Speaking of the Arab countries, CNN has confirmed that Israeli F16's have violated Egyptian airspace, of course Israel denies it.

Also, anyone surprised that the U.S was the only nation to not sign the U.N resolution ? History does repeat itself.
My feeling is most of the Arab countries want Hamas out, especially Egypt. The thing is, what COULD the Arab countries do to help in thissituation? The Arab League, the UN, Sarkozy and Mubarak can attend as many meetings as they want. This conflict will end when Israel chooses to end it...andaccording to them, they'll stop after they completely cripple Hamas.

[table][tr][td]
LogoPrint.gif
[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]UPDATED ON:
Wednesday, January 07, 2009
15:27 Mecca time, 12:27 GMT[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td]FOCUS: WAR ON GAZA [/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]Gaza diary: Are we not human?[/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [/tr][tr][td] By Mohammed Ali in Gaza City[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td]
20091711315021734_8.jpg
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Many Gazans feel hopeless in the face of the Israeli bombardment [GALLO/GETTY][/td] [/tr][/table]
As the death toll from Israel's war on Gaza continues to climb, Mohammed Ali, an advocacy and media researcher for Oxfam who lives in Gaza City, will be keeping a diary of his feelings and experiences. [table][tr][td]Are we not human?[/td] [/tr][/table]
The air, the sea and the earth in Gaza City are now occupied by the Israeli military. They occupy Gazans' minds, nerves and ears too.

In a bid to stop my children twitching, jerking, trembling and waking at every sound of an attack during their few hours of sleep and their many waking hours, I put cotton wool in their ears - it has not worked.

I wonder what damage is being done to my children's tiny hearts. Theirs are not as big as mine, they can cope less with the stress that is being put on them.
[table][tr][td]IN DEPTH[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Latest news and analysis from Gaza and Israel[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Send us your views and videos[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Watch our coverage of the war on Gaza[/td] [/tr][/table]We ran out of fuel for our generator, which meant that we were confined to a small room filled with eleven people, with little light for three days.

We have not had water either; our well can only pump water if it has electricity which most of the Gaza Strip has been denied since this nightmare started.
Unlike many other families, we were fortunate yesterday to find 20 litres of benzene to power our generator. No fuel has come in since the onset of this attack on Gaza so we had to pay seven times its usual price.

We have one day's worth of food left and the nappies I bought two weeks ago are nearly gone. They are not good quality as little has been able to enter this strip of land since the blockade was imposed on us 18 months ago. Bad quality nappies mean unpleasant leakages, and for the last few days the little ones have had to be bathed in freezing cold water.

My sister who was with us the last time I wrote decided to return home in spite of our protests. She feared that with food reserves running out we might have to eat one meal a day rather than the two we have been having of late. At home she has a little food left, enough to keep her and her family going for a while longer.

We are now 11, huddled together in my parents' dining room. My brother and I and our families moved there, thinking that the first floor may be the safest option.

There is a saying in Arabic which says "death in a group is a mercy". I guess if we die together maybe, just maybe, we will feel less of the pain than in doing so alone.

I have had 8 hours sleep since the beginning of this conflict; we can hear attacks almost every minute.

I think to myself, if one of us is injured or needs medical attention what will happen? Ambulances are finding it difficult to reach civilians, roads are blocked by rubble, Israeli forces in their path - you could bleed to death.

Even if they did get to us, maybe we would be bombed on our way to the hospital. If we did reach the hospital there might not be enough room to treat us - there is little medication or equipment or any electricity to fuel the life-saving equipment. We would not even be able to get out of Gaza for the life-saving treatment we needed.

Hospitals are now running on back-up generators making life even more difficult for the doctors who are trying to cope with the influx of the injured. If fuel runs out for the generators, those on life-saving equipment will perish.

I heard a woman calling into a radio station today - ambulance services could not reach her and I guess she thought the radio station might be able to do something. She was wailing down the phone "our home is on fire, my children are dying, help me". I do not know what happened to her and her children - I do not want to imagine.

I spend much of my time thinking that this could be the last hour of my existence.

