Frustrated Recent College Grads - CHECK IN

s0lefunk

Supporter
Its been about a month since I completed my degree and I knew it was gonna be rough but DAMN.. it is ROUGH out here..

I'm starting to go stir crazy.  My friends either found jobs, are still in school, or moved away.  I want to study for the GMAT but I dont have money for the prep books (online resources only offer so much).  Hell, I cant even waste money on video games.  Parents come home everyday and ask me how my day went knowing damn well I aint done @+++.  Not to mention I have become an errand boy.  22 years old and I stay running to the store or doing chores..  Grown man and I cant bring girls back cause I might wake my parents up..

I will cherish this degree because I went through too much to get it but it really is making me wonder.  I could of been a store manager by now at my old job but instead I quit to go the college route.  Sure I'd hate my life but at least I'd have a salary, my own spot, and/or a better car.

I've been told things might look better when the new fiscal year starts so we'll see. 

Till then, anyone else out there sitting on a degree and not doing @+++ with it?

Its been about a month since I completed my degree and I knew it was gonna be rough but DAMN.. it is ROUGH out here..

I'm starting to go stir crazy.  My friends either found jobs, are still in school, or moved away.  I want to study for the GMAT but I dont have money for the prep books (online resources only offer so much).  Hell, I cant even waste money on video games.  Parents come home everyday and ask me how my day went knowing damn well I aint done @+++.  Not to mention I have become an errand boy.  22 years old and I stay running to the store or doing chores..  Grown man and I cant bring girls back cause I might wake my parents up..

I will cherish this degree because I went through too much to get it but it really is making me wonder.  I could of been a store manager by now at my old job but instead I quit to go the college route.  Sure I'd hate my life but at least I'd have a salary, my own spot, and/or a better car.

I've been told things might look better when the new fiscal year starts so we'll see. 

Till then, anyone else out there sitting on a degree and not doing @+++ with it?

You keep it going man, you keep those books rolling,
You pick up those books your going to read
And not remember and you roll man.
You get that a sociate degree, okay,
Then you get your bachelors, then you get your masters
Then you get your master's masters,
Then you get your doctron,
You go man, then when everybody says quit
You show them those degree man, when
Everybody says hey, your not working,
Your not making in money,
You say look at my degrees and you look at my life,
Yeah i'm 52, so what, hate all you want,
But i'm smart, i'm so smart, and i'm in school,
And these guys are out here making
Money all these ways, and i'm spended mine to be smart.
You know why?
Because when i die, buddy, you know
What going to keep me warm, that right, those degrees

You keep it going man, you keep those books rolling,
You pick up those books your going to read
And not remember and you roll man.
You get that a sociate degree, okay,
Then you get your bachelors, then you get your masters
Then you get your master's masters,
Then you get your doctron,
You go man, then when everybody says quit
You show them those degree man, when
Everybody says hey, your not working,
Your not making in money,
You say look at my degrees and you look at my life,
Yeah i'm 52, so what, hate all you want,
But i'm smart, i'm so smart, and i'm in school,
And these guys are out here making
Money all these ways, and i'm spended mine to be smart.
You know why?
Because when i die, buddy, you know
What going to keep me warm, that right, those degrees

Its been a month......

You thought youd be living the life a month after graduating college??

Its been a month......

Were you on the job hunt before you graduated? Folks over here already got offers secured. I know a lot of the 2010 heads that weren't on the active hunt that are chillin right now. Get on the grizzly.

Were you on the job hunt before you graduated? Folks over here already got offers secured. I know a lot of the 2010 heads that weren't on the active hunt that are chillin right now. Get on the grizzly.

i know how you feel...im taking an extra class as a pre-req hoping to get into this program....i should have went this path instead of getting a BS in a wack major (health science)

i know how you feel...im taking an extra class as a pre-req hoping to get into this program....i should have went this path instead of getting a BS in a wack major (health science)

Ever consider relocating? My dude who got his Masters couldn't find a job in his city (Syracuse, NY) but he recently got hired by an advertising firm down in Florida. Another friend of mine moved to Baltimore from San Antonio after college for work. One of my best friends moved to San Francisco from Long Island with what little money he had after graduation and just got hired by a PR firm after interning at another PR firm during the summer.

