gas mileage chips for your car?

solarius49

Banned
has anybody ever tried one of these chips that supposed add a few more mpg's to your car and a few more horsepower....? if so how do they work or are theya scam?

just get a "tornado" or w/e thats called, it used to be advertised through an infomercial but you can buy one at kragens.

Don't fall into the hype...none of that crap actually works, just like with most infomercials out there.

You can get a better air filter, ie K&N..you may see 1 MPG more, if that.

It's BS, it's just a resistor. You can get it at radioshack, it tricks the engine into thinking it's sucking in more air when it's not.

+1 on the K&N filter as wj4 suggested. or get a cai

So what's the deal on cold air intakes. I'm thinking about getting one really soon. AEM V2. Good idea?

man if anything a cold air intake will make you waste more gas, change your fuel filter, keep the psi in your tires on the high side, and do regularmaintenance are the only real things to do for better mpg's

YO!
Windows up or down does not make a difference its been proven
From what I understood... when driving highway miles, AC w/ windows up DOES make a difference. But maybe I've still been mislead. DF!!!

Ever since I started driving in 03 I've been really anal on how MPG I get. Every time I fill up the gas tank, I would reset my trip odometer, and the nexttime I fill up, I would divide the miles I've put on by how much gas I put in the car. At the very worst in the hot summer months when the A/C is on allthe time, I've seen a decrease of ~3MPG, which is nothing to write home about IMO.

Originally Posted by AirAnt23

YO!
From what I understood... when driving highway miles, AC w/ windows up DOES make a difference. But maybe I've still been mislead. DF!!!

Mythbusters showed that it's better to put on A/C when going faster than 40mph or something like that.

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

YO!

Mythbusters showed that it's better to put on A/C when going faster than 40mph or something like that.

Yep

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

YO!

Yea I heard that also... While 40 or lower windows down doesnt matter... But if you going constantly for 40 plus then you can have your AC on the highestlevel and it wont matter... If windows are down when going 40 plus more gas will be used cause of the force of the wind...

Originally Posted by abernja

Keep your car under 3000 rpms.

Contrary to popular belief, it doesn't help much. The only way you're going to see a big change is if you're comparing shifting at 3k toshifting at redline continuously. It has more with the engine design itself. Example: my old car with a 3.0L V6 (small V6) had better MPG than myfriend's 2.4L I4 (big I4). And I had more power putting 87 in my car as oppose to 91 as well. Compared to my friend's car that only takes 91 andhigher.

These MPG saving tips are so tedious and involving with very minimal result that it's not really worth doing it.

Originally Posted by mieraviking

keep your ac off and windows up = better gas mileage

Yeah, and you're probably going to lose 10 lbs due to sweating by the time you get to your destination.

Originally Posted by mieraviking

keep your ac off and windows up = better gas mileage

if u wanna get sick word to jordin sparks no air
grin.gif

even 3k is a lot. most cars are fine under 2500. i usually keep it around 2-2200 rpm.

for older cars, stuff like replacing old coolant temp sensor or thermostat can make a big diff. in mpg. intake headers and exhaust doen'st increase MPGcontrary to popular belief that it should b/c it increases air flow. it'll make u use more gas so stock is the way to go. it's not like the i/h/e givesu a big enough power gain over stock anyway.

i guess i'll use my ac more this summer rather than driving w/ the window down on the highways.

Originally Posted by ThuG LyFe

even 3k is a lot. most cars are fine under 2500. i usually keep it around 2-2200 rpm.

for older cars, stuff like replacing old coolant temp sensor or thermostat can make a big diff. in mpg. intake headers and exhaust doen'st increase MPG contrary to popular belief that it should b/c it increases air flow. it'll make u use more gas so stock is the way to go. it's not like the i/h/e gives u a big enough power gain over stock anyway.

i guess i'll use my ac more this summer rather than driving w/ the window down on the highways.

Again, it depends on the car. Compared the gains of i/h/e on a DC5 (which is damn impressive) to that of say a Z32 or G35 (non HR engine, which is prettyminimal). I had the same MPG on my Accord after the cold air intake and catback BTW, roughly 22 MPG and I drove like a jerk..redlining every single gear.

Back
Top Bottom