As I try to fall asleep, I hear on the radio the numbers of people who have died rising by the hour. I wonder if tomorrow morning, I will be part of that body count, part of the next breaking news.

I will be just another number to all those watching the death and destruction in Gaza or maybe the fact that I work for Oxfam will mean that I will be a name and not just a number. I might be talked about for a minute and moments later forgotten, like all those other people who have had their lives taken away from them.

I am not afraid of dying - I know that one day we all must die. But not like this, not sitting idly in my home with my children in my arms waiting for our lives to be taken away. I am disgusted by this injustice.

What is the international community waiting for - to see even more dismembered people and families erased before they act? Time is ticking by and the numbers of dead and injured are increasing. What are they waiting for?

What is happening is against humanity, are we not human?
[/td] [/tr][/table]http://english.aljazeera.net/focus/war_on_gaza/2009/01/200917111341829322.htmlhttp://english.aljazeera....1/200917111341829322.html [/td] [/tr][/table]

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Originally Posted by MidEastBeast

I read an interesting article which explained that the reason Arab countries aren't doing more to help is because they want Israel to keep Hamas in check because it indirectly keeps Iran (which funds, arms and supports Hamas) from gaining influence in the area.

That's just disgusting. Speaking of the Arab countries, CNN has confirmed that Israeli F16's have violated Egyptian airspace, of course Israel denies it.

My feeling is most of the Arab countries want Hamas out, especially Egypt. The thing is, what COULD the Arab countries do to help in this situation? The Arab League, the UN, Sarkozy and Mubarak can attend as many meetings as they want. This conflict will end when Israel chooses to end it...and according to them, they'll stop after they completely cripple Hamas.

They can atleast help the civilians.

Egypt is treating the Palestinians stranded at the border like dogs.

Over 1,100 Palestinians killed (approx. half civilians) and 13 Israelis at this point.� Very sad.� Let people know what is going on, NT.

Israel shelling UN headquarters in Gaza
http://news.yahoo.com/s/a...ea/ml_israel_palestinians

"Terrorism is a war of the poor, and war is terrorism of the rich."� Pretty interesting videos about Hamas (though I don't know who the guy isthat is speaking - pretty fair assessment imo though):

[h1]UN accuses Israel over phosphorus[/h1]
John Ging told the BBC that in spite of discussions with the Israeli liaison, "three rounds that emitted phosphorus" hit a corner of the Gaza City facility.

Israel's military said all weapons it used complied with international law.

Phosphorus shells are legal to use as a battlefield obscurant, but are banned from use where civilians may be harmed.

Human Rights Watch says it has observed "dozens and dozens" of white phosphorus shells being fired by Israel at the Gaza Strip - a heavily populated civilian area where its use is prohibited.

Palestinian medical officials said they had treated large numbers of casualties with unusual burns that were extremely painful to treat and could be consistent with exposure to white phosphorus (WP).

The Israeli military has declined to comment on specific munitions used during the 20-day offensive, but said any its weapons were used in compliance with international law.

There is no way independently to explain the contradiction between both sides' reports, as Israel has prevented international journalists from entering Gaza since its offensive began on 27 December.

'Relentless bombardment'

In an interview with the BBC, Mr Ging, director of operations in Gaza for the UN Relief and Works Agency (Unrwa), said the area surrounding its compound had been under "relentless artillery and tank bombardment all night and all day".

Some rounds, Mr Ging said, had struck a part of the compound where about 700 residents of nearby blocks of flats were taking shelter. Three people were injured in the bombardment.

"Then an hour later, in spite of our protests and real-time discussions with the Israeli liaison, three rounds that emitted phosphorous struck the other corner of the compound," he added.

The compound is Unrwa's main distribution hub in Gaza and Mr Ging said the shells set alight part of a warehouse in which there were stored thousands of tonnes of food and medicine, and the workshop area.

The fires then threatened to engulf five fuel tankers, which had been due to be sent out that morning, but could not leave because it was too dangerous outside.

"When the fires broke out, five of our brave staff dashed down there and moved the trucks out of the area, so we avoided a massive explosion," he said.

