Frustrated Recent College Grads - CHECK IN

I feel you s0lefunk, i graduated in May from the uni of Texas with a B.A. in Sociology (so lucrative i know) and now im just chillin at home, working part-time at a dog daycare for min wage. %#*! weak...

PoloLax, its funny that you say being back in school is a waste, what are you back in school for? I wanna go back to get my masters in advertising but part of me wonders what will happen if i get that and still can't find a job..

I moved back to school after a year. It was getting out of hand.

I now have two jobs. No they are not in my field, but they are much, much better than waiting for a phone call that will never, ever, ever come.

To those still in school, you NEED to network your %%* off and intern somewhere, anywhere. If you know someone you greatly increase your chance of finding a job.

It's going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

I feel you s0lefunk, i graduated in May from the uni of Texas with a B.A. in Sociology (so lucrative i know) and now im just chillin at home, working part-time at a dog daycare for min wage. %#*! weak...

PoloLax, its funny that you say being back in school is a waste, what are you back in school for? I wanna go back to get my masters in advertising but part of me wonders what will happen if i get that and still can't find a job..

Originally Posted by ElijahBrohammed

Ever consider relocating? My dude who got his Masters couldn't find a job in his city (Syracuse, NY) but he recently got hired by an advertising firm down in Florida. Another friend of mine moved to Baltimore from San Antonio after college for work. One of my best friends moved to San Francisco from Long Island with what little money he had after graduation and just got hired by a PR firm after interning at another PR firm during the summer.

People shouldn't be afraid to relocate if it'll benefit them. If there's an opportunity elsewhere, take it by the horns. More people need to consider it seeing how in certain markets the unemployment rate is through the roof.
I'm actually looking at a few jobs down south.  The cost of living down there is so much cheaper but I hear it often shows in the salary too.  But I know 30K in the south goes A LOT further than 30K in DC.  Definitely looking into it.

The real ironic thing is DC has one of, if not, the lowest unemployment rate in the country (if I'm not mistaken).  That just kinda adds insult to injury. 

Ever consider relocating? My dude who got his Masters couldn't find a job in his city (Syracuse, NY) but he recently got hired by an advertising firm down in Florida. Another friend of mine moved to Baltimore from San Antonio after college for work. One of my best friends moved to San Francisco from Long Island with what little money he had after graduation and just got hired by a PR firm after interning at another PR firm during the summer.

People shouldn't be afraid to relocate if it'll benefit them. If there's an opportunity elsewhere, take it by the horns. More people need to consider it seeing how in certain markets the unemployment rate is through the roof.
I'm actually looking at a few jobs down south.  The cost of living down there is so much cheaper but I hear it often shows in the salary too.  But I know 30K in the south goes A LOT further than 30K in DC.  Definitely looking into it.

The real ironic thing is DC has one of, if not, the lowest unemployment rate in the country (if I'm not mistaken).  That just kinda adds insult to injury. 

i have been waiting for this thread... I graduated in May and CANNOT find a job. I applied to sooo many places and cant find anything. I had a job as a financial services rep (sales) but quit now i cant fnd nethin. I have No money no job no girl my life sucks. I cant take getting turnd down by one more job

Hang in there, it's only been one month. There are many people with advanced degrees, coupled with tons experience unable to find employment, it's just the nature of the beast right now. I just found a job, three months after finishing grad school, and through networking (in my case a recent internship I did during the second year in my program) got hired by the school district I did my internship with. As mentioned, you should not be afraid to relocate if an opportunity presents itself, as in some areas it's like hitting the lottery in terms of finding employment. The field (i.e. your major) also plays a huge role in one's ability to find employment. Buena Suerte

i have been waiting for this thread... I graduated in May and CANNOT find a job. I applied to sooo many places and cant find anything. I had a job as a financial services rep (sales) but quit now i cant fnd nethin. I have No money no job no girl my life sucks. I cant take getting turnd down by one more job

Hang in there, it's only been one month. There are many people with advanced degrees, coupled with tons experience unable to find employment, it's just the nature of the beast right now. I just found a job, three months after finishing grad school, and through networking (in my case a recent internship I did during the second year in my program) got hired by the school district I did my internship with. As mentioned, you should not be afraid to relocate if an opportunity presents itself, as in some areas it's like hitting the lottery in terms of finding employment. The field (i.e. your major) also plays a huge role in one's ability to find employment. Buena Suerte

Money87 wrote:
You never quit a job unless you have a prospect lined up. While you may think that you are the only one in this position you are not. Don't be so down on yourself.