People shouldn't be afraid to relocate if it'll benefit them. If there's an opportunity elsewhere, take it by the horns. More people need to consider it seeing how in certain markets the unemployment rate is through the roof.

Ever consider relocating? My dude who got his Masters couldn't find a job in his city (Syracuse, NY) but he recently got hired by an advertising firm down in Florida. Another friend of mine moved to Baltimore from San Antonio after college for work. One of my best friends moved to San Francisco from Long Island with what little money he had after graduation and just got hired by a PR firm after interning at another PR firm during the summer.

People shouldn't be afraid to relocate if it'll benefit them. If there's an opportunity elsewhere, take it by the horns. More people need to consider it seeing how in certain markets the unemployment rate is through the roof.

I graduated in December 2009 with a B.S. in Accounting.....still can't get a job in my field 
tired.gif

I graduated in December 2009 with a B.S. in Accounting.....still can't get a job in my field 
tired.gif

It's rough. Real rough.

No matter what people are saying about the economy rebounding, it's all lies.

To all of you saying get on your grind and it's not has hard as it seems or all my friends have jobs, etc. Please consider yourselves lucky and don't try and discourage others.

I have been grinding for a year now. Internships, volunteer opportunitites, networking up to my ears, resumes after resumes, working dead end jobs, etc. Everything you can possibly do. I've done and more. And to be honest I live in area that hasn't felt the recession as bad as other parts of the country, so I can only imagine.

I'm back in school but I feel this is a waste too. I just don't know what else to do.

It's rough. Real rough.

No matter what people are saying about the economy rebounding, it's all lies.

To all of you saying get on your grind and it's not has hard as it seems or all my friends have jobs, etc. Please consider yourselves lucky and don't try and discourage others.

I have been grinding for a year now. Internships, volunteer opportunitites, networking up to my ears, resumes after resumes, working dead end jobs, etc. Everything you can possibly do. I've done and more. And to be honest I live in area that hasn't felt the recession as bad as other parts of the country, so I can only imagine.

I'm back in school but I feel this is a waste too. I just don't know what else to do.

Originally Posted by Durden7

Its been a month......

Son, I've been told by folks from my internship that I'll be taken care of when I graduate.  I had SVPs, Exec. Directors, etc... all checking up on my for the past year just checking my status.  Actually just went to the office a couple weeks ago just let them know I finished and basically all I got was "we'll keep our ears open."  And that, I greatly appreciate by itself along with the references but its like damn.. I had such a feeling of assurance for so long only to hear "I'll keep my ears open?"  It just wasnt what I expected after all this time.

The couple working friends I got went a couple months before they found their respective jobs so I was kinda prepared.  I know a few that found jobs immediately but they are with Teaching for America. 

I'm not above any job but I definitely do not want a job where these last 4 years meant nothing ya know?

Originally Posted by Durden7

Its been a month......

Son, I've been told by folks from my internship that I'll be taken care of when I graduate.  I had SVPs, Exec. Directors, etc... all checking up on my for the past year just checking my status.  Actually just went to the office a couple weeks ago just let them know I finished and basically all I got was "we'll keep our ears open."  And that, I greatly appreciate by itself along with the references but its like damn.. I had such a feeling of assurance for so long only to hear "I'll keep my ears open?"  It just wasnt what I expected after all this time.

The couple working friends I got went a couple months before they found their respective jobs so I was kinda prepared.  I know a few that found jobs immediately but they are with Teaching for America. 

I'm not above any job but I definitely do not want a job where these last 4 years meant nothing ya know?

I moved back to school after a year. It was getting out of hand.

I now have two jobs. No they are not in my field, but they are much, much better than waiting for a phone call that will never, ever, ever come.

To those still in school, you NEED to network your %%* off and intern somewhere, anywhere. If you know someone you greatly increase your chance of finding a job.

It's going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

Back
Top Bottom