Mr Ging told CNN the fire was very difficult to extinguish because the smoke from WP becomes toxic if water is used.

Following the incident, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon - in Israel to push for a ceasefire in the Gaza Strip - expressed his "outrage" and demanded a full explanation from the Israeli government.

"The defence minister said to me it was a grave mistake and he took it very seriously. He assured me that extra attention will be paid to UN facilities and staff and this will not be repeated," Mr Ban said.

Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert said the compound had been targeted after militants had opened fire from there.

"It is absolutely true that we were attacked from that place, but the consequences are very sad and we apologise for it," he said. "I don't think it should have happened and I'm very sorry."

'Indiscriminate'

White phosphorus sticks to human skin and will burn right through to the bone, causing death or leaving survivors with painful wounds which are slow to heal.

The international convention on the use of incendiary weapons says it should not be used where there is a possibility of hitting civilians. An Israeli military spokesman said it was investigating the reports, but reiterated earlier assurances about the legality of its weaponry.

White phosphorus is permitted on the battlefield to make smoke screens to allow troops to move undetected, and also to impede infrared anti-tank weapons.

But its use in the densely populated areas of central Gaza City would be "unlawful", as it dispersal would be indiscriminate and could put civilians at risk, says Human Rights Watch military analyst Marc Garlasco.

"The Israeli military may be using legal weapons, but it is using the weapons in an illegal manner," Mr Garlasco told the BBC News website.

He said he had observed dozens and dozens WP shells used by the Israeli army over Gaza since 27 December, both ground-burst shells and air-burst, scattering distinctive burning lumps of phosphorus which left white smoke trails.

"We are absolutely certain this is white phosphorus, this is the singular, unique visual signature of white phosphorus on the battlefield. Not only have I seen it for myself but I have checked with US artillery," Mr Garlasco added.
Mr Garlasco also examined a press photograph which showed a burning lump of matter in the UN compound. He said it "definitely appeared" to be WP, but that the photo was not detailed enough to say with complete certainty.
Source: BBC

UK Jewish lawmaker: Israeli forces acting like Nazis

LONDON, England (CNN) -- Israeli military action in Gaza is comparable to that of German soldiers during the Holocaust, a Jewish UK lawmaker whose familysuffered at the hands of the Nazis has claimed.

A protester confronts police in London last weekend at a demonstration against Israeli action in Gaza.

Gerald Kaufman, a member of the UK's ruling Labour Party, also called for an arms embargo on Israel, currently fighting militant Palestinian group Hamas,during the debate in the British parliament Thursday.

"My grandmother was ill in bed when the Nazis came to her home town of Staszow. A German soldier shot her dead in her bed," said Kaufman, who addedthat he had friends and family in Israel and had been there "more times than I can count."

"My grandmother did not die to provide cover for Israeli soldiers murdering Palestinian grandmothers in Gaza."

Kaufman, a senior Labour politician who was raised as an Orthodox Jew, has often opposed Israeli policy throughout his career.

Israel has said it initiated the operation into Gaza -- which is controlled by Hamas -- to stop rocket fire on its southern cities and towns. ThirteenIsraelis, including 10 soldiers, have died in the operation in Gaza and from rocket strikes on southern Israel, according to the Israeli military.

More than 1,000 Palestinians have been killed, including many civilians, Palestinian medics said.

During Thursday's debate, Kaufman also said that Israel needed to seek real peace and not peace by conquest, which would be impossible.

He also accused the Israeli government of "ruthlessly and cynically exploiting the continuing guilt from gentiles over the slaughter of Jews in theHolocaust as justification for their murder of Palestinians."

But Kaufman added that while it is necessary to talk to Hamas, which had been chosen by an electorate, it nevertheless is a "deeply nastyorganization."

Bill Rammell, the Minister of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, said the UK government backed an EU presidency statement calling Israeli actiondisproportionate. But he also criticized Hamas rocket attacks on Israel during the cease-fire between June and December 2008, adding that the militantgroup's "whole ethos is one of violence" and that it had "made a brutal choice to step up attacks against innocent civilians."

