FX’s Shōgun Thread - on Hulu and FX.

This cant be the end.

"I was punching the air when I saw her get blown up"

Last edited:
john's gotta be choppin Yabushige's head in the finale.

facebook_1713571297300_7187238946553410626_939840664883770.jpeg

I still think its a bit slow and have so many pumpfakes, but I heavily enjoy it and wished they made it more than just 1 season. It annoys me people call it the Asian Game of Thrones. If they actually did the Sengoku period instead of the Tokugawa/Toranaga period, it would put GOT to shame. Never seen GOT btw.

I know its based off a book but if they did a Sengoku period spinoff, it would have much more betrayal, warfare, and drama that would involve Lady Ochiba's uncle (Oda Nobunaga), Mariko's father, the dead Taiko and Toranaga as huge players before we get to the 5 Regents. They keep showing flashbacks of some of the people in the Sengoku period that leads to the characters to where they are in Shogun, but I find the actual flashbacks would be better TV. We just wouldn't have Blackthorn and I don't know how America would react to a whole time period drama of Japan. They could probably even market it around Yasuke who was the 1st black samurai who was serving under Lady Ochiba's uncle. Shiiiit, let me be a writer for season 2 :lol:

I still think its a bit slow and have so many pumpfakes, but I heavily enjoy it and wished they made it more than just 1 season. It annoys me people call it the Asian Game of Thrones. If they actually did the Sengoku period instead of the Tokugawa/Toranaga period, it would put GOT to shame. Never seen GOT btw.

I know its based off a book but if they did a Sengoku period spinoff, it would have much more betrayal, warfare, and drama that would involve Lady Ochiba's uncle (Oda Nobunaga), Mariko's father, the dead Taiko and Toranaga as huge players before we get to the 5 Regents. They keep showing flashbacks of some of the people in the Sengoku period that leads to the characters to where they are in Shogun, but I find the actual flashbacks would be better TV. We just wouldn't have Blackthorn and I don't know how America would react to a whole time period drama of Japan. They could probably even market it around Yasuke who was the 1st black samurai who was serving under Lady Ochiba's uncle. Shiiiit, let me be a writer for season 2 :lol:

Would love to see such a spinoff, but I don't personally think Shogun suffers from lack of action. I am personally PLENTY interested in just about anything based in Japan in this era. If anything, I would like to see more from outside the ruling class. While I don't dislike the character, and can understand that it is a useful perspective for some viewers, I feel like the whole Blackthorne character is an unnecessary macguffin for Shogun and probably the weakest part.

If you saw GOT you wouldn’t even entertain the comparison. Two completely different shows, and GOT was great.

If you saw GOT you wouldn’t even entertain the comparison. Two completely different shows, and GOT was great.
Screenshot_20240420_115229_Samsung Internet.jpg

I mean this is what I generally think of GOT so I drew comparison with the height of Japan's Sengoku period which is probably 20-50 years before the setting of Shogun with much more intricate characters than Toranaga.

I'm glad you're not putting them together in the same class but from some of things I've seen online, people tend to. Only reason why I said it would put GOT to shame is that these "characters" I mentioned are actually real people with just as much conviction of survival, politics and drama as the fictional characters in GOT. Of course it would depend on the writers and production to polish it off but I understand why GOT got the credit it deserves.

Would love to see such a spinoff, but I don't personally think Shogun suffers from lack of action. I am personally PLENTY interested in just about anything based in Japan in this era. If anything, I would like to see more from outside the ruling class. While I don't dislike the character, and can understand that it is a useful perspective for some viewers, I feel like the whole Blackthorne character is an unnecessary macguffin for Shogun and probably the weakest part.
Glad you're enjoying it. You would definitely be interested in Lady Ochiba's uncle who is Oda Nobunaga and Toyotomi Hideyoshi who is the dead Taiko they keep referring to on the show. They both came from low ranking clans outside of the ruling class to become Shogun and Taiko of Japan. The Taiko was even from the peasant class which was why he couldn't be considered an actual Shogun when Nobunaga died.

Shoguns beginning was lacking some of this info so it didn't really set the foundation right in a historical standpoint. Toranaga served both these guys and even fought with the Taiko a few decades before the 5 Regents were set up so he was really always out for himself and his clan.

I can't wait for the finale tho, hopefully it delivers on all points.

Last edited:
"Yabushige-dono! There are no catfish in the pond..."

That's when yabu knew the game was rigged from the start.

Back
Top Bottom