FX's ATLANTA (Starring Donald Glover) S4 Final episode

In

I briefly recall Regina talking about this a while ago.

I see about 4 familiar faces in the trailer though.

Emmy Episode Analysis: Katt Williams (‘Atlanta’) Earns First Nomination as the Man With the Golden Gun in ‘Alligator Man’
katt-williams-atlanta.jpg

https://www.goldderby.com/article/2...illiams-atlanta-alligator-man-news-624803751/

Stand-up comedian and musician Katt Williams is nominated for his first ever Emmy: Best Comedy Guest Actor in “Atlanta.” Williams appears in the season two premiere episode “Alligator Man” as Earn’s (Donald Glover) uncle Willie who has gotten himself into a bit of a domestic dispute much to his nephew’s chagrin. Williams’s nomination is one of nine major noms for the series, including three others in the acting fields, two for writing, two for directing, and one for Best Comedy Series.

In “Alligator Man,” Williams’s character sets the tone for the entire season and delivers one of the show’s most comedic turns. Over the course of the episode Willie antagonizes Earn, who has arrived to prevent the police from getting involved to the point of frustration. But in the end Willie provides Earn with much-needed wisdom about learning from mistakes, and he also bequeaths to him a gold-plated gun that has implications for Earn later in the season.

Can Williams win for this episode? Let’s take a look at the pros and cons:

PROS

Williams is the titular character of his episode submission, as were recent champs Peter Scolari (2016 winner for the “Girls” episode “Good Man”) and Bradley Whitford (2015 winner for the “Transparent” episode “Best New Girl”). As a guest performer on any show,l having an entire episode focused on you is a huge plus, giving voters a wealth of material to consider when making their decision.

Every other nominee in this category — Sterling K. Brown (“Brooklyn Nine-Nine”), Donald Glover (“SNL”), Bill Hader (“SNL”), Lin-Manuel Miranda (“Curb Your Enthusiasm”) and Bryan Cranston (“Curb”) — is a previous Emmy winner so any voters looking to award someone new could easily see Williams as their guy, especially given his long career in comedy.

CONS

Williams is also up against “Atlanta” series creator and star Glover, so voters who watch the episode submissions in this category will get to see two wildly different Glover performances for the price of one. So Williams’s nomination could potentially help Glover more than himself.

Glover and “SNL” alum Bill Hader are not only multiple acting nominees this year, but also earned nominations for their work as producers, directors and writers of their series — Hader co-created “Barry,” which has 13 total nominations. Glover and Hader are up against one another in a total of five categories this year, so Comedy Guest Actor could be seen as an opportunity for a consolation win if the other wins the lion’s share of other awards.

So that category is not a part of the show.

Props to Katt though

Not necessarily. He could be a reoccurring guest actor.
I'm talking about the Emmys.
They announced it now so I assume he's not walking up and giving a speech when the awards air.

I'm talking about the Emmys.
They announced it now so I assume he's not walking up and giving a speech when the awards air.
Correct - from Wikipedia:

"Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series
Awarded for
Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series

This is a list of winners and nominees of the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series. Prior to 1988 the category was not gender specific, thus was called Outstanding Guest Performer in a Comedy Series. These awards, like the other "Guest" awards, are not presented at the Primetime Emmy Award ceremony, but rather at the Creative Arts Emmy Award ceremony."

Back
Top Bottom