"Nothing, not the restrictions on Gaza nor its frustration with the peace process, justifies what Hamas has done and continues to do," Rammell said."In December, I was in Ashkelon near the Gaza border, and I heard the sirens. The fear was palpable: This is daily psychological and actual warfare."

Rammell added that Hamas has "committed acts of terrorism, it is committed to the obliteration of the state of Israel, and its statement last week that itwas legitimate to kill Jewish children anywhere in the world was utterly chilling and beyond any kind of civilised, humanitarian norm."

The debate came on the day that Saeed Siam, Hamas' third-ranking leader in the territory, was killed by an Israeli airstrike, the Islamic militant groupreported.

The United Nations' main relief compound in the territory was also hit and set on fire, which U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon blamed on Israel.

Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert expressed sorrow over the incident but said Israeli forces were responding to militant fire near the complex.

UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown described the shelling of the compound as "indefensible," media agencies reported.

Speaking to Ban during a call, Brown said the UK would increase its calls for a cease-fire and also deliver aid to Gaza once a cease-fire took hold.

Britain has witnessed several demonstrations since the conflict in Gaza began late last month.

Last Saturday, up to 20,000 people gathered outside the Israeli Embassy in London, Metropolitan Police said.

Later, parts of the crowd began pelting officers with sticks, rocks and pieces of metal barriers, police said. A similar protest Sunday was peaceful.

Rallies were also held in London and Manchester last weekend in support of Israeli action against Hamas.

http://edition.cnn.com/20...e/01/16/uk.israel.debate/

TERRIBLE. JUST TERRIBLE.

I still dont understand how evangelicals and the rest of the hardline right can so blindly supportive of Israel, the brainwashing has worked.. LOOK AT THISSHAMELESS SLAUGHTER OF CIVILIANS HOW IS THIS JUSTIFIABLE?

DURING WW2 EVERYONE WANTED TO GET ALL WORKED UP ABOUT THE WAR CRIMES AGAINST THE JEWS

WHERE IS ALL THE CONCERN NOW?

ITS ALL BEEN FUNNELED TO THE PRO ISRAELI SIDE DUE TO OUR ZIONIST MEDIA MOGULS WHO HAVE THE GENERAL AMERICAN POP IN CONSENSUS TO THEIR IDEALS!

SMFH x 10838383838383838383!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Phosphorus stuff is just terrible man.� Absolutely terrible.

Oh and Israel actually admitted that Hamas had not fired a single rocket during the ceasefire.

I'm honestly not sure how credible this is since I'm only seeing this on Yahoo News, but if true, this is truly, truly inexcusable.

I'm just disgusted right now, and furious.

[h1]Arabs: Israel ammo in Gaza had depleted uranium[/h1]
VIENNA, Austria - Arab nations accused Israel on Monday of blasting Gaza with ammunition containing depleted uranium and urged the International Atomic Energy Agency to investigate reports that traces of it had been found in victims of the shelling.

In a letter on behalf of Arab ambassadors accredited in Austria, Prince Mansour Al-Saoud, the Saudi Ambassador, expressed "our deep concern regarding the information ... that traces of depleted uranium have been found in Palestinian victims."

A final draft of the letter was made available to The Associated Press on Monday. It urgently requested IAEA Director General Mohamed ElBaradei to "carry out a radiological and physical assessment in order to verify the presence of depleted uranium in the weaponry used by Israel ... in the Gaza Strip."

Officials at the Israeli mission to the IAEA said they were in no position to comment without having seen the letter.

IAEA spokeswoman Melissa Fleming confirmed receipt of the letter and said a response might be issued later in the day.

The letter - which spoke of "medical and media sources" as the origin of its allegations - appeared to be alluding to health concerns related to depleted uranium but the effects of exposure to the substance are unclear.

An IAEA article on the issue says that while the substance "is assumed to be potentially carcinogenic ... the lack of evidence for a definite cancer risk in studies over many decades is significant and should put the results of assessments in perspective."

Still, says the article, "there is a risk of developing cancer from exposure to radiation emitted by ... depleted uranium. This risk is assumed to be proportional to the dose received."