Money87 wrote:
You never quit a job unless you have a prospect lined up. While you may think that you are the only one in this position you are not. Don't be so down on yourself.

Money87 wrote:

hahah funny thing is i stay preaching this theory and now look at me. Even the local grocery stores arent hiring

Money87 wrote:

hahah funny thing is i stay preaching this theory and now look at me. Even the local grocery stores arent hiring

Always have an exit strategy.

One of the best things ever told to me.

This isn't a reference to the OP, just to those who quit their job without having anything lined up.  It used to be easy, now it's tough to find a decent job.  Always have your ducks in a row.  Quitting in a blaze of glory- it will feel nice for a minute and might give you e-props, but it will shut a door and burn more than one bridge.

Always have an exit strategy.

One of the best things ever told to me.

This isn't a reference to the OP, just to those who quit their job without having anything lined up.  It used to be easy, now it's tough to find a decent job.  Always have your ducks in a row.  Quitting in a blaze of glory- it will feel nice for a minute and might give you e-props, but it will shut a door and burn more than one bridge.

Graduated in May, currently workin security at a hotel. I HATE this @@!! but it's payin the bills. B.A. in History, mapping out relocating before I start applyin to Law School. Goin back to school in the spring to get my Paralegal Certificate to add to my resume. It's def hard out here. Even top consultants said that we are in a tough spot as recent graduates and what not. Is this life?
laugh.gif

Graduated in May, currently workin security at a hotel. I HATE this @@!! but it's payin the bills. B.A. in History, mapping out relocating before I start applyin to Law School. Goin back to school in the spring to get my Paralegal Certificate to add to my resume. It's def hard out here. Even top consultants said that we are in a tough spot as recent graduates and what not. Is this life?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by s0leFUNK

I got my B.A. in Economics from Univ. of MD, College Park

Fear the Turtle
I feel you, graduated with the same but from Univ. North Texas

I'm back in school for my MBA and I have a pretty low paying job right now...barely floating out here

Originally Posted by s0leFUNK

I got my B.A. in Economics from Univ. of MD, College Park

Fear the Turtle
I feel you, graduated with the same but from Univ. North Texas

I'm back in school for my MBA and I have a pretty low paying job right now...barely floating out here

Present.

graduated mid-August with a BEE
~1 month of leisurely job searching for me w/ no bites but I might have an "in" once Q3 ends

Present.

graduated mid-August with a BEE
~1 month of leisurely job searching for me w/ no bites but I might have an "in" once Q3 ends

I will cherish this degree because I went through too much to getit but it really is making me wonder.  I could of been a store managerby now at my old job but instead I quit to go the college route.  SureI'd hate my life but at least I'd have a salary, my own spot, and/or abetter car.
Dude, you made the right decision going to college. Being a store manager would've paid off in the short term but then what happens after a couple years when you're doing something you dislike with an average salary and just a high school diploma? University is all about long term success anyways...it requires more time to graduate, may take you a while to find a job and a while to make a decent salary but eventually most people get to where they want to be in life. At the end of the day you have way more options with a University degree than you have with a College or high school diploma.

Just look at it this way...in the coming years the recession will be over and baby boomers will be retiring...companies will probably hire indiscriminately.

I will cherish this degree because I went through too much to getit but it really is making me wonder.  I could of been a store managerby now at my old job but instead I quit to go the college route.  SureI'd hate my life but at least I'd have a salary, my own spot, and/or abetter car.
Dude, you made the right decision going to college. Being a store manager would've paid off in the short term but then what happens after a couple years when you're doing something you dislike with an average salary and just a high school diploma? University is all about long term success anyways...it requires more time to graduate, may take you a while to find a job and a while to make a decent salary but eventually most people get to where they want to be in life. At the end of the day you have way more options with a University degree than you have with a College or high school diploma.

Just look at it this way...in the coming years the recession will be over and baby boomers will be retiring...companies will probably hire indiscriminately.

Back
Top Bottom