It is not the first time Israel has been accused of using ordnance containing depleted uranium, which makes shells and bombs harder and increases their penetrating power. The Israeli army declined comment. But the U.S. and NATO have used uranium-depleted rounds in Bosnia and Iraq.

According to the World Health Organization, the weapons are lightly radioactive, though "under most circumstances, use of DU will make a negligible contribution to the overall natural background levels of uranium in the environment."

But researchers have suspected depleted uranium may be behind a range of chronic symptoms suffered by veterans of the 1990-91 Gulf War. Some of the symptoms include memory and thinking problems, debilitating fatigue, severe muscle and joint pain, depression, anxiety, insomnia, headaches and rashes.

Syria, which is being investigated by the Vienna-based agency for alleged secret nuclear activities, says traces of uranium found by IAEA experts at a site bombed by Israel jets Sept. 6, 2007 likely came from bombs or missiles used by the Israelis.

The Israelis have denied using such weaponry in that raid, and on Monday two diplomats accredited to the IAEA and familiar with its Syria investigations told the AP that the agency has virtually ruled out Israeli munitions as the source of the uranium. They asked for anonymity for discussing confidential information.

The IAEA investigation is based in part on intelligence from the U.S., Israel and a third, unidentified country, alleging that the bombed site was a nearly completed nuclear reactor built with North Korean help and meant to produce plutonium - which can be used as the payload of nuclear weapons.

The uranium traces were revealed by an analysis of environmental samples collected by IAEA experts during a visit to the site, in a remote part of the Syrian desert. Since that initial trip in June 2008, Syria has refused or deflected requests for follow up inspections both to the site and others allegedly linked to it.

Yahoo, from AP

To add to your article CallHimAr...

LogoPrint.gif

[table][tr][td]Outcry over weapons used in Gaza[/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td] [table][tr][td]
2009119181525291734_5.jpg
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]One doctor described the injuries as 'new' and 'much more dramatic' than landmine wounds [AFP][/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][/table]
Medics working in the Gaza Strip have condemned Israel's use of suspected "new weapons" that inflict horrific injuries they say most surgeons will not have seen before.

Dr Jan Brommundt, a German doctor working for Medecins du Monde in the south Gazan city of Khan Younis, described the injuries he had seen as "absolutely gruesome".

Speaking to Al Jazeera on Tuesday, Brommundt said surgeons had reported many cases where casualties had lost both legs rather than one, prompting suspicions that the Israelis were using some form of Dense Inert Metal Explosives (Dime).

When detonated, a Dime device expels a blade of charged tungsten dust that burns and destroys everything within a four-metre radius.

Brommundt also described widespread but previously unseen abdominal injuries that appear minor at first but degenerate within hours causing multi-organ failure.
[table][tr][td]
"It seems to be some sort of explosive... that disperses tiny particles... that penetrate all organs"

Dr Jan Brommundt
[/td] [/tr][/table]"Initially everything seems in order... but they will present within one to five hours with an acute abdomen which looks like appendicitus but it turns out on operation that dozens of miniature particles can be found in all of their organs," he said.
"It seems to be some sort of explosive or shell that disperses tiny particles at around 1x1 or 2x1 millimetres that penetrate all organs, these miniature injuries, you are not able to attack them surgically."

The doctors said many patients succomb to septicaemia and die within 24 hours.

Dr Erik Fosse, a Norwegian surgeon who worked at the Al-Shifa hospital in northern Gaza during the Israeli offensive in Gaza, also told Al Jazeera there was a significant increase in double amputations.

"We suspect they [Israel] used Dime weapons because we saw cases of huge amputations or flesh torn off the lower parts of the body," he said.

"The pressure wave [from a Dime device] moves from the ground upwards and that's why the majority of patients have huge injuries to the lower part of the body and abdomen."

Cancer fears

Fosse described the injuries as "extreme" and "much more dramatic" than those inflicted by landmines as "legs are blown off to the groin, it's like they have been cut to pieces".
[table][tr][td]IN DEPTH[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Analysis and features from Gaza and Israel[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Track the war and submit your own reports[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Send us your views and eyewitness videos[/td] [/tr][/table]He described them as "new injuries" that most doctors will not have come across, although he noted similar wounds were reported in the 2006 Lebanon war.
Noting that Dime explosives are precision weapons that are supposed to minimise civilian casualties, Fosse said: "The problem is that most of the patients I saw were children. If they [the Israelis] are trying to be accurate, it seems obvious these weapons were aimed at children."

Fosse called on the UN to establish a body in Gaza to monitor survivors to see if they developed cancer, following claims Dime devices contain radioactive material.

Medics and observers have also accused the Israelis of using white phosphorus - banned from use near civilians under international law - in the densely populated Gaza Strip.

Human rights organisation Amnesty International (AI) said on Monday that delegates it sent to Gaza had found "indisputable evidence of widespread use of white phosphorus in densely populated residential areas in Gaza City and in the north".

"We saw streets and alleyways littered with evidence of the use of white phoshorus, including still burning wedges and the remnants of the shells and canisters fired by the Israeli army," Christopher Cobb-Smith, a weapons expert touring Gaza as part of AI's four-person delegation, said.

White phosphorus is a toxic chemical that causes severe burns and sparks fires that are difficult to extinguish.

It is dispersed in artillery shells, bombs and rockets and burns on contact with oxygen and is used to create a smokescreen to hide the movement of troops.

War crimes?

Israel fiercely denies using weapons in such a way as to contravene international law.

Major Avital Leibovich, a spokeswoman for the Israeli military, reiterated Israel was using "munitions that other militaries in the world are using" and that weapons were deployed "according to international law" .

Pressed on the number of civilian and child casualties in Gaza, she accused Hamas, the Palestinian faction that controls the territory, of hiding fighters within civilian areas and using ordinary Gazans as "human shields".
[table][tr][td]
"Israelis in responsible positions, as well as Palestinians ... are going to be looking over their shoulders in the days and weeks to come"

Mark Taylor, international law expert
[/td] [/tr][/table]Leibovich also said the international community needed to ask itself whether Hamas and other Palestinian factions had committed war crimes by firing rockets at Israeli citizens for eight years.
More than 1,300 Palestinians have been killed in the 22-day offensive, many of them woman and children, and 5,340 injured. Thirteen Israelis, including 10 soldiers and three civilians, have been killed in the same period.

The number of civilian deaths has provoked an international outcry, with senior UN officials demanding an independent investigation into whether Israel has committed war crimes.

The likelihood of either side being subject to a war-crimes action seems remote as the International Criminal Court (ICC) has no jurisdiction to investigate because the Gaza Strip is not a state.

In addition, Israel has not signed the Rome Statute that enshrined the ICC so any investigation would require a UN Security mandate - likely to be vetoed by Israel's ally, the US.

However, Mark Taylor, an international law expert, told Al Jazeera that individual commanders and politicians on both sides could be subject to legal actions lodged abroad.

"I think that Israelis in responsible positions, as well as Palestinians in responsible positions, are going to be looking over their shoulders in the days and weeks to come," he said.
[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td] Source:[/td] [td]Al Jazeera and agencies[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][/table]http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2009/01/200911916132228885.htmlhttp://english.aljazeera....1/200911916132228885.html

Thanks theconditioner for that interview. Chomsky is one of my favorite intellectuals ever. He hit the nail on the head in what he said inthat interview. I yet have to read The Fateful Triangle, but I will read it as soon as I have time to.

I'm bumping this because its not over.

More violence in around Gaza:

Palestinian kills an Israeli soldier in Israel yesterday (I believe)..

Israel in response to their air strikes afterward:

"'The army's reaction today was only operational. This was not the response to the killing of a soldier and wounding of three others. Israel'sresponse shall come,' a senior government official quoted Olmert as saying."

War criminal.

(was here, but it seems to have been updated and removed: http://news.yahoo.com/s/n...nm/us_palestinians_israel )

To the Obama fanboys: please take a look at this guys position in light of the conflict.

(see starting at 6 minutes especially)

(at about 3:58)

Obama's position in terms of foreign policy is NOT much different from previous administrations (including of course the previous one).

Back
Top Bottom